Teen Arrested for Making Threats Over Xbox Live

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010

A conversation over Xbox Live led to the arrest of a young man threatening to shoot up his high school.

A man living in Port Alberni, British Columbia happened to be playing Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278694263&sr=1-1] over Xbox Live when he heard a shocking admission. His fellow player was failing school; he had drawn up a hit list and made detailed plans for a school shooting he would carry out the next day. The man, disturbed by the admission, questioned the player further but the conversation ended abruptly. He immediately contacted Royal Canadian Mounted Police, who in turn launched an investigation, drawing aid from Microsoft Law Enforcement Security who tracked the young man to San Antonio, Texas.

The information was then passed to the San Antonio Police Department, who arrested the suspect.

"This incident demonstrates the power of the electronic world and how different enforcement agencies can quickly work together to protect the citizens they serve, regardless of obstacles such as international barriers," Mounted Police Staff Sgt. Lee Omilusik said. "In this case, the suspect was quickly arrested and no one was hurt thanks to the information received from a concerned citizen."

After an investigation, police determined the suspect wasn't serious about the threats, and have charged him with making a false alarm or report, a felony in San Antonio. The school as issued a short message to parents that the suspect will be removed from school indefinitely.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.vancouversun.com/life/gamer+alerts+police+prevent+high+school+shooting/2562018/story.html]

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Maybe now all the people will see that video games can be used for good!

And maybe terrorist will stop killing people
Barrack Obama will stop getting death threats
and people will SHUT THE FUCK UP about Half-Life 3!

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I read this same thing just a couple days ago....and i applaud this person for exposing the idiots over XBL who think just because they're anonymous that everything and anything can be said

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Wow, if the police take X box threats seriously, it must be a slow day.

Like everything on live, its pure B.S.

I have had 1337 people threaten to kill me and as far as I know it hasnt happened.

happysock

Jul 26, 2009
Austin MacKenzie said:

Call of Duty 2: Modern Warfare

Do you mean Modern warfare 2?

OP: I do hear a lot of stupid threats over xbox live, it does sound a bit strange though

Hybridwolf

Aug 14, 2009
Heh, serves him right for trying to be macho. Reminds me when Newgrounds stopped some kid from setting fire to his school, when he posted a picture of a gas can along with a threat...

But if xbox live can do it, and Newgrounds can do it, why not facebook, and youtube?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
The DSM said:

I have had 1337 people threaten to kill me and as far as I know it hasnt happened.
They killed you in your sleep. You're actually a zombie.

OT: Well, you made the threat, you do the time. Serious or not, you can never be too sure.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
This just in: Don't announce your evil plans over open channels. While we're at it, don't announce something that SOUNDS like evil plans over open channels, either.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I love the Mounties. My own police have nothing better to do than track down some crazy Emo kid in the states. *Sigh.....* Why is live full of wetalds?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Blimey, I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing...

Sure, he ended up being a false alarm, and a waste of police resources, but if it were true...

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
SUPA FRANKY said:
Maybe now all the people will see that video games can be used for good!

And maybe terrorist will stop killing people
Barrack Obama will stop getting death threats
and people will SHUT THE FUCK UP about Half-Life 3!

This was all completely plausible until the half-life 3 mark

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
The title is really misleading, I thought it was about people who said "u sux, iz gona kil u", after I kick their ass.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Actually, I'm glad this happened. Too many people on PSN, XBL or just the internet in general make these kinds of threats. Maybe a case like this will stop people from doing this.

Also, there's a difference in someone on MW2 saying "I'll kick your ass" and a kid going into detailed plans about who he'll kill and where he'd kill them. That is a severe difference and I think people should realize that.

Someone you know you'll never meeting saying they'll kick your ass? Not that big of a deal, but someone saying they'll kill people in their own school, big deal.

Good on the person who reported it, the police and for once, Microsoft. Thankfully, their actions may have stopped a kid from actually harming someone.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Regiment said:
This just in: Don't announce your evil plans over open channels. While we're at it, don't announce something that SOUNDS like evil plans over open channels, either.
Wait, you'd rather have a school shooting?

Even if it's a false alarm?

ZombieT-Bag

Dec 10, 2009
The DSM said:

happens too me too often too
just cause im not the best at the game i should stop playing or theyll kill me

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
This is funny, although admittedly any kind of threat like that can and *should* be taken seriously. You never know if they're going to be serious about it. If you act, you might very well prevent the deaths of a lot of people.

Typhusoid

Nov 20, 2008
Well, the guys obviously a twat, but arresting him seems like an overeaction. He's just one of a million LIVE douchebags who talk big but could take a fly.

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
I for one would like to see more of these tards arrested. Especially if they resist. That would be fun to see.