How to Win at Games of Chance

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
How to Win at Games of Chance

I walked into the freak show tent fully expecting to get robbed. The pictures on the marquee looked compelling, and the suggestions of the man over the PA sounded incredible. He told me I'd be surprised, amazed and even frightened. My imagination ran away with me, and by the time the line wound around to the entrance, I was all too willing to hand over my money to be let inside, to see the chupacabra, the two-headed cow, the live sheep with four horns and the Mongolian Death Worm.

Read Full Article

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Russ,

I loved it and I agree. You spend the cash for the experience. The only one I actually 90% of the time win at is the water hose game. The one where you squirt water into a tube and it fills up? Amazingly enough, I always win on the second time playing. Isn't that odd? :)

I saw a real life freak show once. If you get that time, hit one of those up. I got to meet them also after the show. Probably the nicest people you'll ever meet. Maybe that's because I didn't treat them as if they were freaks.

FavouredEnemy

Oct 16, 2007
I disliked this article. Basically, it celebrated pissing away money by giving it to con-artists. Great if you have money. Bit of a shitty story for the people who can't afford rent, let alone food.

The line 'I don't remember how much I'd spent there, but in giving me a story to tell, it was worth twice what I paid to play it.' in particular reminded me that yes, you probably did get paid for that article.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
FavouredEnemy said:
Bit of a shitty story for the people who can't afford rent, let alone food.
If you can't afford the basic necessities, how exactly can you afford to be a gamer?

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
FavouredEnemy said:
I disliked this article. Basically, it celebrated pissing away money by giving it to con-artists. Great if you have money. Bit of a shitty story for the people who can't afford rent, let alone food.
That's an interesting point, and it's fair to be annoyed to hear me tell of spending whoknowshowmuch money on carnival games when you can't even buy fresh food. I've been there. I know how that is.

Although, I suppose one has to assume that, in speaking of diversions that cost money, one is speaking from a position slightly higher on the Maslow pyramid than yourself, if you can't afford such niceties. I certainly don't expect you to grok the joy to be had in spending money on things you can't afford (although, to be fair, I think I spent only slightly more at the carnival than the price of a couple of new games), but I also think you have to allow for a little disparity in terms of what you expect to encounter on a website primarily about entertainment and escapist pursuits.