Facebook Civilization Beta Not Coming Till June

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Facebook Civilization Beta Not Coming Till June

A Facebook version of Civilization was announced back in October, but word has come from Sid Meier & Co. that the beta won't be available until June.

Firaxis announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/95622-Civilization-Coming-to-Facebook] last year that they were developing a application for Facebook called Sid Meier's Civilization Network which would allow you "to create the world's most powerful, richest, smartest, or just plain coolest civilization." The release said that Firaxis was planning on bringing the beta to the social networking site "soon." That was in October and it's now February. Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word "soon" that I wasn't previously aware of.

Take-Two Interactive, who publishes the Civilization games since they bought the rights from Infrogrames back in 2004, said that the beta for Sid Meier's Civilization Networkis delayed, possibly until June.

I suppose that this could be construed as good news. The combination of two of the world's most effective time-wasting applications has been pushed back, allowing some work to be done for the next few months.

Alright, back to work. Those mines aren't going to sweep themselves [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minesweeper_(computer_game)]!

Source: The Cut Scene [http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2010/02/facebook-wont-be-civilized-for-a-little-while-yet.html]

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I know why it's delayed.

They made a facebook-replica to see how it would work, and now all of the developers are busy playing while updating their statuses and chatting with all the other developers!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I already have number 4. but if this is good ill have a reason to go on facebook during places of not home. :S

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Been waiting for this since I heard about it last year, this is going to be the game that gets me hooked on Facebook.

I can wait a few months till that happens...

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
I never got into the Facebook games, like Mafia Wars and FarmVille. For some reason, they just don't appeal to me.

daz_O_O

Click me I'm here!
Aug 27, 2008
First time hearing this, as an avid Farmville/Mafia Wars critic (hater) I'm actually looking forward to this! Might get on the beta if it's looking good.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hiphophippo said:
Oh man, really? A facebook game that might be worth a shit?
Thats a scary thought...where are the days when it used to just a social platform...

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
This may be the only game I think is worth playing on FB. We've waited this long, I'm willing to wait a little bit longer if it means Civ Network won't be an abomination like so many other FB apps.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
This game is the very reason I actually decided to get up and make myself a Facebook account, so any news on the beta is good news, as far as I'm concerned.

Mazty said:
I hate the idea of facebook gaming...but taking Civ back to basics could actually be great...May just convert me yet.
I loathe the games on Facebook, and the damned influx of invitations I get to help with some stupid crops or to help out in someone's bloody restaurant or whatever puts me at wits end. To tell the truth, I'm actually getting a little bit worried that they'll be dumbing Civ down too much for the masses of braindead crop-growers on Facebook. As the next installment in the Civilisation franchise, it had better not be some kind of pretty screensaver while chatting to friends.

While I myself am not against the general surge of casual games that seem to make up an increasingly large chunk of the market these days, as harsh as it sounds, I damn well expect there to be a difficulty curve, and a lot of room for tactics.

kazakun853

Jan 26, 2010
WOOHOO Now I'll never get anything done this is great I was worried that I was being over-productive lately

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Damn...Well I never could get into the Civ games. The games drag on far too long.