BioShock 2 DRM Getting Scaled Back

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BioShock 2 DRM Getting Scaled Back

In response to heavy complaints about DRM for its upcoming BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0016BVYA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970338&sr=1-1], 2K Marin has scaled back its DRM plans.

try and explain [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97615-BioShock-2-System-Requirements-DRM-Revealed] how it wasn't quite so bad as it seemed. It seems as though this wasn't enough to silence this particularly squeaky wheel, though, as complaints have continued.

Complaints have continued so fervently, in fact, that 2K Marin seems to have given in to the pressure, quoth a BioShock 2 blog post [http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/article/bioshock2drmupdatescaling]. "Because of this feedback," said the representative in question (read: complaints), "we are scaling back BioShock 2's DRM."

Scaling back doesn't mean completely removed, of course, but here's what's gone: "There will be no SecuROM install limits for either the retail or digital editions of BioShock 2, and SecuROM will be used only to verify the game's executable and check the date. Beyond that, we are only using standard Games for Windows Live non-SSA guidelines, which, per Microsoft, comes with 15 activations (after that, you can reset them with a call to Microsoft.)"

This holds true for both digital and retail versions of BS2, which the representative pointed out now had DRM equal to that of Eidos' Batman: Arkham Asylum, a game that many had pointed out as doing a much better job of the whole thing. Unfortunately, that seems to only be referring to the actual traditional DRM - presumably pirating BioShock 2 won't get you a gimped Big Daddy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94524-Arkham-Asylum-Pirates-Get-a-Gimpy-Batman] (that is a sentence I never thought I'd ever have to write).

So, what do you think? Is it enough to quell the irritated PC masses? Or is it still not good enough?

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
I never really cared about the install limit. What annoys me is gfwl. If this game requires a log in to that just to save your game, its a deal breaker. I hated gfwl in GTA.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
It's better, but it's still a deal breaker for me. Just as it was a deal breaker for me on Crysis, BioShock, the Riddick game and all other games with activation limits.

Add to that the horrible GFWL and it's only worse. I can't stand the thing and it's beyond me why it's used by anyone. I'll suffer through it on Batman and DoW 2 but that's about my limit. It's simply horrible.

So, I'll not be buying BioShock 2 then. Should give me some free room in the budget.

Edit: and I'll not be getting it on my PS3 either. Remove GFWL and activation limits and we got a deal.

obisean

May the Force Be With Me
Feb 3, 2009
Meh, DRM is a waste of money, those that want to pirate it will. It does nothing but piss off paying customers. But this is a dead horse, and I'm putting away my baseball bat.

Gotta give them credit for actually listening though.

Apr 28, 2008
The only good DRM is no DRM. Simple as that.

All it does is punish customers, and Games for Windows Live is just the worst thing you can put into a game.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Hmm. I might actually get this on PC now, or not..... Still on the fence as whether to even get this game. DRM isn't helping. I don't want my nice new shiny PC filled up with SecuROM.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Still not enough, I'm officially no longer purchasing this game. Honestly, as much as I really, absolutely fucking hate SecuROM, it's the GFW Live bit that is driving my decision to a uncompromising NO. I refuse to install that POS for any game, and this one is no exception.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
mavkiel said:
I never really cared about the install limit. What annoys me is gfwl. If this game requires a log in to that just to save your game, its a deal breaker. I hated gfwl in GTA.
Agreed. I don't care about SecuROM, I just don't want the GFWL crap running on my computer, EVER. Honestly, all these friggin' programs--why don't they just throw in a free virus with every game?

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
DRM is like long term rental when YOU decide when you want the rental to end, but you don't really decide, because if I upgrade my computer 1 bit at a time over the months I'm likely going to run out within the year, why should a game effectively make me wait to install the most parts at a time simply to save on an inconvenience I shouldn't have in the first place.

DRM was the reason spore ended up like it did, nuff said.

As for GFWL... I'm on the fence, I'd prefer it if I could just use Steam rather than have thing two, like on Dow2.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
They should just have a keycode like Blizzard games and make the multiplayer available to one computer at a time. DRM didn't work for Spore, so I don't see the point of it now.
Good to see people responding to feedback. (Also, I'm getting this on the Xbox).

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Irridium said:

All it does is punish customers, and Games for Windows Live is just the worst thing you can put into a game.
Any single-player game that requires internet connection to play is stupid. I don't care if there's leader boards or achievements you can just let me choose to use them or not. As for DRM, unless it's creative it should be almost non-existent. If someone wants to pirate the game then they will. The goal of standard DRM should be to lock out idiots and ametuers. Creative DRM such as that gimpy batman thing...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94524-Arkham-Asylum-Pirates-Get-a-Gimpy-Batman

...should be used to deal with the more extreme crackers and make a pirates job of mass distribution harder.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
The rule for acceptable DRM is that it is acceptable if a normal consumer would never be inconvenienced by it under any circumstance. GFWL is a bit annoying, but it sounds like the rather inconspicuous style GFWL of DoW. Still a minus, but not a big one. 15 activations...well it bugs me, but it's hard to imagine it being a real issue. The DRM is still unnecessary, but props for listening to the community. I'm buying it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Still not buying it.

Nice of them to drop one of the two arbitrary install limits.

But that still leaves the game with an install limit and the need to run no less than three other programs and an internet connection and two separate logins for the sake of playing a single damn game.

I have a problem with being made to run three processes for the sake of one that I actually want, if they announced they were ditching GFWL and Securom and just Steaming it that would be nice. I'd settle for just ditching GFWL to be honest, but as it is, no money from me Mr Irrational.

Apr 28, 2008
feather240 said:
Irridium said:

Any single-player game that requires internet connection to play is stupid. I don't care if there's leader boards or achievements you can just let me choose to use them or not. As for DRM, unless it's creative it should be almost non-existent. If someone wants to pirate the game then they will. The goal of standard DRM should be to lock out idiots and ametuers. Creative DRM such as that gimpy batman thing...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94524-Arkham-Asylum-Pirates-Get-a-Gimpy-Batman

...should be used to deal with the more extreme crackers and make a pirates job of mass distribution harder.
Exactly.

Imagine if Bioware did that with Mass Effect 2, where say, if you go the evil path, you lose experience.
Or if you make a certain choice, or romance certain people, or at certain parts in the game the enemies are invincible.

Sorting out all the code in a game like ME2 to try and fix these things would be a nightmare. There could even be code that would make 2 more problems for every 1 problem thats fixed.

Granted I'm not a programmer or coder or anything so I have no idea if thats feasable. Still, something to look into.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
wait so this only allows you to download on a certin ammount of computers? Oh okay. Dont really see a point why people are getting mad. most likely people will only download it to one computer.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Irridium said:
feather240 said:
Irridium said:

Exactly.

Imagine if Bioware did that with Mass Effect 2, where say, if you go the evil path, you lose experience.
Or if you make a certain choice, or romance certain people, or at certain parts in the game the enemies are invincible.

Sorting out all the code in a game like ME2 to try and fix these things would be a nightmare. There could even be code that would make 2 more problems for everyone thats fixed.

Granted I'm not a programmer or coder or anything so I have no idea if thats feasable. Still, something to look into.
News Today: "In a surprising turn of events the internet troll population has subsided to an all time low, also coincidentally there has been a massive increase in programmers."

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
GFWL needs to go away. I don't care about install limits, but GFWL is annoying as hell, and totally unnecessary.