Despite Apparent Hint, No 2D Metroid In the Works, Retro Says

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Despite Apparent Hint, No 2D Metroid In the Works, Retro Says

Retro Studio's Game Director, Mark Pacini, quashed rumors of a 2-D Metroid game's development.

Rumors about a purported projected were lifted high on the wings of a missive found in the recently-released Metroid Prime 3, which read, "Experiment status report update. Metroid project 'Dread' is nearing the final stages of completion," and was taken by fans as an indication of a title in the works.

Pacini says that's not the case.

"It's not what you think it means. ... It was something that was overlooked and wasn't in any way indicating anything about the hand-held game," he said to MTV. "We know no information about the hand-held games."

He continued with a somewhat nebulous explanation: "It's a complete and utter coincidence. ... We actually had a fictional element of something else in the game that by a large coincidence could be read that we were giving a hint about 'Metroid Dread,' which was not the case."

Source: Shacknews.com [http://shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49179]

Space Jawa

Feb 2, 2010
I say this only means that there's no 2D Metroid that Retro is working on. There's still a possibility that a different studio is working on such a title.

EDIT: OH, and NOW I see that this is from way back whenever. Should have looked at that more. D'OH!

*Goes to corner to hang head in shame*

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Space Jawa said:
I say this only means that there's no 2D Metroid that Retro is working on. There's still a possibility that a different studio is working on such a title.

EDIT: OH, and NOW I see that this is from way back whenever. Should have looked at that more. D'OH!

*Goes to corner to hang head in shame*
Easy mistake to make, I sometimes get old articles coming up in my "latest content" boxes at the bottom.

Although its good to see the "Metroid Dread" codename again.