Dragon Age DLC Return to Ostagar Out Next Week

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Dragon Age DLC Return to Ostagar Out Next Week

After being released on January 13th, then pulled from Xbox Live, the first post-launch DLC for Dragon Age [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Pc/dp/B001IK1BWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970552&sr=1-1] is set to be released next week.

Return to Ostagar has been plagued with problems. First, it was supposed to come out on January 5th, but it didn't. Then it mysteriously popped up on Xbox Live on January 13th, with much hubbub, and then just as inexplicably disappeared. Later, BioWare admitted that the problem was on their end, and that they were working "around the clock" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97610-BioWare-Working-Around-the-Clock-on-Return-to-Ostagar] to get it fixed. Now, BioWare founder Ray Muzyka has said that Return to Ostagar should come in the "next week or so."

"We have a big investment planned for Dragon Age with more DLC coming in the next week or so," Muzyka said in an interview with PCGZine.

Why was the release of the DLC such a problem? "I don't know if it was a communication error with our distribution partners or what happened there," Muzyka said. "If they were released in order it would have been fine, but it created a bug which prevented progression, and obviously that wasn't acceptable, so we pulled it down."

Maybe BioWare should have launched with a "Denerim Network" front end interface to handle all of their downloadable content... Wait.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/27/dragon-age-return-to-ostagar-dlc-returning-next-week]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
lol...I saw what you did there!

Well, at least they recognisd a problem and fixed it...and, it seems they have. So, we really shouldnt knock them.

Lets just enjoy that we might finally be able to do something!

Goenitz

Jul 22, 2008
Warped_Ghost said:
Well I downloaded and played it and didn't notice any problems. I got it on the 13th.
Same, downloaded/cracked version works perfectly.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
It is hardly worth the hype surrounding it. Or the fuss it created. It ensured I will never buy anymore of this small DLC packs for DA:O. Sorry but 5 bucks that just retreads the same area from a different mission and throws the same old cutscenes we all probably have seen a billion times for a new weapon and armor set (which the armor sucks BTW) is a rip off.

I got it for the 360 and it worked fine. The update it came with on the otherhand broke more than it fixed.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
squid5580 said:
It is hardly worth the hype surrounding it. Or the fuss it created. It ensured I will never buy anymore of this small DLC packs for DA:O. Sorry but 5 bucks that just retreads the same area from a different mission and throws the same old cutscenes we all probably have seen a billion times for a new weapon and armor set (which the armor sucks BTW) is a rip off.

I got it for the 360 and it worked fine. The update it came with on the otherhand broke more than it fixed.
Ahh, you learned that DLC was more in the interest of shareholders than gamers.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
It's funny, really.

I find out info about DA:O/ME2 on the Escapist before I do from BioWare. 'tis great.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Xandus117 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
So basically, it's a complete piece of Pitt.

Cookie for the reference.
Fallout 3 DLC?

So! Many! Glitches!
Jesus that was fast...

Yeah, the Pitt was unplayable upon release and had to be withdrawn.

Then they released it again...

...and it was still broken.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
It's a pity they hadn't pulled it because they realised they hadn't actually put any good content in it, Crappy armor and retread enemies does not a valid DLC make.

The only one worth paying for is to get Shale and that's actually cut content from the original game. Damn good job I got it as part of the original purchase.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Nurb said:
squid5580 said:

Ahh, you learned that DLC was more in the interest of shareholders than gamers.
Not any more than any other retail or DLC type game.

Warden's Keep was worth the 5 bucks. You got a new quest in a new area with a couple real bosses. Not to mention the swag and the new skills.

Golem DLC gave you a full voiced character and 2 quests for 1200 points. And added another aspect of the story.

RTO gives you the ending of a subplot. Armor and weapons that verge on being useless. The same area you were at the beginning with snow on the ground. And the same monsters that you have been fighting all along. The difference is a few have new titles (like General Hurlock).

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Xandus117 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Xandus117 said:
MiracleOfSound said:
So basically, it's a complete piece of Pitt.

Cookie for the reference.
Fallout 3 DLC?

So! Many! Glitches!
Jesus that was fast...

Yeah, the Pitt was unplayable upon release and had to be withdrawn.

Then they released it again...

...and it was still broken.
Yeah, yeah, I know. Now where's my cookie?
Now, now, patience!

I got hungry on the way over, sorry

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Nerf Ninja said:
Damn good job I got it as part of the original purchase.
That's not surprising, seen as he came with every single copy of the game.

Does it really count if something is cut from the game and then put back in every game?

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Does it surprise anyone that they pulled down the Zaeed DLC for Mass Effect 2 on release day because it was broken? This after giving all their DLC away (including exclusives and Spec Edition materials) for free at 2 in the morning?

EA and Ubisoft might want to rethink this whole 3rd party storefront interface with XBL...

Lizmichi

Detective Prince
Jul 2, 2009
You know what, I'll believe it's out when I see it on my content screen in DA and even then it could be fucked up. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised then greatly disappointed.