Somali Islamist Group Bans Videogames

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Somali Islamist Group Bans Videogames

An Islamist insurgent group in Somalia has issued a ban on all videogames, saying they are destroying the country's "social traditions."

Let me begin by saying that yes, this is true: An armed Islamic extremist group in Somalia has banned videogames because of the harm they cause to the country's youth. "Starting two days after this statement's date of issue, all video game playing centres in the areas under Hezb al-Islam control should be closed and playing video games will be prohibited," the Hezb al-Islam group said in a statement signed by Sheikh Mohamed Omar, the head of propaganda. "Videogames are designed in such a way that they destroy our social traditions and for that reason, anybody found ignoring this order will be punished and equipment will be confiscated."

An AFP [http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5htFHI3EBpKjdQuXIb_p-6tIJ0hiA] report says videogames are especially popular in Somalia because things like television, films, music and sports have already been banned, leaving the country's citizens, particularly its young, with little to do. Prior to the decree, people would gather in small, makeshift cyber-cafes and arcades, spending 5000 Somali shillings - about 15 cents - for a 30-minute session on a PlayStation.

"We used to watch movies. They were banned. Now the PlayStations we had fun with are also banned," said 19-year-old Abdirahman Hirsi. "This country is not for young people like me."

What sort of punishment awaits those hardcore enough to defy the ban wasn't made clear, but in some parts of the country men are arrested for trimming their beards, while people caught dancing to traditional music are flogged. Potentially worse, however, is that this latest ban could help to drive yet more children into the ranks of the country's various fighting groups. Human rights organizations have accused all sides of recruiting child soldiers since the country fell into civil war almost 20 years ago.

"Who knows what else the children are going to do now," said Abdi Moge, an "older resident" of the village of Lafole. "It's not as if there was proper education for them. The more they are prevented from playing, the more likely they are to join the fighting."

via: GamePolitics [http://gamepolitics.com/2010/01/28/islamist-group-somalia-bans-video-games]

RheynbowDash

Jan 26, 2009
Ugh. This is ridiculous. If your gonna take away the Playstations, at least give them an NES with Super Mario Bros 3 on it. Jesus, this is cruel and unusual punishment.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
While the US has the "War on Terror", these guys seem to have a "War on Fun". You would think that an armed Islamist group would support their youth playing Counterstrike.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Seems abit pointless in a country where very few people have access to electricity and/or TVs. Though from the sound it it seems there are quite a few TVs and electricity. Hmm....

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"Videogames are designed in such a way that they destroy our social traditions and for that reason, anybody found ignoring this order will be punished and equipment will be confiscated."
This is a fantastic idea, and a great way to get awesome new hardware!!!

I'm going to impose this order on my neighbors and their awesome entertainment center.

I'll shout allah akbar all day if it means I get free shit.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Society (-) Education (-) Fun Activities (=) Fighting for "the cause"

Oh dear Somalia, I hope the children can escape.

-JB

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Like this is really going to stop anyone from playing. Limit them slightly, but your never gonna stop it once it gets into your country.

Seriously, ban on movies and games? So what do they do in their free time? Watch the fucking ceiling?

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
An AFP [http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5htFHI3EBpKjdQuXIb_p-6tIJ0hiA] report says videogames are especially popular in Somalia because things like television, films, music and sports have already been banned, leaving the country's citizens, particularly its young, with little to do.
Holy fuck, what do people do in that country? Are they trying to ensure that the only thing people are allowed to do without punishment is kill each other?

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
hmm....I can see why kids would then trun to a life of crime or military. The can make belive that they are playing MW2. With no respawns.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
SUPA FRANKY said:
Like this is really going to stop anyone from playing. Limit them slightly, but your never gonna stop it once it gets into your country.

Seriously, ban on movies and games? So what do they do in their free time? Watch the fucking ceiling?
Hey don't knock it till you've done it.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Kharloth said:
Why does the world allow such ignorant, hate filled morons to live?
Because you have to be pretty ignorant and hate-filled to advocate going over there and murdering everyone in the country.

NamesAreHardToPick

Jan 7, 2010
An Islamist insurgent group in Somalia has issued a ban on all videogames, saying they are destroying the country's "social traditions."
this latest ban could help to drive yet more children into the ranks of the country's various fighting groups
"Social traditions" like child soldiers, religious crusades, fanaticism, etc. That's exactly why they ban everything except enrolling in the militia, people would rather do anything else than fight in some retarded war of extermination against an almost identical group of people across some imaginary line in the middle of a bombed-out wasteland.

I bet they're going to ban wearing pants with pockets next so there's nowhere comfortable to put your hands when you're just standing around doing nothing and trying to avoid killing a bunch of people.

So... Australia must have a shit-kicking army with the crap way they treat gamers over there, am I right?

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
If you live in these areas of Somalia then videogames are probably the least of your worries.

Nothing inspires acts of duchebaggery quite like religion, patriotism and political ideology.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
Islamic extremists? Banning something? No way!

Next you'll tell me that Australia has banned something. And I will be very, very, very surprised. *wink*