Battlefield Heroes Gets Twilight-Inspired Update

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Battlefield Heroes Gets Twilight-Inspired Update

It's hard not to feel that there's a little bit of Twilight [http://www.amazon.com/Twilight-Saga-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/0316038377/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280173985&sr=1-1] inspiring the latest Battlefield Heroes update that pits vampires against werewolves.

[gametrailers=61404]

The last time Stephanie Meyer's obscenely popular Twilight franchise crossed over with a popular shooter, it was obviously a parody hoax [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97406-Are-You-Ready-for-Call-of-Twilight-Modern-Warfare-2], not the real deal. Obviously, Soap MacTavish and Captain Price weren't going to be joining forces with Edward Cullen and Jacob Black anytime soon.

EA DICE, on the other hand, is actually serious about this - well, as serious as the cartoonish Battlefield Heroes gets, anyway. The latest content update to the lighthearted free-to-play shooter adds vampire and werewolf skins [http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/store/hot-deals] that players can purchase, depending on whether they're Team Jacob or Team Edward. The supernatural beasties each get their own emotes (Thirst vs. Howl) and a special ability that's hopefully not a gamebreaker.

The update also adds some nighttime maps, though it remains to be seen if the monsters can only be played in the dark, or if they can go out in the light, as well - otherwise, how else would we ever know if the Battlefield vampires sparkle in the sun?

Okay, okay, it's clear that these aren't exactly the Twilight vampires and werewolves (there's far too little sparkling and shirt-removing, respectively), but can you really blame people for making the connection? For better or for worse, Twilight has done more to popularize "Vampires vs. Werewolves" than anything else in decades - so it seems odd to argue that there wasn't any inspiration there.

I mean, the guy almost has Edward Cullen's hairdo. I can't be the only one who sees it, right?

(Via MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/02/01/twilight-inspires-battlefield-heroes/])

Alkestes

Dec 9, 2009
They certainly can go out into the light, but alas they do not sparkle. If they did, that would give me even more reason to hate those stinking Nationals. As for the ability...I was completely unaware of it. I've killed enough of the guys in Vampire costumes and I haven't noticed them being anymore difficult, so I guess it can't be that bad.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Bad Funk, bad! We should be doing our solemn duty of ignoring that which shall not be even alluded to lest it fill us with nerd rage, not continually linking it to things that it ruined utterly!

The only way to fight it is to pretend it doesn't exist at all. Also this content could very well be inspired by Underworld, what with it featuring a war between vampires and werewolves, or maybe somebody on the design team was a big World of Darkness fan, we don't know! Point is that speaking the name of the abomination just gives it more credibility, which is the opposite of what any sane person wants.

laryri

May 19, 2008
I don't get it. Why are they doing this now? Isn't this something normally reserved for Halloween?

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
Twilight has done more to popularize "Vampires vs. Werewolves" than anything else in decades - so it seems odd to argue that there wasn't any inspiration there.
Buh????

You mean apart from World of Darkness, Underworld, Hammer Horror, Discworld, Van Helsing, Ginger Snaps, Anita Blake, Blade, Being Human, Anne Rice, Bitten, The She-Wolf of London, Crimson Moon, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Nightbreed, Marvel, DC, Bloodlines, Kindred: The Embraced or even a certain overlooked show called Buffy or Angel?

Twilight doesn't even deserved being mentioned in the same lack of breath.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Which race is the one with the guy in the movie who can actually act?
I guess you're talking about Taylor Lautner?
As far as I remember, he was a werewolf.
This movie will fuck his career up.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
Bad Funk!
How dare you name the sparkly and naked monstrosity (not sure if I spelt that right)
Thou shall go to sparkly hell for that!

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Underworld still exists, and last I checked, it was Vampires vs Werewolves as well.

Just sayin'.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
I had forgotten that that awful waste of celluloid invented vampires and werewolves. Never heard of Battlefield Heroes though.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
John Funk said:
For better or for worse, Twilight has done more to popularize "Vampires vs. Werewolves" than anything else in decades
Uhh... Underworld... Van Hellsing... Buffy/Angel... Marvel... DC... God knows how many animes, movies and tv series...

Twilight hasn't popularized anything but retarded scripts.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Caliostro said:
John Funk said:
For better or for worse, Twilight has done more to popularize "Vampires vs. Werewolves" than anything else in decades
Uhh... Underworld... Van Hellsing...Buffy/Angel... God knows how many animes, movies and tv series...

The_root_of_all_evil said:
John Funk said:
Twilight has done more to popularize "Vampires vs. Werewolves" than anything else in decades - so it seems odd to argue that there wasn't any inspiration there.
Buh????

You mean apart from World of Darkness, Underworld, Hammer Horror, Discworld, Van Helsing, Ginger Snaps, Anita Blake, Blade, Being Human, Anne Rice, Bitten, The She-Wolf of London, Crimson Moon, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Nightbreed, Marvel, DC, Bloodlines, Kindred: The Embraced or even a certain overlooked show called Buffy or Angel?

All of which make it popular in genre film culture and nerddom. But can you honestly say that Van Helsing or Underworld have anywhere close to the popularity of Twilight? Meyer's brought it to the forefront of pop culture consciousness in a way that none of those have simply by sheer numbers.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
laryri said:
I don't get it. Why are they doing this now? Isn't this something normally reserved for Halloween?
Thats what I would think...this is just...god /sigh

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Vampires vs werewolves has been around for years. Didn't Van Hellsing come out before it?
Stephanie Miller just popularized it.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Wha...why...
Why would you bother to mention Twilight?
Like the other people posted above, there have been much more influential werewolf vs vampire themes...
No offense but why would you even think to write an article with the words "Twilight-Inspired Update" when the skins clearly have nothing to do with Twilight and saying people are choosing Team Edward vs Team Jacob...really??
These are stereotypical monster movie depictions of them.

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
John Funk said:
Caliostro said:
John Funk said:
Uhh... Underworld... Van Hellsing...Buffy/Angel... God knows how many animes, movies and tv series...

John Funk said:
Buh????

All of which make it popular in genre film culture and nerddom. But can you honestly say that Van Helsing or Underworld have anywhere close to the popularity of Twilight? Meyer's brought it to the forefront of pop culture consciousness in a way that none of those have simply by sheer numbers.
Most of those numbers are pre-adolescent girls though.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
John Funk said:
I'm gonna argue there isn't a person on earth with access to TV, books, movies and/or internet (i.e: that has had contact with popular culture before twilight) that has never heard of the Vampires vs. Werewolves "feud". That would be like saying Michael Bay popularized robots...

Just because they probably had a bigger audience than any of their predecessors by themselves I think it's a bit naive to claim they reached an audience NONE of all it's predecessors combined ever did.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Outlaw Torn said:
John Funk said:
Caliostro said:
John Funk said:

John Funk said:
Buh????

Most of those numbers are pre-adolescent girls though.
Unfortunately, I think you'd be very unpleasantly surprised.

Feb 13, 2008
John Funk said:
I am honestly stunned.

The Garou vs. Kindred battle has been going on for 10 years, Meyer's trashy effort doesn't even mention any base of contention other than going after the same girl.

Even if you are Twilight obsessed, you refer to it as Team Edward vs Team Jacob, who HAPPEN to be a effeminate emo sparkler and a mock-gay furball. There's almost no mention of Vampire/Werewolf rivalry, and to link it to Battlefield seems to be like saying that the current climate change furor is due to Avatar.

Sorry, I see NO evidence linking the two.