Would Shakespeare Have Been a Good Game Designer?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Would Shakespeare Have Been a Good Game Designer?

The Executive Producer of Dante's Inferno [http://www.amazon.com/Dantes-Inferno-Divine-Playstation-3/dp/B001NX6GBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279312350&sr=1-1] thinks that if the Bard were alive today, he would have been at the forefront of game design.

Shakespeare may have been one of the most influential people to have ever lived - and certainly one of the most influential penmen of all time - but there's really not a lot of Shakespeare in modern gaming, is there? We have bards, but we don't have the Bard. We don't have epic boss fights pitting Othello against Iago, and we don't have games based on Hamlet [http://www.amazon.com/Hamlet-New-Folger-Library-Shakespeare/dp/074347712X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280156452&sr=1-1], either.

But not only does Visceral's Jonathan Knight - Executive Producer of Dante's Inferno - Wall Street Journal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98009-Forget-Dantes-Inferno-2-Visceral-Wants-Macbeth], Knight mused on how the Bard would have done as the Developer.

[blockquote]Shakespeare would have been on the forefront. He was an innovator and not just a great story-teller. Arguably, he's more of a medium innovator. He borrowed heavily. "Hamlet" is a complete rip-off of a story on the prince of Denmark. Some people think he lifted it from a work that actually came between the two stories.

He was such a master at harnessing the new. For him, the new medium was open air theater on the south side of the Thames. He solidified a big portion of the English language with his plays much like Dante did with Italian vernacular.[/blockquote]

Not only might Shakespeare have had some decent input on the field of game design, says Knight, but Dante Alighieri (whose Inferno provided the very loose impetus for Visceral's action game) might have fit right in too. In fact, the original decision to make a game based on Dante's Inferno came from seeing similarities between the poem and modern videogames: Dante's maps were like level design, and he even had "boss fights," too:

"He often has a guardian and that to me feels like a boss. It could be a giant or epic character who prevents you from making progress and you have to defeat this giant monster. There's King Minos at the end of Limbo, for example. In that sense, he's sort of laying out various challenges."

The full interview with Jonathan Knight is actually really interesting to anyone who's been intrigued by Dante's Inferno - or just wondered "wait, a poem about the Inferno? What?" - so give it a go [http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/02/08/dantes-inferno-do-classic-poems-make-great-videogames/].

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
If the Bard were alive today he'd be writing award winning novels, plays, and possibly newspaper articles. He probably would cameo as himself in a movie or two and voice himself in cartoons and video games. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be designing games.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Hmm... if Shakespeare were a modern developer... at least we might be able to get away from the "five dollar writers" that the industry keeps using.

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
I disagree, if Shakespeare was alive I reckon he'd be in the television or film industry, hes very good at creating a scene and his plays are quite cinematic at times, more suited for the big screen

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
Hmm... if Shakespeare were a modern developer... at least we might be able to get away from the "five dollar writers" that the industry keeps using.
And we would also get some pretty heavy storylines too, as well with great dialogue I bet

Leodiensian

Jun 7, 2008
Paddin said:
I disagree, if Shakespeare was alive I reckon he'd be in the television or film industry, hes very good at creating a scene and his plays are quite cinematic at times, more suited for the big screen
Also wrong.

Someone with the Bard's insight into the dark side of human nature, with his masterful grasp grasp of wordplay and of lyrical metre?

My friends, if Shakespeare alive today he would be at the top of the rap charts.

Flamingpenguin

Nov 10, 2009
I dunno...Shakespeare could retell a story well, but could he make a new one from scratch so easily? (Or disguise one so well that it wouldn't be recognized?) I don't buy that. He was an awesome guy, but his craft was literature, not games.

Paddin

Sep 30, 2009
Leodiensian said:
Paddin said:
Also wrong.

Someone with the Bard's insight into the dark side of human nature, with his masterful grasp grasp of wordplay and of lyrical metre?

My friends, if Shakespeare alive today he would be at the top of the rap charts.
Touché.

I have to agree entirely with this man

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Ummmmm... What? What the hell could Shakespeare offer to gaming? I'm sorry, I just can't picture it.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
How does being a famous story teller equal a good game designer? Telling a story and designing a game are two completely different things.
Now, if you said he'd write good game stories... I don't know. Interactive stories and non-interactive ones work differently. We can't tell.

thenamelessloser

Jan 15, 2010
Yes, Shakespeare, or Francis Bacon, would have been a great video game designer, because not only was he a famous playwright but an early scientist as well. The combination of the love of language, combined with his love of studying the empirical world I think would make him be brilliant at designing video games.

(JOKE POST)

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
No way.

If Shakespeare was a video game designer, we'd be looking at a pissing contest between Hideo Kajima's Metal Gear Solid: 20 BILLION, and Hamlet 5: Lydia's Revenge.

Both of which contain only a single Quick-Time-Event to signify "gameplay", and the rest long-winded supposition.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I don't think he'd be a game designer. Writer, definately, but either for books or for television/movies.

Mr.Gompers

Dec 27, 2009
If Shakespeare was alive today, I'd hunt him down for giving us shitty plays to read in school.

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
I can think of some English teachers who would tear their hair out in rage if they read this article.

But yeah, if anything he'd probably make a good scriptwriter for movies or TV.