THQ Franchises to Hit SyFy Network

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
THQ Franchises to Hit SyFy Network

A bunch of THQ videogame properties are planned for transition into the world of television.

THQ and SyFy announced a partnership this week to bring established THQ videogame franchises to television and the internet. First up will be THQ's de Blob [http://www.amazon.com/DeBlob-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B00149IL9I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279572167&sr=1-1], an indie game developed by a group of students for the PC that was eventually released on the Nintendo Wii. A sequel is expected sometime within the next year.

de Blob, which tells the story about a blob that must bring color back into the world, will kick off SyFy's new SyFy Kids banner as the network intends to expand its audience into the age ranges of 2 to 17-year-olds. SyFy Kids plans to deliver (sy)ience-(fy)ction, fantasy, mystery, paranormal and action/adventure content via webisodes, television, and other media.

The deal also feeds into THQ's "transmedia" strategy, through which the company wants its videogame franchises to inspire movies, television, and toys. The deal is similar to that made for Darksiders [http://www.amazon.com/Viva-Pi%C3%B1ata-Platinum-Family-Xbox-360/dp/B000HCL5QO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279572214&sr=1-1] translated into a television show aimed at an older market too.

(Via: GoNintendo [http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=114094])

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
de blob would be a entertaining kid show, and i did enjoy both mario and sonics shows when i was a kid, so congratulation to todays youth.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Oh! DAWN OF WAR! DAWN OF WAR!
Spam That on GW's site, Tbh im going to wait and see how the flim works before i go all how that should work

If im right they did Destroy All Humans right?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
coldalarm said:
Kenjitsuka said:
I'd watch a Saints Row TV series, as long as it wasn't censored to sh*t...
It'd be funny.
They could do what SciFi (I refuse to call it by it's new name) used to do which is just crudely cover it up. And, let's be honest, it would be just as funny to see censor marks and bleeps every 3 seconds.

I can also see a good Red Faction SciFi action-drama series similar to Battlestar Galactica.

LordZ

Jan 16, 2010
I was going to make a snide remark relating this announcement to the trash that is SyFy original movies and lament how retarded the switch to "SyFy" was but, you know, I don't even care anymore.

Feb 13, 2008
Hrmmm....wasn't THQ responsible for the WWE franchise? And given Syphly brought in ECW, there could be a conflict of interest.

Heaven forbid they actually show some SCIENCE FICTION.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Hrmmm....wasn't THQ responsible for the WWE franchise? And given Syphly brought in ECW, there could be a conflict of interest.

Heaven forbid they actually show some SCIENCE FICTION.
Heaven forbid they should take a preexisting science fiction entity and not pour feces all over it. The only time they got it right was with Battlestar Galactica. Every other gem that got shown on Scifi was an original work.
But if THQ wants to take a chance, let em. It won't kill their game sales.
And good luck to getting THQ to admitting responsibility for WWE. Better chances at asking them who forgot to flush.

Feb 13, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
Heaven forbid they should take a preexisting science fiction entity and not pour feces all over it.
Let's take a quick look at today
(Googling "Syfy Channel Tonight" doesn't actually work : Nice...)

09:00 AM
TWILIGHT ZONE, THE : Nice

10:00 AM
CROW 3: SALVATION :Oh...
12:00 PM
CROW, THE : Good, but often repeated.
02:00 PM
EQUILIBRIUM : 36% RT
04:30 PM
ULTRAVIOLET : Haahaahhahahaha
06:30 PM
TOTAL RECALL : See above
09:00 PM
TRANSMORPHERS: THE FALL OF MAN : Straight to video
11:00 PM
TERMINATORS, THE : Oh dear
01:00 AM
I AM OMEGA : Not I am Legend 2. No no no.
03:00 AM
LAWNMOWER MAN, THE : Well, at least it wasn't the second one.

Seriously, if I was the controller, I'd be embarrassed.