NFL Player Imitates Madden In Real Game

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
NFL Player Imitates Madden In Real Game

For years, videogames have tried to emulate the real action and strategy of sports, but for the first time we are witnessing real life football players learning from playing the videogame versions of themselves.

It was an amazing play. The football was thrown far down field, tipped up, and then snagged by a receiver who ran 40 yards to the end zone. But that wasn't the amazing part. Just as he was about to score, Broncos wide receiver Brandon Stokley cut right and ran along the end zone line, eating up the last precious seconds of the game. It was a move right out of any Madden players book; never give the opponent time for a comeback. The truly crazy part about the play was that Stokley admitted that he took it right from playing the videogame.

"It definitely is," Stokley replied. "I think everybody who's played those games has done that" - run around the field for a while at the end of the game to shave a few precious seconds off the clock. Stokley said he had performed that maneuver in a videogame "probably hundreds of times" before doing it in a real NFL game. "I don't know if subconsciously it made me do it or not," he said.

Stokley is not alone. When asked how many NFL players play Madden, he replied, "Everybody." And it's not only played for fun, some players and coaches have been using the videogame to memorize playbooks or practice recognizing defenses.

"These games nowadays are just so technically sound that they're a learning tool," said Tim Grunhard, who was on the Kansas City Chiefs in the 90s and is now a high school coach. "Back when I was playing football, we didn't realize what a near or a far formation was, we didn't really understand what trips meant, we didn't understand what cover 2, cover 3, and cover zero meant."

I don't know what those are either, but the fact that I could if I played Madden means that gamers have a complex set of real football strategy at their fingertips. NFL players who play Madden have more situational awareness than previous generations because they have such a complex simulation tool available to them. Plus, it's fun.

Regardless of what you think of sports games, we have reached a point in history where life is imitating the videogame and not the other way around.

And that's pretty cool.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/01/ff_gamechanger/]

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Greg Tito said:
ust as he was about to score, Broncos wide receiver Brandon Stokley cut right and ran along the end zone line, eating up the last precious seconds of the game. It was a move right out of any Madden players book; never give the opponent time for a comeback.
It sort of makes you wonder why nobody else has ever tried that before now, doesn't it?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Questionably legal, but awesome in the "NYAH NYAH NYAH" way. Like a Scout running around three Snipers trying to kill him.

Trifixion

Infamous Scribbler
Oct 13, 2009
But did he then hear the voice of Tom Hammond saying that he was finally brought down at the 48 yard line no matter where he actually was on the field?

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Random Bobcat said:
Yes it's a sport and it's different from violence, blah blah blah, but the base point remains.
Whoa whoa whoa....whoa.
Whoa.

That is a huge psychological leap.
A football player getting the idea to run out the clock from a video game is vastly different from a person saying a video game gave the the idea to murder someone. What's the base point? That a game gave someone an idea? I don't recall anyone saying that games don't influence anyone. Of course they do! They influence how we spend our time, they can influence friends and social activities, and they can give people ideas for plays in football and for crappy movies.

The argument isn't whether or not games influence people, but whether or not they influence violence in people.
And the answer to that is: No, not directly.

EnigmaticSevens

Sep 18, 2009
Random Bobcat said:
Ok, so if the game genuinely has influenced this, where does this leave all the "games don't influence people outside their medium" statements?

You can't pick and choose when your arguments do and don't apply, and something like this only rings alarm bells for me.

Yes it's a sport and it's different from violence, blah blah blah, but the base point remains. A game influenced someone. Someone prominent.

This will be a staple in future "The influence of games" pieces can see it now.
Learning a tactic from a form of media and emulating a motive are quite different. Recognizing a useful stratagem and applying it to real life is one thing (i.e. Fight Club teaching us all how to make napalm, nitro glycerin, and dynamite.) Purposefully carrying out the motives displayed in a piece of media (i.e. watching Fight Club and wanting to destroy consumerist America) would require consciously absorbing those influences, and having a inherent defect wherein you can no longer differentiate between the rules, laws, and moral code of a fantasy world, and the constrains of reality.

The entire notion of a violent video game inducing a mentally sound child to acts of violence is a rather trite notion. If that were the case, hordes of adolescents, teens, and manchildren would currently be romping around the world capturing exotic animals in plastic balls and forcing them to do battle in exchange for money. ((although that particular brand of dog fighting would be utterly badass))

Rand-m

Feb 8, 2009
I just finished reading this article in my copy of Wired. Even though I'm a devout Bengals fan, I still find this behavior very interesting. The full article talks more about how real NFL players are using Madden to evaluate opponent's strategies, learn playbooks, etc.

The whole Madden movement is starting to come full circle. Madden used to be imitating the NFL, but it's almost gotten to a point where many styles of play are based around the all-or-nothing play style used by many Madden players. Mind blowing, really.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
FOOTBALL!? INTERESTING??

I'm actually amazed at this; someone arguably found an "exploit" to the rules of football. This is the same sort of thing as say, putting a zergling on an access ramp in starcraft so the enemy can't get by and scout.

I think it might be interesting for game designers to think about "what rules could be added to football to prevent this, while not detracting from the game itself"?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
That was actually pretty clever of him to bring such a thing into the real world. Although in actual football I'm unsure about how often it will be done since the chance of a quarter ending touch down are pretty slim.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
A little disconcerting as well, don't you think?!

Soon we'll all be diving through traffic imitating a frog.

Okay, maybe not.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Pretty soon martial artists will start throwing hadoukens, video games rule!