Military and Microsoft Butt Heads Over Training

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Military and Microsoft Butt Heads Over Training

As the emphasis on technology-based training increases, the U.S. Military finds itself at odds with Microsoft.

The expense and complication of live tests make gaming a perfect alternative to teaching crucial skills. Most military-based software is for the PC, but each military PC, in addition to having different specs, can cost over $1,000. Though not well known for its thriftiness, the military has been looking into alternatives, including gaming consoles. Consoles can be acquired far more cheaply than decent gaming PCs, and most recruits enter service already at least somewhat familiar with them. A room full of 360s sounds like it would be an ideal solution, but there's just one catch: Microsoft is unwilling to meet the military's requests for hardware.

Roger Smith, chief technology officer of PEO STRI, the division responsible for the purchase of training equipment, said Microsoft has refused to sell him the consoles. The concerns seemed to be twofold: First, that a military purchase of a large amount of consoles would have a low attach rate - these 360s would be for training, not gaming - and would therefore lead to a financial loss for Microsoft. The other issue was Microsoft's apparent concern that association with the military might somehow tarnish its reputation.

In a statement to Wired by PR agency Edelman, it was stated the military was welcome to try other venues, such as working with developers as they have in the past to develop training games for the Xbox and purchasing them at retail price. The statement made no mention to whether or not Microsoft would be willing to sell large quantities of Xbox 360s to the military.

The response seems to have cooled the military's enthusiasm for bringing their training to the console platform. Smith said there are no current R&D plans, but also stated the military would be happy to reopen negotiations with Microsoft.

Source: Wired [http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/02/why-the-army-doesnt-train-on-xboxes/]

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
well, if their international console would be linked with the American army which, lets face it, is something most of us snobby Europeans would frown upon and at the same time lose money on each sale, saying no seems logical.

edit: and it seems like something some crazy anti gaming group could use as ammunition "army uses xboxs to murder people, ban all games now!"

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Patriotism would get them a bad rep? Ya, I can see that.

But in all reality, I can understand the hesitation. I still find it weird that they're just flat out not gonna do it, though. Guess it's to the retail shelves for the army, haha.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
I think Microsoft knows it's console will red ring after a year or so and pissing off their country's own military is just not worth the negative publicity.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Haha! What reputation microsoft is trying to protect? What a joke.

Militaries already use videogames to help in training (from what i saw/heard it improves the aility to think outside the box) so why they are scared to make money even if the console is sold at some loss, a console needs games attached afaik to be used.

And its not like they arent bathing in money already.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
uppitycracker said:
That's not the problem. Most (and I say that in the most tentative sense of the word) gamers are left-wing, young, and open-minded. The people who voted in Obama; the people who would like an end to the war. I think Microsoft is afraid that association with the tyranny that is the American military would tarnish their reputation.

I still don't see the logic, though. I doubt most gamers even involve their higher thought processes when they're making decisions regarding which console to buy, let alone boycott a company because it supports the Army.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I can understand why Microsoft may not want to do this.
It could make it very unpopular in certain countries... I'm sure that won't stop any military from just sending people to stores to buy 360s...

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Cue Monty Python esque sketch where the military try to purchase 360's under the name of Us Bilitary

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Echolocating said:
I think Microsoft knows it's console will red ring after a year or so and pissing off their country's own military is just not worth the negative publicity.
Pissing them off like say, outright refusing to sell them the consoles they desire might piss them off?

Meh. In the end, it all comes down the same thing Microsoft's always been about: more money. That's not technically a bad thing from a business standpoint, but from a reputation standpoint, their greed's not winning them any points with anyone.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Wow, this is quite a bonehead move for Microsoft. "Low attach rate"....the fuck? Yeah, it'll get you a loss, but it will also get you in good with the fucking US Military. How dumb are they that they don't understand that to make money you have to spend money?

oldaccount2000

Nov 8, 2009
To be fair to them, supplying 360s to the army will cost a hell of a lot of money. The military are swimming in it, so what's wrong with buying from the shops?

sogortheogre

Apr 20, 2009
johnman said:
Cue Monty Python esque sketch where the military try to purchase 360's under the name of Us Bilitary
Thanks, you made me smile before my chemistry lab.

OT: Since they lose money on the actual console sale, and the military isn't going to be buying a new game for all of its consoles every couple of months, it would result in a net loss for microsoft. Is this worth getting in good with the military? Maybe... but I'm not sure.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
uppitycracker said:
It's hardly patriotism.

OT: I wouldn't sell them either; they lose money, and it gives other people silly concerns about gamers being trained to be killers.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
If you train soldiers with console games they are gonna wonder why their real life rifles aren't autoaiming to make up for the lack of precision that the controllers have.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Good move MS, I agree with your course of action for the most part. However I still think you could have offerd the military an R&D partnership, devloping a version of the console that would be cost effective and allow for military specific modifications/use.
Gee that would have probably be a good idea.