FF13 Boss Doesn't Mind Talking About FF7 Remake

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
FF13 Boss Doesn't Mind Talking About FF7 Remake

You'd think that by this point, Final Fantasy VII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964269&sr=1-1] remake, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

When he's not talking about the upcoming Final Fantasy XIII [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98352-FF13-Bosses-Responds-to-Western-Review-Scores], producer Yoshinori Kitase - longtime JRPG veteran who directed beloved titles like Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger - has frequently shared his opinions about the oft-asked-for current-gen remake of Final Fantasy VII. But is Kitase as tired of being asked about the hypothetical FF7 remake as most of us are of reading about him being asked about it?

Guess not: "I don't get tired of people asking that question, so I will continue to answer my thoughts at that time as long as people keep asking," Kitase earlier this month [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/history-of-final-fantasy/61856] about the difficulties involved in a remake of the legendary JRPG, where he'd claimed that it was "very hard to make games on PlayStation 3 in the same style as the games in that era had. Making graphics will take enormous time."

"For Final Fantasy VII of course it was released for the [Playstation 1]," said Kitase. "The animation was a lot more simple and there was no voice acting involved at all ... So as the hardware develops there's so much more that can be done for the game. Visual capabilities are up. The quality is so high right now. So in a sense I'm really interested to see this more complete form of a Final Fantasy VII portrayed more realistically with the voice and animation and all the subtle expressions there."

"I would be interested to see that and to make that would be a great experience."

Essentially, Kitase's answer isn't much different from his earlier remarks - it was simpler to make games back in 1997, it's much harder to do them now - but there's a much more optimistic spin on the idea now. So yes, FF7 fanboys, here's some more false hope for a remake of one of the most crazily-hyped games of all time that you can cling to until the remake is actually announced. Or until the heat death of the universe. Whichever comes first.

(Via Videogamer [http://www.videogamer.com/news/kitase_really_interested_in_ffvii_remake.html])

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I want a definite answer. IS THERE GOING TO BE A FFVII REMAKE (in the near future) OR NOT!? I'm sick of these guys constantly changing their minds like a bipolar five year old choosing what kind of ice cream he wants.

There will eventually be a FFVII remake, obviously, but I just want to know if it will be out in the next few years.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
FinalHeart95 said:
I want a definite answer. IS THERE GOING TO BE A FFVII REMAKE (in the near future) OR NOT!? I'm sick of these guys constantly changing their minds like a bipolar five year old choosing what kind of ice cream he wants.

There will eventually be a FFVII remake, obviously, but I just want to know if it will be out in the next few years.
It's going to be on the PS9.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
I gotta say, I'm pretty sure the fanboys have stopped caring by now

*looks at above post*
... yeah i still stand by what i said

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
FinalHeart95 said:

Well, considering Sony will have been absorbed by the mammoth that will be Chick-fil-A by then, it probably won't be called a PS9.
Blanks said:

*looks at above post*
I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, because it's not even my favorite game in the series. These guys are just really pissing me off. I mean, how many times have they changed their mind in the past month?

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
I don't get the sudden hate for FFVII... it was an amazing game. We're all entitled to our opinions as to which one is best, and I can understand people who prefer other incredible entries in the franchise, like VI or X. But VII was a great game, and seeing a remake of it would be amazing.

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
FinalHeart95 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
FinalHeart95 said:

Well, considering Sony will have been absorbed by the mammoth that will be Chick-fil-A by then, it probably won't be called a PS9.
Blanks said:

*looks at above post*
I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, because it's not even my favorite game in the series. These guys are just really pissing me off. I mean, how many times have they changed their mind in the past month?

Yes it is quite annouying and because of it i've stopped caring, part of the blame goes to those who keep posting these articles ... frankly it's unnecessary, though in hindsight all the pointless FF13 articles like 'it's on 3 discs' and 'no dlc' are kind pointless and annouying aswell

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
"FF13 Boss Doesn't Mind Talking About FF7 Remake"

Because talking about it is cheaper than making it.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'd rather a remake of 5.
I'm sure they already have the DSi remake underway.
TO THE INTERNET!

Nothing concrete. A bunch of people asking if its real, though. No confirmation. Therefore, not happening yet.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I believe that the last episode of ENN put it best [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-network/1434-Natal-Scandal]. Just skip to 1:19.

Honestly, I haven't played 7 yet, but considering that it's basically got people all but lighting themselves on fire in protest over the fact that a remake hasn't been made yet, I suppose that it must have been pretty fly.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
I like the picture they used.

Yes, the inclusion of a black guy with an afro in a Final Fantasy cast is a bit of a paradigm shift towards diversity, isn't it?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
At this rate people are gonna remake it themselves, they've already started graphics mods and music mods for PC.

Keslen

I don't care about titles.
Jan 23, 2010
Of course there's going to be a Final Fantasy 7 remake in the near future. If, as they say, the increased rendering required for the environments is the primary (only?) hurdle, then it's only a matter for someone, somewhere being smart enough to say something like this:

"Maybe we don't need to render everything we make in uber hd hyper realism? Maybe we can scale it back to before the time when we had to exponentially increase expense in order to trivially increase realism?"

Don't get me wrong, a remake in the blocky style of the original wouldn't sit well with me, but as long as I can tell that Cloud is a person (rather than a big sword with a large lump on its handle) and that it was a sword coming out of Aeris's torso after Sephiroth descended upon her (instead of something much less family friendly), that's as good as I need my graphics to be.

Axle_Bullitt_19

May 29, 2009
FinalHeart95 said:
This. I'd rather them tell us Hell no and then come out a year later saying yeah well lied here it is. But am one of the people who really want a remake since I got into VII after playing Crisis Core and I can't seemed to stick it out through the text boxes in the original.