40% of College Students get this question wrong. AND IT MAKES ME ANGRY!

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
wow... 40% got this wrong? I'm not familiar with the american or british educational systems, college comes after highschool, right? if so, shame on those 40%. it's dead easy... if highschool and college are the same thing, it was probably the firstyears that got it wrong or something. anyone who followed a highschool math course could've solved this with two fingers up their nose.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
buggy65 said:
I am a math major and this saddens and angers me.
Fine. You decided to study maths longer than most people in your college. Ever thought that maybe people who aren't studying maths might not need to know how to "foil" (we called it "expanding" in the UK) anymore?

People have to study languages at high school too. I chose to do a degree in languages, having never got any pleasure or interest in studying maths up until the age of 16. Do you think I get mad because people who didn't study languages have no idea how to fully conjugate verbs in French, German, Spanish or Italian? No, mainly because it's not important knowledge to people who don't choose to study or keep using their language skills. What does make my blood boil is people who travel to a foreign country and don't make any effort to speak the language. That's just horrendously arrogant laziness.

Oh, and IIRC, the answer should be
x^2 + 6x + 9.

[sub]Christ, I hope I got that right[/sub]

Look-a-Hill

Nov 18, 2009
Back in the day I would of been able to do this easy as it looks incredibly basic algebra and I was sweet at Maths. But given I've not so much as thought of algebra in about 5 years I've completely forgot everything.

Now I'm all frustrated cause I have no idea where the 6x came from.
Edit: Spoiler ^ proved informative. \o/ now I is clever again.

Miss Kass

Dec 2, 2008
I despise maths, but I can do this. I guess I was always pretty good at expanding equations, though, I used to enjoy writing out long strings of expansions. >__> *weird*

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Agayek said:
Edit: Also, there are a lot of people who study fake majors (like Art, Music, etc), and they don't tend, or need, much in the way of math classes so it's somewhat understandable. Depressing, but understandable.
I'll say the thing that I said on another thread.

Let me guess this straight...You're on a "video game" forum saying that arts/music/literature are useless?

See the problem here?

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
That makes you angry does it? I couldn't expand brackets anymore, I havent done maths in 3 years, but when I did it I got an A, and yet I still couldn't do it without looking up the method.

Point is, unless you're going to be a mathematician, when will you EVER be asked to do a problem like this. Sure, I could understand if 40% of college students got 2+2 wrong, but expanding brackets? Who cares?

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
Well I got it wrong. Then again I haven't done anything like that since high school and I've tried my best to forget.

Anyway, I thought FOIL was just an acronym? A way of remembering the process? I wouldn't actually call the problem FOIL, because we use FOIL to do the problem.

newuseforvintage

In Andre the Giant's posse
Sep 6, 2009
I don't know if it counts as being a dunce but I didn't realize that ^2 was the way of typing 'squared' when you aren't able to actually use the proper symbols.

x^2+6x+9

Daze

Dec 21, 2009
(x+3)^2 = x(x) + 3x + 3x + 3(3) = x^2 + 6x + 9

There, I even showed my work.

Seriously, though. Maybe it's just because I'm a math major as well, but there's no way 40% of college students fail to answer that question. It's basic algebra. It should impossible for that percentage to be true. Should be, at least.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
StBishop said:
I disagree, math always applies. Music doesn't.
Yes, simple math like adding and subtracting are certainly relevant. Is algebra? No. There really isn't a "real world" situation that requires people to do expanding brackets.

Although arguably, music is just as relevant. There was music before their was math after all.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
I am going to be honest. I am a college dropout and I completely forgot how to FOIL. In my defense, I instantly forget pieces of information that I am sure won't come up later in life and I am pretty sure I will never have to FOIL.

Jun 11, 2008
It's
(x[sup]2[/sup]+6x+9)
this is kinda off topic but while we're on the subject of maths in America when you are being taught things like Speed and Weight do you use the Imperial system in school ie. Miles, Pounds, Stone, etc or do you use the Metric system ie Kilograms, Kilometers, etc?

Milney

Feb 17, 2010
Agayek said:
[
Erana said:
"Fake?"
FAKE?

As an art major, I work my ass off. Ask anyone in the IRC; I'm always doing working. I'm here taking a break from doing art, then going back for more.

I'm sorry, but if you seriously think that the arts aren't real majors, you obviously know nothing about it.
Two problems here:

1) You are entering a structured learning environment to learn how to develop a completely subjective talent. No one can teach you how to be creative. They can teach you techniques that worked for famous/skilled artists to guide your art, but they will never be able to teach you how to be artistic. That is 100% entirely with you and whether or not you have the ability. It cannot be taught.
[/quote]

Whilst I studied Biology at University, I think your logic is flawed. University level education should not simply be a straight forward mechanical learning process.

If your higher education is simply a matter of learning how to carry out things by rote, you are being failed by your school. That sort of learning is for standard education in schools where they need to impart the fundamental basics to a large group of people en masse. Higher education is about (or rather should be - alot of institutions get lost in the pursuit of rankings and the like) a forum for sounding ideas off people who (again should) be experts in thier fields and gaining an in-depth understanding of what the field really involves.

Most of my Biology major wasn't simply learning mechanisms or anatomy as I was expected to have learnt that at school (or in my free time if necessary). No most of my contact time was spent arguing Evolutionary Theory with my lecturers, or debating biogeographical issues. Similarly an "art major" from a respected institution is far more than simply learning about how others did it (in fact that has nothing to do with it) but rather a way of allowing people to develop a deeper understanding of the issues they are dealing with and forming a sound basis for thier arguments.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
I used to be good at maths, then I tried it at A-level, and my brain went "Oh fuck! Better get rid of all the other maths stuff too, this is unpossible!"