Survey: 80% of US Teens Own a Console

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Survey: 80% of US Teens Own a Console

If you're American and between the ages of 12 and 17, there's an 80% chance you own - or have home access to - a videogame console, according to a recent survey.

Sure, we've known that millions and millions of Americans play games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93602-170-Million-Americans-Play-Games-Study-Finds] with at least some regularity for quite some time now, but the widespread extent to which gaming has become so mainstream is still kind of staggering, when you think about it.

A new Pew Research Center survey finds that 80 percent of American youth between the ages of 12 and 17 own a videogame console, or otherwise have access to one in their home. Unsurprisingly, boys are more likely to have a console than girls, with a whopping 89% of male respondents saying they had one o' them newfangled videogame things, but girls weren't far behind with a 70% rate of their own.

More than half of that 80% also owns a handheld device, according to Pew's numbers. The DS and PSP were predominantly popular with younger gamers - 66% of children aged 12 and 13 have a handheld, compared to 44% of those between 14 to 17. When broken down along gender lines, handheld ownership was 56% boys, 47% girls.

So the odds are, if you're a parent and you don't game, you probably don't understand your teenagers. Not that parents needed more evidence to know that, anyway.

(Edge [http://kotaku.com/5463760/poll-80-percent-of-teens-have-game-console])

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
This is why I still can't fathom why a lot of users on here talk about how they are geeks/nerds for gaming. Or how they get abuse for being a gamer.

Pretty much every single guy I know has or once had a game console, be it a Nintendo 64, GameBoy, PS1/Ps2/Ps3 or an Xbox/360.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Haha, we'll rule the world! Soon it's time to raise our flag and... um... Build Midgar! *evil laughter*

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
It's true. Gaming is no longer something the minority do.

Fuck you, Wii. Fuck you.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does that kid look like a young Ewan MacGregor?

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
This isn't news, but I'm sure the majority of them just like to play online FPSs.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
CuddlyCombine said:

Fuck you, Wii. Fuck you.
...what? This makes no sense.

Gaming not being a minority activity = good

Wii helping to enable this = good

Wii = bad...???

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
CuddlyCombine said:

Fuck you, Wii. Fuck you.

EDIT: Is it just me, or does that kid look like a young Ewan MacGregor?
Just you. Looks nothing like Ewan MacGregor to me.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
Considering "cell phone" is now a gaming platform this doesn't surprise me.
This exactly.

Now I'd like to know the age group of people who are on 360... may explain some things XD

I kid, I kid ;)

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
Meh, as long as we dont become marketable... wait.
Well, at least we aren't still being made fun of... no, wait.
Um, At least people aren't crazy enough to believe that gaming causes murder... oh.

i don't really see how this is news, because nothing has changed that much. sure, gaming is becoming more mainstream, but is that a good thing? personally, i think its both good and bad, as people who wear, oh, i dont know, T-shirts with the Mario mushrooms can now be conidered cool, and not total dweebs. On the other hand, they only know about mario from playing a bastardized version with quick-time events amd easy-mode gameplay, which i guess isnt that bad so much as it doesn't pour into games that aren't for casual gamers. why companies havent realized this before is beyond me.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
This is actually great news.

See, now, whenever someone claims that a kid committed a crime, we just compare that kid to the millions of other kids who haven't committed a crime.

And now, video games have a stronger defense!

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
John Funk said:
CuddlyCombine said:

Fuck you, Wii. Fuck you.
...what? This makes no sense.

Gaming not being a minority activity = good

Wii helping to enable this = good

Wii = bad...???
Of course! Don't you know anything about science!?

[sub]That was a funny reference, in case someone didn't get that. I'm not arguing with the mighty Funk.. please spare me[/sub]

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Not sure if I buy this statistic without more information simply because the number of consoles sold would be much higher than it currently is if this was true. Unless of course Cell Phones *ARE* being considered in which case the estimate seems a bit low to be honest.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
s69-5 said:
Machines said:
This is why I still can't fathom why a lot of users on here talk about how they are geeks/nerds for gaming. Or how they get abuse for being a gamer.

Pretty much every single guy I know has or once had a game console, be it a Nintendo 64, GameBoy, PS1/Ps2/Ps3 or an Xbox/360.
That's because most of us had consoles like the NES or the c64 (not specifically a console, but it counts) before the masses started to get them.
This.

Even friends of mine with kids can't understand why still game.

Well, it's cos I don't have whiny, snot-covered mini-mes wandering around behind me begging for another toy and an ice cream sammich. Nor do I WANT them. -_-
*cuddles her Intellivison and Atari systems from days gone by*

But yeah, my generation (sadly, Gen X...) had the majority of kids NOT playing games, so it'd be those adults who would still call gamers nerds/geeks.
People younger than myself (early 30s) wouldn't necessarily give gamers a hard time because they either have a bunch of friends who game, or are gamers themselves.

Least that's my take on it all.