BioShock 2 Launch Trailer Is First-Person Awesome

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BioShock 2 Launch Trailer Is First-Person Awesome

If you aren't psyched for next week's BioShock 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Bioshock-2-Xbox-360/dp/B0016BVYA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970338&sr=1-1], this 3-minute launch trailer may just get you to schlep on down to GameStop for the midnight release.

BioShock 2 is out next week on February 9th, and it seems like 2K Games is pulling no punches in getting word out to the masses. Last night, 2K bought out the entire first advertising block on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon to show off the three-minute-fifteen-seconds launch trailer you see above. While that's no $3 million Super Bowl spot [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97964-Watch-the-Dantes-Inferno-Super-Bowl-Spot-Now], it probably cost a pretty penny - and hey, one could argue that it's more effective at selling the game to viewers, because it looks freakin' awesome.

With the exception of the first part of the trailer, it's mostly from a first-person perspective, and shows an idealized representation of the title's gameplay - that is, it's not what the actual game looks like in motion, but the principles are the same. Maybe some might see it as underhanded, but I think it just looks really, really cool. It's an excellently put-together trailer that may just get you excited to return to Rapture.

Oh, and in case you really, really can't wait a second longer than you have to, GameStop and Best Buy will be holding midnight launch parties the night of the 9th. So you'll be able to be first in line to pick up your $100 BioShock 2 Special Edition. No word on if they'll have any of those super-limited Uber Editions [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97966-2K-Unveils-15-000-BioShock-2-Uber-Edition], though.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/03/bioshock-2-gets-midnight-release-new-launch-trailer/])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I saw it.

I'm psyched for the game. But the special edition still sucks. Art books and soundtracks, WHEE...

The uber edition is another story.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
That trailer looks frickin' awesome. Normally I avoid buying into hype any more, but combined with everything I'm seeing about Bioshock 2 and how good Bioshock 1 was, It's hard not to be excited, especially with the release date creeping tantalizingly close.

TheNamlessGuy said:
Bloody hell, you're right!
That is awesome!

Just two things though:
Who is the brute guy
Why can the Big Sister control water?
I forget what they're called, but I remember them being mentioned before. They're basically super-strong splicers, sorta like the Tank from L4D but not really a boss 'creature', I think. They're an appreciable threat, though, thanks to how strong and tough they are.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Thank you for shattering all doubts I had about this game. Also, way to make me even more excited for this game.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
My jaw is on the ground.

Due to ME2 last week, BS2 sort of fell off my radar of excitement, but I'm now really looking forward to it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really cannot wait for this! I know its going to be awesome and evertything new I keep hearing just reinforces this!!!

Come on Bioshock 2 =D

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I am Kollega, and i'm here to ask you a question.

Just how long will we keep ramping up the cost of producing and distributing games? I bet that i, in my current situation, could live for a year on the money they spent on that one trailer. It seems that i won't have a chance to be game designer after all - just how will i be able to sustain myself and my hypothetical team if no-one will even buy -nay, hear about- small games we make? No way, that's how.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Oh my God, aquakinesis. Goosebumps times a thousand. Geez, that big sister looks freaky. Can't wait to make her eat her needle.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
He seems to be a very slow and ponderious character, powerfull no doubt, but is that all the faster you move?

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
I was psyched as hell for the game.

Then, they announced the DRM. SecuROM AND Games for Windows Live, limited activations, both on the retail and the Steam versions. Damned shame, I probably would have really liked the game too.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
...I...
...can't...
...WAIT!!!

This looks so awesome, I love the atmosphere it looks like it will give and if it is even half as good as the first then it will live up to my hype and more

I was actually really worried that it would be boringly easy because of playing an overpowered Big Daddy but oh ma Gawd February 9th should be a good day :D

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Bloody hell, you're right!
That is awesome!

Just two things though:
Who is the brute guy
Why can the Big Sister control water?
i think the big sister is like a big daddy that can use plasmids... just a guess though.