Church of England Forgives Sony

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Church of England Forgives Sony

Church leaders at Resistance: Fall of Man [http://www.manchestercathedralonline.co.uk/].

The BAFTA [http://www.cofe.anglican.org/]Video Game Award; the Church requested BAFTA withdraw the game's nomination, which it declined to do.

Following the announcement that the game had not won an award, however, the Very Reverend Rogers Govender, Dean of Manchester Cathedral, said, "I think some important lessons have been learned. So we do forgive Sony for what they have done, even though they still believe they have done nothing wrong."

"In an industry that is breaking new frontiers, it is important that long-held traditions of film and television are maintained. These traditions include having courtesy, respecting the dignity of your subject, and admitting when mistakes have been made," he continued. "In so many ways Sony have failed to live up to these standards by disrespecting people of faith and the victims of gun crime here in Manchester."

He also admitted that since the disagreement with Sony [http://www.sony.com]over the game, the Cathedral has seen an increase in traffic from young people and tourists.

Zera

Sep 12, 2007
For once I am with Sony, they didnt do anything wrong. But if it will finally end this so be it.

Axelgear

Oct 18, 2007
Yeah, Sony really didn't do anything wrong. Fights have taken place in and around Churches for centuries. In World War II, more than one was bombed or set ablaze. St. Maire-Eglaise was shot, burned, bombed, and used for executions. I fail to see how having a gun-fight in a Church in a game is an offense by itself, let alone when compared with things like that.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I'm surprised nobody's made a crack about the whole Halo-3-in-churches thing yet. "Can't put church in a game but you can put a game in church" kind of thing.

Oh well.

boiled_elephant

Oct 25, 2007
Axelgear said:
[...]more than one was bombed or set ablaze.
"More than one" is most definitely an understatement :)

I think it would be misguided to see this as the Church backing down on the grounds of the award being passed. It seems more likely to me that they just decided nobody cared, least of all their followers, that it wasn't important, and moved on to...y'know...REAL issues.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
Nice to see that the Catholic church is practicing what they preach in forgiveness. I'm sure it has nothing to do with all the press they got and people going to the church just for that reason.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Spinwhiz said:
Nice to see that the Catholic church is practicing what they preach in forgiveness. I'm sure it has nothing to do with all the press they got and people going to the church just for that reason.
The Church of England is actually Episcopalian, which is kind of Diet Catholic. All the pomp, but with 100% less Pope!

Redfeather

Sep 18, 2007
The Right Rev. Holier than Thou said:
"I think some important lessons have been learned. So we do forgive Sony for what they have done, even though they still believe they have done nothing wrong."
What was that important lesson?

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
Don't use 'replicas' of churches in violent games or people get angry. Something like that, I think.
Although I've always been an advocate of having any kind of setting in a game; there is no need to restrict where a game can be set, or what tones it has, unless it is actually promoting something bad (if it was showing people shooting up church people as a past-time and they weren't infected by an alien virus-thing, then that would be bad, but if it's about survival against people infected by an alien virus-thing, of course they will be fighting wherever they are, including church and against infected church persons).

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I think the real lesson here is that the alien God is obviously a lot tougher than our God.

slapme7times

Oct 21, 2007
Sony obviously had Insomniac make the game with the full intention that it would crush the Souls of everyone in Manchester....

I wish we could let our childish religions go. Jesus himself was executed for Blasphemy against the predominant religious authority in his homeland.