Study Concludes That Videogames Don't Cause Headaches

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Study Concludes That Videogames Don't Cause Headaches

A new study in Germany has found no link between the use of videogames and the occurrence of headaches or migraines in teenagers.

It's fairly conventional wisdom that staring at a video screen all day long will eventually give you a headache. Thanks to science, however, we now know that's a bunch of crap. Or, to put it more academically, there appears to be no causal link between the frequency of videogame playing and the incidence of headaches.

"Excessive use of electronic media is often reported to be associated with long-lasting adverse effects on health like obesity or lack of regular exercise, or unspecific symptoms like tiredness, stress, concentration difficulties and sleep disturbances," said Astrid Milde-Busch of the Ludwig-Maximilians University [http://www.en.uni-muenchen.de/index.html] in Munich, Germay. "Studies into the occurrence of headaches have had mixed results and for some types of media, in particular computer games, are completely lacking".

The study involved 1025 teenagers, age 13 to 17, 489 of whom claimed to suffer from headaches while the rest did not. When compared, "no associations were found for television viewing, electronic gaming, mobile phone usage or computer usage." In other words, how much or how little time they spent playing videogames has no correlation to how many, or few, headaches they got.

Amusingly, one form of media consumption was "significantly associated" with headache sufferers: Listening to music. However, as Milde-Busch pointed out, the results aren't actually proof that pounding music causes a pounding head. "It cannot be concluded whether the habit of listening to music is the cause of frequent headaches, or the consequence in the sense of a self-therapy by relaxation," she said.

So while there's still a chance that videogames will make you fat, lazy, stupid, violent and sociopathic, at least they won't give you a headache. Be sure to tell your parents!

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/178557.php]

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
Well that's a relief! Now we just need to get people to really study the whole sociopathic thing. At least my head wont hurt too much to read it.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
I'm sorry but comparing interview results barely qualifies as a study, and only an idiot would conclude there is absolutely no link based on word of mouth.

If this sort fo study had said something BAD about games, everyone would be up in arms about "bad science" etc etc, but because it doesn't, the SAME bad science is perfectly acceptable.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Whew I can rest my mind on that topic! I thought because I never got a migraine and I play games meant I was some kinda superguy. Seriously I just got a cape and was on my way to the roof, thanks for stopping me!

OT: I never got why they waste grant money on something most gamers could have simply told these people. Do you get a migraine when playing any kind of game "No" sorted.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
EXCUSE ME, but what the frack are you thinking? xD I've gotten plenty of headaches from videogames. Externally, you might not get headaches from videogames. But seriously, I've had plenty of reasons to get a headache like frequent bugs, cheating, difficult bosses, impossible levels, shitty games and all that. They make my head burst out of proportions because of the stress they give me. And yet I still play them <3

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
I have a history of Migraines and headaches. It's nice to know my main way to pass the time most likely doesn't cause them.

Of course, randomly picking people doesn't count mean that the rest of the world is the same.
Still would be nice though

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Snotnarok said:
Whew I can rest my mind on that topic! I thought because I never got a migraine and I play games meant I was some kinda superguy. Seriously I just got a cape and was on my way to the roof, thanks for stopping me!

OT: I never got why they waste grant money on something most gamers could have simply told these people. Do you get a migraine when playing any kind of game "No" sorted.
I do actually. At least on the all-day sessions.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
I agree, if you game frequently for short periods of time you won't get a headache.
If you game for 12 straight hours, you probably will.
Even if it's just for not having drunk or eaten in all that time, you will.
I know it, I've done it. It does happen.
I never have headaches, ever, except for when i've gamed for too long or not drunk enough on a hot day.
This study is crap.

Outamyhead

Feb 25, 2009
Strange, I have no inclination to kill anyone, or even aggressive about anything...but I clearly remember shadow warrior and dark forces giving me a splitting headache every time.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Next thing they will be saying is that games do not cause motion sickness as well. Guess what....CERTAIN ONES DO! ( Half life 2 based games, COD2 )

and guess what the first symptom of motion sickness is....HEADACHE!

Beeple

Apr 16, 2009
DarkSaber said:
I'm sorry but comparing interview results barely qualifies as a study, and only an idiot would conclude there is absolutely no link based on word of mouth.

If this sort fo study had said something BAD about games, everyone would be up in arms about "bad science" etc etc, but because it doesn't, the SAME bad science is perfectly acceptable.
Eh it's only a correlational study, nothing's been confirmed or denied really. It'll require a more controlled form for that.

The difference between this and studies that say bad things about games are that they generally use flawed controlled experiments (As in the recent Supernanny one) and state things as proof.

The real problem here would be the article title is misleading as nothing can be "concluded" from a correlational study.
(Re-reading that it sounds a bit personal. I don't mean any offense to you Andy please don't take it that way.)

Self report is also an accepted method for studies like this though. It's flawed but still valid.

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
Well thats got too be good news. Now we know that something isn't the fault of video games. Thank you Germany.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
Targie said:
DarkSaber said:

Eh it's only a correlational study, nothing's been confirmed or denied really. It'll require a more controlled form for that.

The difference between this and studies that say bad things about games are that they generally use flawed controlled experiments (As in the recent Supernanny one) and state things as proof.

The real problem here would be the article title is misleading as nothing can be "concluded" from a correlational study.
(Re-reading that it sounds a bit personal. I don't mean any offense to you Andy please don't take it that way.)

Self report is also an accepted method for studies like this though. It's flawed but still valid.
Self report has also been behind many "Games are bad/addictive/evil" studies that the gaming community has been quick to hoot derision at though.

Beeple

Apr 16, 2009
DarkSaber said:
Targie said:
DarkSaber said:

Self report has also been behind many "Games are bad/addictive/evil" studies that the gaming community has been quick to hoot derision at though.
Fair point. The gaming community on the whole is very bias on what they'll accept as valid. Which is wrong, we do have to look at both sides otherwise we're just giving them ammunition. So I'll agree with you.

I still can't remember reading many studies on games making people violent with the word correlation. That's personally my main criticism on those studies.

Julianking93 said:
I didn't know that there was any association between games and headaches.
Your avatar is definitely strong evidence for a correlation between anime and headaches though heh heh.