Merging My Hobbies: Halo 3's Theater

Adam LaMosca

Aug 7, 2006
Merging My Hobbies: Halo 3's Theater

I'm sure Bungie envisioned player galleries filled not with carefully framed works of in-game art, but with documentation of especially impressive, humiliating or humorous kills. Still, I'm willing to bet they also wanted to let players discover and appreciate what they might otherwise miss. It's all too easy or overlook a game's creative and artistic details, especially in a frenetic action setting where the primary goal is to kill or be killed.

Adam LaMosca takes a look at Halo 3's Theater feature.

Chinster

Sep 5, 2007
Wonderfully enthusiastic article, you sound like a kid who's just discovered a box filled with all the toys he always wanted :)

I've only dabbled but here are 3 I did recently!

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
I loved the article. Albeit I'm not much of a Halo fan, I'd always appreciated the spectacle of Halo 2, such as the walking tank in the early stages of the campaign, or even the simple visceral brilliance of the Needler gun.

You should check out the photo modes in other games. Gran Turismo 4 has a 'showroom' feature letting you set up some high-resolution shots of the vehicles (they can even be printed out directly from the PS2 via certain Epson printers).
Overall, my two favorite photography-based games that I'll always recommend:
1) Beyond Good & Evil.
2) Fatal Frame.

If machinima is fast-becoming a fine art, maybe virtual photography won't be that far off....