X-Play Celebrates 1000th Episode

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
X-Play Celebrates 1000th Episode

I blew the interview with Adam Sessler and Morgan Webb, hosts of X-Play, which celebrates its 1000th episode this coming Monday, February 1. I had plenty of questions prepared - how long an episode takes to make, how the duo has seen the industry change over the nearly seven years since the show's inception, their thoughts on the current state of game journalism - but I never got around to asking them because we were too busy talking about Mega Man, Lara Croft, and whether or not Too Human sucked. I thought I was going to be interviewing Important TV People, but I ended up chatting with gamers instead. I'm pretty ok with that.

Sessler, for example, was just as blown away by Deus Ex ("I just didn't think you could do that") and Ico ("everyone knew it was artsy, but it was fun, too") as you were. "Those were some of those revelatory moments [in gaming]," he says.

When Webb tells you that "Tomb Raider destroyed any authenticity it had," you know she's not talking as some kind of elitist critic, but rather as a fan who's sick of the franchise making promises that it can't keep. You know, just like you.

That genuine gamer passion is a big part of why X-Play has made it to four digits' worth of episodes. When Sessler gushes about how much he enjoyed Uncharted 2, he doesn't pick it apart like it's a specimen to be analyzed, he talks about how it reminds him of seeing Raiders of the Lost Ark with his dad. It's really hard not to feel Webb's pain at getting stuck reviewing Mega Man X for the GameCube, and when they both make fun of people for still being upset that Aeris died...well, it's not the sort of reaction you expect from supposedly objective journalists, but rather from gamers who are tired of hearing people whine.

G4 is planning a six-hour extravaganza to pat Sessler, Webb, and the rest of the X-Play family on the back for their milestone achievement. The shindig begins at 1pm ET/PT, with a "Best of X-Play" marathon, leading into the special one-hour X-Play 1000th special at 6pm ET/PT. Highlights from the special include X-Play's most brutal reviews, Webb's first appearance on Tech TV's The Screen Savers, and Sessler's first appearance on Extended Play. (Fun facts: Russ Pitts, our intrepid EIC, was once the producer of The Screen Savers, and Sessler's stint on Extended Play is what inspired me to start writing about videogames in the first place.)

Tune in to G4 on Monday, February 1 to check out the festivities. And congratulations to Adam, Morgan, and everyone who makes X-Play happen!

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
X-Play ended 300 episodes ago. A very tragic death, it was far better than seeing the show continue in some half-hearted shell of its former self.

Please, leave me alone in my happy world, not knowing one of the better pieces of nerd TV has shrivelled up and sucked for quite some time now. G4 had been trying to kill it for a long time, but they succeeded like two years ago.

Addendum:
I'll explain why; Constant re-runs of E3 coverage, Blair Herter, the "info-tainment" format change, 2 minute reviews, and who can forget Blair Herter.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
Sunami88, I feel I should buy you a drink so we might lament over days gone by.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
sunami88 said:
X-Play ended 300 episodes ago. A very tragic death, it was far better than seeing the show continue in some half-hearted shell of its former self.

Please, leave me alone in my happy world, not knowing one of the better pieces of nerd TV has shrivelled up and sucked for quite some time now. G4 had been trying to kill it for a long time, but they succeeded like two years ago.

Addendum:
I'll explain why; Constant re-runs of E3 coverage, Blair Herter, the "info-tainment" format change, 2 minute reviews, and who can forget Blair Herter.
This. Their reviews are incredibly annoying now, especially since they tell you whether or not they liked the game before the review even starts, and the format of the show just makes things horrible. Their interviews of people marketing their games is also quite unnecessary. I think they need to go back to sitting on a couch...

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I started a thread months and months ago about G4. Still taking that "avoid it like a panther with a flamethrower" advice to heart.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Adam Sessler is one of the few gaming personalities out there that I can actually give a crap about. His zeal is probably the reason why Xplay is still viewed as being actually a good show, though they shifted away from "funny joke review show" to a more "serious buizness news/reviews" outlet. The humor didn't leave, it just grew more subtle and restrained, and I can actually watch it now without my folks bellowing at me to turn it off.

For that, I am grateful.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
The image doesn't work properly. Is anyone else having this problem?

Also, they're pretty cool guys, I guess. I had no idea that they'd made that many episodes though.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
X play stopped being good around 500.

I haven't cared about them since G4 went straight to hell when they let Cops and Cheaters take over their schedule.

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
Pirce said:
Sunami88, I feel I should buy you a drink so we might lament over days gone by.
I feel the exact same way. Remember when they actually reviewed games? Those were the days...

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
G4 IS NOT EVEN FOR GAMERS!

What happen to actual gamer shows? Arena, machima electric playground? Nooo, we only got X-play which have been slowly dying for the last four years. Hell, I'll take it around the back of the barn and put a bullet in it eyes.

Attack of the show dosen't even count as a show for gamers...it's a show about...nothing.

It's like G4 was attack by heartless and their hearts became Nobodies.

It's actually depressing.

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Wait...They made new episodes> Honestly, I didn't know. I thought they were canned because they kept doing reviews of games from like ten years ago. And doing re-runs over and over again...

Anyway, I stopped watching them like two years ago, but I hope them the best (and hope they actually get funnier)

IHateDaManSkirt

Nov 21, 2009
Aby_Z said:
sunami88 said:

Addendum:
This. Their reviews are incredibly annoying now, especially since they tell you whether or not they liked the game before the review even starts, and the format of the show just makes things horrible. Their interviews of people marketing their games is also quite unnecessary. I think they need to go back to sitting on a couch...
A couch is a great medium.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
I've seen their show... and as much as they may be gamers... they do tend to be pretty arrogant. For one thing, in nearly all of their ads/plugs... one of them (usually Webb) describes their show as "the center of the gaming universe"... right... I'm sure all other gamers bask in their glory and all developers and publishers adhere to THEIR wishes before anyone else's. And... I'm sorry... but if they're going to claim to be "brutally honest reviewers"... well... even when they do tear up a game, they're usually pretty gentle about it... as though they were afraid of hurting the developers' feelings. But then again... no one can really compare to Yahtzee when it comes to brutal reviews.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Jarsteen said:
I remember a time when X-Play hadn't sold out(entirely). Ah, the good Years...

Was G4 bought by some corporate oligopoly or something? It sure seems that way.
G4 is the oligopoly (GREAT word by the way, I'm stealing that). They bought up and swallowed TechTV.

TheDoctor455 said:
Hell, I remember when they used to preview the new ZP episodes the day before they came out haha.

Aby_Z said:
Oh God yes. I'd forgotten slightly about the good 'ol couch days...

[hr]
I should take this opportunity to say too, I think the Sess and Ms Webb have alot of gaming cred. I just think the show is a terrible shadow of it's former self.

Oh, and so far I have two free drinks coming my way... To Mana!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
TheDoctor455 said:
I've seen their show... and as much as they may be gamers... they do tend to be pretty arrogant. For one thing, in nearly all of their ads/plugs... one of them (usually Webb) describes their show as "the center of the gaming universe"... right... I'm sure all other gamers bask in their glory and all developers and publishers adhere to THEIR wishes before anyone else's. And... I'm sorry... but if they're going to claim to be "brutally honest reviewers"... well... even when they do tear up a game, they're usually pretty gentle about it... as though they were afraid of hurting the developers' feelings. But then again... no one can really compare to Yahtzee when it comes to brutal reviews.
Don't confuse the people with the packaging. Adam and Morgan are actually both quite lovely in person.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Unless they bring back Johnny Extreme, Ratty, and proper reviews along with [small](actually)[/small] humourous skits, and get rid of all the unnecessary [small](and unwanted)[/small] bits [small](pretty much everything apart from reviews at this point)[/small] I could care less about their 1000th Episode.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Screw G4, they destroyed TechTv and it's attempts to elevate gaming and tech above the standard kiddy-fare. Instead its a shallow MTV styled rip-off.

3... out of 5