Those Funny Dice

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I can't be the only one who's ever rolled a Barbarian for no other reason than to get the most use out of my D12.

Good times.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I love Dice they are so fun to play with in RP's until they starts being all 1's then they become small projectiles

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
One interesting thing I find about D12 that could probably be noted in this column (and will be henceforth noted in the comments) is that the D12, due to its shape, is the dice most likely to roll off on some weird path, right off the table.

The D20 is more spherical, but the D12 is the die that is always trying to escape.

Anyone else able to confirm that? because it's proven true time and time again with me.

DoctorNick

Oct 31, 2007
Dice are one of my favorite things about RPGs, how can anyone NOT love them?

They're also a great ice-breaker for trying to explain the hobby to someone, as soon as you break out those funny little polyhedral lumps of plastic then it doesn't matter how nerdy they thought you were before and they're now instantly paying attention utterly fascinated.

TheScarecrow

Jul 27, 2009
Mmm, I do love tabletop RPG dice. Nothing like rolling a few dice and hoping the Dice Gods will bestow victory upon you.

I'd like to have a necklace with a die on it. Or one with loads of dice.

Stumblebee

Jan 23, 2010
The very notion that ancient Romans had d20s is brain-meltingly insane to me. "Ave, Meridius! Roll to see if I'm getting drunk."

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
Singular: Die; "Roll one die."
Plural: Dice; "Roll two dice."

On can no more roll one dice as they can eat one bananas.

Altorin said:
One interesting thing I find about D12 that could probably be noted in this column (and will be henceforth noted in the comments) is that the D12, due to its shape, is the dice most likely to roll off on some weird path, right off the table.

The D20 is more spherical, but the D12 is the die that is always trying to escape.

Anyone else able to confirm that? because it's proven true time and time again with me.
My experience confirms that.

James Maliszewski

Aug 19, 2009
Anacortian said:

The New Fowler's Modern Usage (Oxford University Press, 1996) would disagree with you: "The small cubes with faces bearing 1-6 spots used in games of chance are the dice (pl.); and one of them is also called a dice."

In point of fact, "dice" is one of those words in English that has multiple accepted singulars/plurals. There's no "right" answer, only personal preference.

Retodon8

Jun 25, 2008
I'll have to side with the "die"-for-singular people, even if "dice" is considered OK by some in modern usage. It just sounds wrong. Of course we all got used to using "agenda" and "data" as singular too, so it'll probably be a matter of time before the entire world does it the wrong/modern way.

While on the topic, I'm pretty sure those two things are called hexAhedron and octAhedron; As, not Os.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
[HEADING=1]Behold: The D2 [http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/74410396.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=AA1747D0965B1B3D8D6D110154A28A215115FC97CF24C979B6A1346C767B3995E30A760B0D811297].[/HEADING]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
I love Dice they are so fun to play with in RP's until they starts being all 1's then they become small projectiles
Thats been my luck as of late...god, Critical Fail for the los ><

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Scrythe said:
[HEADING=1]Behold: The D2 [http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/74410396.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=AA1747D0965B1B3D8D6D110154A28A215115FC97CF24C979B6A1346C767B3995E30A760B0D811297].[/HEADING]
Your link isn't working for me but I'm sure it looks something like this:

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
I still have my dice, although I haven't played any Pen and Paper Rpgs in over a decade. I also must note my dice always give me crappy rolls, which doesn't help get me back into gaming.

skyfire_freckles

Jan 30, 2008
Retodon8 said:
I'll have to side with the "die"-for-singular people, even if "dice" is considered OK by some in modern usage. It just sounds wrong. Of course we all got used to using "agenda" and "data" as singular too, so it'll probably be a matter of time before the entire world does it the wrong/modern way.

While on the topic, I'm pretty sure those two things are called hexAhedron and octAhedron; As, not Os.
This drives me fucking crazy. Especially when I say "die" or "datum" and people look at me like I'm speaking in tongues, or when I type "these data" and people are like, "lol word-use fail."

The people I used to roleplay with all said "die", though. So it sounds to me like someone is saying "a bananas" when someone says "a dice".

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
James Maliszewski said:
Anacortian said:

The New Fowler's Modern Usage (Oxford University Press, 1996) would disagree with you: "The small cubes with faces bearing 1-6 spots used in games of chance are the dice (pl.); and one of them is also called a dice."

In point of fact, "dice" is one of those words in English that has multiple accepted singulars/plurals. There's no "right" answer, only personal preference.
I did not note the Canadian citizenship. While Oxford is the conventionally definitive body in determining True English (as spoken in England), Webster is the accepted standard for American English and disagrees both in dictionary.com and my hardcover from 2001. Siting a "modern use" guide is about as far as one can get from an official source. So far as I can tell, "dice" is only plural throughout the history of the word. Relying on "modern use" guides would also lead one to omit the comma before "and) in a list, accept "ain't" as anything but first-person singular, and allow 7331 speak and emoticons in formal writing. I maintain a firm prejudice against "modern use" guides.