400 Unqualified Schmucks Sign Up For One-Way Mission to Mars

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
400 Unqualified Schmucks Sign Up For One-Way Mission to Mars

Hundreds of grossly unqualified volunteers have signed up for a proposed one-way trip to Mars as part of a cost-effective private industry effort to colonize the planet.

Douglas Adams [http://www.amazon.com/Hitchhikers-Guide-Galaxy-Deluxe-Anniversary/dp/1400052939/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294697505&sr=1-2] fans will recall that one of the three sapient forms of life on this planet actually descended from the Golgafrinchans, who eons ago decided to tidy up their society a bit by tricking the most useless one-third of the population - hairdressers, insurance salesmen, management consultants, telephone sanitizers and the like - to board a great colonist spaceship which was then hurled out into space and eventually crash-landed on Earth. Now, believe it or not, a group of like-minded citizens is hoping to recreate the journey, except this time they want to make it happen in real life.

Getting to Mars is a relatively simple gig. Getting home is something else entirely. Any team that makes the journey to the red planet will have to take everything it needs for the return trip with it and that's just not practical. One simple yet radical solution is detailed in the November 2010 Journal of Cosmology [http://journalofcosmology.com/Contents12.html]: what goes to Mars, stays on Mars, people included. It's the ultimate suicide mission, yet it's also an idea that a lot of people with dodgy skillsets say they find very attractive.

"I've had a deep desire to explore the universe ever since I was a child and understood what a rocket was," Peter Greaves, a jack-of-all-trades who started his own motorcycle dispatch company and fixes computers and engines on the side, told FoxNews.com [http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/10/space-volunteer-way-mission-mars/]. "I envision life on Mars to be stunning, frightening, lonely, quite cramped and busy. Unlike Earth I wouldn't be able to sit by a stream or take in the view of nature's wonder, or hug a friend, or breath deeply the sweet smell of fresh air - but my experience would be so different from all six to seven billion human beings... that in itself would make up for the things I left behind."

"As the human race continues to expand, it only make sense to explore opportunities for human life out in the cosmos," added Reverend Paul Gregersen, pastor at the Clarno Zion United Methodist Church. "Also, I have the feeling that spiritual issues would come up among the crew. The early explorers on Earth always took clergy with them."

Astronaut psychology expert Albert Harrison said he wouldn't be surprised if a future mission to Mars included someone to serve as a chaplain but pointed out that going there wouldn't actually be the exciting and romantic journey that some enthusiasts might think. "Each day will be pretty much like the rest. The environment, once the novelty wears off, is likely to be deadly boring," he said. "Despite being well prepared and fully equipped there are certain to be unanticipated problems that cannot be remedied. One by one the crew will get old, sick, and die off."

Journal of Cosmology editor Lana Tao said she initially thought the responses to the proposed mission were a joke but as the emails continued to roll in, she realized they were sincere. Among the serious (and seriously under-qualified) volunteers was 69-year-old computer programmer Pasha Rostov, who wrote, "I do VERY well with solitude. I am handy with tools, very good at making things work, have generated my own solar energy, built three houses (with my own hands) and am quite sane and stable. And I am ready to go to Mars. Sign me up."

For the record, the one-way trip to Mars won't be launching anytime soon; the Journal of Cosmology estimated it would be 20 years before a privately-funded mission could get off the ground.

via: Slashdot [http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/01/10/1753246/Mars-Journal-Issue-Inspires-Hundreds-of-One-Way-Trip-Volunteers]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Totally unqualified people, banding together for a likely suicide mission.

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read all day.

And I spent 20 minutes on fanfiction.net earlier.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
Seriously? I mean seriously, these people would probably get bored after 20 days and just kill each other. Or the paranoia would drive them crazy. So many things would go wrong.....but if it went right! SIGN ME UP!

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
The Martians are going to be like "WTF? How stupid are these earthlings?"

...Then they'll blast the humans with laser weapons.

DragonsAteMyMarbles

You matter in this world. Smile!
Feb 22, 2009
What.
This is...
I don't quite...
How...
Plants...
Dongle...
Blrgff...

<color=blue>User "DragonsAteMyMarbles" has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. We apologise for the inconvenience.

BioHazardMan

Sep 22, 2009
Sounds fun amirite?

But really the technology just isn't there yet, We won't be colonizing anywhere for a while and shouldn't send unqualified up most certainly.

Freemon

Nov 18, 2009
I don't know if this is good or bad... In a way, we're putting those people to some good use. Like a lab experiment. Testing technology that real scientists can use later on with less risk. On the other hand, if they find a way to survive there, or if they make contact with an hypothetical alien race...it will be written for all eternity that real human space exploration was started by 400 Schmucks.

We need a backup plan.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
Douglas Adams [http://www.amazon.com/Hitchhikers-Guide-Galaxy-Deluxe-Anniversary/dp/1400052939/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1294697505&sr=1-2] fans will recall that one of the three sapient forms of life on this planet actually descended from the Golgafrinchans, who eons ago decided to tidy up their society a bit by tricking the most useless one-third of the population - hairdressers, insurance salesmen, management consultants, telephone sanitizers and the like - to board a great colonist spaceship which was then hurled out into space and eventually crash-landed on Earth.
That's the very first thing I thought of when I saw that title. Let's just hope they call the ship the 'B' Ark.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Let them go. Maybe something cool will happen, like maybe they'll all get sick with some sort of alien virus and turn into hideous monsters.

[small]*I've been playing a lot Dead Space[/small]

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Look, just because they ain't university qualified is probably a good. The people who signed up may know how to actually fix mechanical stuff, unlike University grads..... who know how to write a good essay.

Honestly, if I was going, I would prefer to be with the guy who could fix the oxygen generator -- and not the guy who can write a highly literate report about the advantages of repairing the damn thing.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
This is the last thing we need: Mars, completely populated of people who are only American. Atleast send some Canadians up or something, mix it up a little.