Square Enix Tradmarks Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Square Enix Tradmarks Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Eidos parent Deus Ex 3 [http://www.square-enix.com/na/] - or perhaps an all-new game in the franchise.

The new Deus Ex, currently in development at revealed [http://www.eidosmontreal.com/] to the public back in November 2007 and not much has been said about it since. Aside from the trailer that accompanied that announcement, which was cool but hardly informative, there's been nothing but the occasional interview and a handful of concept art and alleged screenshots. Not much to show for more than two years of waiting, which is why something as simple as a trademark registration tends to attract more than its fair share of attention.

Thus it is that we're here to tell you that Square Enix has trademarked the name Deus Ex: Human Revolution [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0K5NC/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1279749425&sr=1-1] (as well as a sans colon version) in Europe and North America. The assumption, naturally, is that Human Revolution is the proper title for the upcoming game - it certainly ties in nicely with the debut trailer - but there's always a chance that it could be an all-new game in development. Deus Ex for the Wii, maybe.

Deus Ex 3 is currently in development for the PC. Other platforms remain unconfirmed and no official release date has been set, but the "next round of info for the public" is slated for release in spring of this year.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/08/have-you-heard-of-deus-ex-human-revolution/]

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Oooh.

I remain cautiously optimistic about a new Deus Ex property, given the direction Invisible War moved in (blargh, hates oversimplification of a game that did not need it, hates it I say!).

Here's hoping they go back to what works and give us a damn good FPS/RPG, and take the time to optimize it properly (Invisible War didn't look all that great and yet ran like a grotesquely obese man).

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gildan Bladeborn said:
I remain cautiously optimistic about a new Deus Ex property, given the direction Invisible War moved in (blargh, hates oversimplification of a game that did not need it, hates it I say!)
Early quotes from the leads at Eidos Montreal indicated that they were well aware of Invisible War's many shortcomings and were doing what they could to address them. So I'm hopeful. Invisible War wasn't outright "bad" in its own right, it just suffered horribly when set next to Deus Ex - which, as a sequel, was inevitable.

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
DISCLAIMER: The first Deus Ex remains at the top of my list of greatest games of all time. I am a biased fanboy and any word that is typed in this post is affected directly by that bias.

Now that we got the disclaimer out of the way, I am also cautiously optimistic about DE3. DE2 wasn't shit, per se, but it was a disappointment for me (see disclaimer). I believe a prequel is a good move for the series. There's so far you can go with the direction the other two games went in and I can't think of a good way to follow DE2 without just taking the story in an endless loop.
A prequel would give us the details surrounding the parts we know from the original game. I think the name doesn't just tie in with the 3 year old trailer, but also the setting. Given that the state of the world in DE was the result of riots and terrorist attacks which resulted in the founding of UNATCO, a human revolution against mech-augmentations, nano-augmentations and gene manipulation sounds about right.

EDIT:
Quoted from Wikipedia, I always found this bit of trivia amazing:
During sections of the game where the New York skyline is visible in the background, the two towers of the World Trade Center are noticeably missing; the real towers were destroyed a year after the game was released. Harvey Smith has explained that due to texture memory limitations, the portion of the skyline with the twin towers exists in the game's data files but had to be left out of the final game, with the other half mirrored in place of it. According to Smith, during the game's development, the developers justified the lack of the towers by stating that terrorists had destroyed the World Trade Center earlier in the game's storyline.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wouldn't mind a new game in the francise. Loved the original at the time!

May 28, 2009
SUPA FRANKY said:
Never heard of this series...*checks wikipedia*
You sadden me sir.

OT: I am not sure what to think of DE3. I'm hoping it isn't shooter-centric though - they mentioned improving that rather a lot.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Deus Ex is high on my list of best games every made. The closest modern equivalent is STALKER SoC, but SoC didn't have the mountains of dialog and tons of locations that DE did.

The main problem with Invisible War was the XBOX. The limitations meant no more sprawling free roaming levels like DE 1.

Deus Ex, System Shock 2, and STALKER are my holy trinity and I would happily play endless clones of those until my dying day.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Gildan Bladeborn said:
I remain cautiously optimistic about a new Deus Ex property, given the direction Invisible War moved in (blargh, hates oversimplification of a game that did not need it, hates it I say!)
Early quotes from the leads at Eidos Montreal indicated that they were well aware of Invisible War's many shortcomings and were doing what they could to address them. So I'm hopeful. Invisible War wasn't outright "bad" in its own right, it just suffered horribly when set next to Deus Ex - which, as a sequel, was inevitable.
Personally I blame the multiplatform release for most of the major bad design bugbears - Deus Ex 2 took a lot of it's design cues from the console port of the original Deus Ex. I have no problem with console games releasing with oversimplified 'wheels' and the like for their UI, since they are designing the UI for use with controllers with real functional limits to what they can incorporate without making interface screens unwieldy. But there is no bloody way you can justify that crap on the PC, especially when we can fire up the original and behold the wonderful, informative, and generally characterful interface it had.

Things like universal ammo, ridiculously small explorable areas, reduced customization/upgrading of weapons, dramatically reduced inventory space/management, no more alternate ammo types, no more RPG style character skills to train, less slots for personal modifications and less permanency to the decisions... all of that is annoying sure, and almost certainly present because somebody involved in the design process seriously underestimated console players' intelligence levels, but it's that bloody awful and quite frankly phenomenally retarded UI that does the most to make me say "What the bloody hell did they do to my Deus Ex?!"

And we received that slap in the face because it was a multiplatform release - apparently nobody thought PC gamers would mind being saddled with a UI that was obviously not designed for their platform whatsoever (ha!).

Developers: PC gamers have mice, and we really hate wading through clunky menus obviously designed for console controllers, because it tells us you couldn't be arsed to do more than just haphazardly port the console version over to the PC. We're resigned to getting ports of various blockbuster titles, but is it really too much to ask that you not release straight ports of console titles still chock full of crap that only makes sense if you're playing the game on a console?

The interface in Deus Ex was part of your character - if they fix all my other complaints about Invisible War but keep its UI, they might as well not bother as I will be just as mad at them. So hopefully they have realized that and won't try to spin some new terrible interface as "an elegant eye-based HUD!!" this time around. Hearing that it's undergoing development for the PC and possibly other platforms is a reassuring sign at least - game quality is typically much improved when things get scaled back for a console release, rather than developed with consoles' design limitations in mind and ported as is to a platform without those limitations.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Developers: PC gamers have mice, and we really hate wading through clunky menus obviously designed for console controllers, because it tells us you couldn't be arsed to do more than just haphazardly port the console version over to the PC. We're resigned to getting ports of various blockbuster titles, but is it really too much to ask that you not release straight ports of console titles still chock full of crap that only makes sense if you're playing the game on a console?

The interface in Deus Ex was part of your character - if they fix all my other complaints about Invisible War but keep its UI, they might as well not bother as I will be just as mad at them. So hopefully they have realized that and won't try to spin some new terrible interface as "an elegant eye-based HUD!!" this time around. Hearing that it's undergoing development for the PC and possibly other platforms is a reassuring sign at least - game quality is typically much improved when things get scaled back for a console release, rather than developed with consoles' design limitations in mind and ported as is to a platform without those limitations.
Pretty much what I was going to say.
Seriously though, when was the last time we heard of a major title really being made for the PC? It blows my mind, not that I'm complaining. It'd be a nice return to the early 21st century when the console owners got the clunky ported version. :p

oranger

May 27, 2008
actually, from what i've heard, deus ex 3 is gonna be crap...mech augs could be done well, but one of the devs was talking about modelling them after current era prosthesis, and including "special moves" that go with each prosthesis...WTF, does that sound like an fps/rpg, or a shooter/fighter?