Capcom Limiting Western Devs to "Established" Brands

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Capcom Limiting Western Devs to "Established" Brands

Following the dismal sales failure of last year's Bionic Commando [http://www.bioniccommando.com/], Capcom says it will handle the development of new games primarily in Japan, while Western studios will only work on existing, well-established properties.

Developed by Swedish studio Grin, which Capcom [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93842-Grin-Goes-Under] to take a second look at how it makes use of Western developers and how much responsibility they'll be given in the future.

"We are considering ways to separate the roles of activities in Japan and overseas," the company said during a Q&A session with analysts. "We plan to develop new titles primarily in Japan."

Western studios like Grin, meanwhile, will be relegated to working on existing properties "with well-established characters and universal themes," it continued. "Overseas companies will also handle certain parts and/or lineups of such games."

Capcom sounded like it would prefer to avoid dealing with Western developers altogether, if it could. Unfortunately, at this point they appear to be a necessary evil. "We cannot develop a sufficient number of titles without using the resources of these companies," it said. "This is why we plan to continue using these alliances."

Of course, as Bionic Commando Rearmed [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27029/Capcom_To_Work_With_Western_Devs_Only_On_Existing_Brands.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29], the 2008 remake of the NES classic. Maybe there's a simple truth being overlooked here: Good games, and bad, can come from anywhere.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
wait so Western deveoplers should stop making new ips and only sequels?

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
YAY just what we need more sequels of sequels :D. But more seriously that is pretty annoying. I only find that bearable when they mix it up quite alot (like how final fantasy always uses different settings etc) or when they take a good game and actually improve it which I guess isn't going to be happening too much here. (Or maybe im just too pessimistic).

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Funny thing is that Capcom might actually have better quarterly results after this move.
Sucks for come of the people under their command though.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
ITT: People complaining about more sequels while gladly gobbling up the latest and greatest follow ups.

Hypocrisy, thy name is gamers.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Amnestic said:
ITT: People complaining about more sequels while gladly gobbling up the latest and greatest follow ups.

Hypocrisy, thy name is gamers.
Fu for having me ninja'd.

I'm waiting.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA......HAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... oh right how well did the last 2 MMX games do? How about command mission?....oh capcom....pplluuuueessshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhzzzzzzzzzzzzz .............................

Solylent commando was half right... well...maybe 1/3rd right....... I think the story and lack of proper save points was the main problems with it....

hansari

May 31, 2009
There are new IP's coming out of Japan?

I honestly don't know...here we are drooling over FF13 and I can't think of a new popular IP besides Phoenix Wright...

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Not surprised. Western studios do a bad job at action games in general. They don't understand the requirements control puts on presentation, nor can they do good art direction to save their lives. Or if they can, it's impossible to tell because they invariably sacrifice both in the quest to please the retarded 14-year olds who insist on everything being "serious" and "epic" and piss easy.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
Yes because as well all know Capcom can do no wrong. It's not like they have never taken a well established series and wrecked it with one game..... I'm looking at you Breath of Fire: Dragon Quater.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Its one thing to say you can do a better job than other developers, but its a whole nother story to prove it.

Personally Capcom's games are lacking for me and they try to sell "Horse Armor" dlc out the wazoo. Just kind of hard to feel bad for them. I mean i like EA more than Capcom now-a-days.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
Well Bionic Commando was crap, so that's why it tanked. I brought it back after two days and used the "My brother bought me this for my birthday but I already have it...my I trade it in for something GOOD?"

Perhaps they should try releasing good games? And they might not do so badly then?

Andy Chalk said:
earned respectable reviews but tanked at the register
An example of why you can't trust reviews, it was NOT a respectable game.