Sony Bashes Microsoft's "Check Writing" Policy Again

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Bashes Microsoft's "Check Writing" Policy Again

Sony's PR strategy in the console war seems to be to point out that Microsoft is a devilish, top hat-wearing fat cat lording over the population with its giant dollar-sign labeled sacks of cash.

Back in April, Sony IndustryGamers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90937-Sony-Calls-Out-Microsoft-Over-First-Party-Development] that Sony "counters" Xbox 360 exclusives with its own first-party games, which Microsoft simply has no answer to.

"They have very few first-party studios at Microsoft," he says. "Bungie's next Halo is the last one, Rare rarely puts out anything, you've got Peter Molyneux with his Fable stuff... but they don't have first-party development studios inside at Redmond or anywhere for that matter. We do. So rather than putting their money behind that, they've been going to Epic or Valve or BioWare to do what they did with Mass Effect, and that's where they throw their dollars."

Dyer admits that Sony won't "compete with Microsoft on that front," but says that regardless the PlayStation 3 is growing at such a rate that it will definitely overtake the Xbox 360 sometime in the future. "Our global business is bigger than 360's and will continue to get bigger than 360, and people are seeing that. We passed them in Europe and they don't even exist in Japan, and we're going to catch them and pass them here in the U.S. as well," he predicts.

Dyer basically feels that publishers should want their games on the PS3. "When I walk into an EA, they're telling me that for Madden, the one platform they're seeing year-on-year growth is the PS3, or when I walk into Activision and they tell me the same thing for Guitar Hero. Those are big statements, given what has transpired with those franchises." The advantage of the Blu-ray disc is Dyer's thing, with him pointing out multiple publishers would likely say "that by focusing on PS3 and its virtues and what it provides, it translated into much bigger sales and bang for the buck," naming the PS3 Dante's Inferno Divine Edition [http://www.amazon.com/Dantes-Inferno-Divine-Playstation-3/dp/B001NX6GBK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279566057&sr=1-1] as an example.

He's right about one thing: the PlayStation 3's use of Blu-ray is a huge advantage. The average hardcore gamer would probably own both systems at this point, and purchasing Dante's Inferno on the PlayStation 3 over the Xbox 360 is a no-brainer even though some people probably wouldn't even look at the extra features included. More stuff always equals good. I'm not sure about the validity of bashing Microsoft for paying for its exclusives, because that basically seems like the same thing as paying to run a studio to make a game in-house, but the money is simply exchanged in a different way. Sony and Microsoft will just always find ways to attack each other viciously until one of the two die, no matter what happens.

(Via: GI.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-ms-has-very-few-first-party-studios])

TheEarlOfGrey

Feb 5, 2010
If Microsoft have the money to grab timed exclusive DLC and the stuff like that than that's part of their business plan. Sony can't moan just because they didn't get in their first.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
" you've got Peter Molyneux with his Fable stuff... "

Haha, sounds like their opinion of Fable is the same as mine.

Anyway, they seem to both be getting down and dirty with the trash-talk lately (more so than usual).

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
So the Playstation and Playstation 2's hardcore reliance on the RPG market in general, fueled by an exclusivity contract with Square Enix that only recently expired, was entirely different from what Microsoft does when it signs exclusivity contracts with major developers. Huh.

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Sony: Pfft, we won't buy exclusives or make in-house games.

Microsoft: K, we will. Enjoy having less games.

Sony: Look everyone, Microsoft is buying exclusives! Yaaa, booo, hiss etc.

Anyone else find that Nintendo versus SEGA was a lot more sensible and less immature than Sony versus Microsoft?

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
TheEarlOfGrey said:
If Microsoft have the money to grab timed exclusive DLC and the stuff like that than that's part of their business plan. Sony can't moan just because they didn't get in their first.
Quite. Bashing MS for utilising their cash to secure exclusives seems a little "we-can't-afford-it-thus-it's-morally-wrong". Given a wodge of cash, I'm certain Sony would do the exact same thing.

And frankly, I thought we'd passed the bitchy note-passing stage. Both consoles have had time to settle in, we're seeing a very close race, I foolishly thought we'd got to the stage of both companies spending their time getting actual advantages and benefits for their consumers rather than making snide comments.

Chicago Ted

Jan 13, 2009
brewbeard said:
So the Playstation and Playstation 2's hardcore reliance on the RPG market in general, fueled by an exclusivity contract with Square Enix that only recently expired, was entirely different from what Microsoft does when it signs exclusivity contracts with major developers. Huh.
Why look at what we have here! It's our little friend Hypocrisy! Hi Hypocrisy! How are you today?

/sarcasm

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Psst, Sony, the thing is I look for good games. It doesn't really matter to me if they are made by company A or company B, it just matters if they are good.

I hate to break it to you, but it's not a massive conspiracy or anything. I prefer the 360 because it has more games that *gasp* I think are good.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm so tired of this company bashing crap. Sony bought the exclusive rights to Unreal 3 for a year, so they're guilty of this too.

Congrats sony you make some fine games, and you also have the most difficult system to program for of ALL TIME. While your exclusives are absolutely incredible (love me some Ratchet and Clank), your cross platform titles have major problems like, framerate issues, color contrast issues. I raged when I got assassins creed for it and I saw the 360 version, there was color, the framerate was stable.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Oh no, you mean Microsoft actually wants to have games in it's portfolio? How dare they! And little ol' Sony has to rely on themselves for once unlike from '95-'06? Awww, poor widdle baby! :(

TheEarlOfGrey

Feb 5, 2010
Singing Gremlin said:
TheEarlOfGrey said:
I foolishly thought we'd got to the stage of both companies spending their time getting actual advantages and benefits for their consumers rather than making snide comments.
As did I. The console wars in the public eye may have ended, but for the companies themselves they secretly still rage on in a constant race of one-up-manship against the other.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Well, usually I just get tired of this crap between them, but this time... Well, he's kinda right.

Not to say he's not being a whiny ***** though.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Microsoft doesn't have a Team ICO, that's for sure. If they did have a Team ICO they would get them working on a Halo branded platformer then shut them down.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Like it or not, the console market remains dominated by the Wii, and low-cost commercial PCs have outspecced the PS3 since about a week after its release; and with the exception of alan wake and button mashers, the pc ends up with most of the titles released as well. Theres no reason I'd want to play anything that runs on a pc on a console, and theres no reason I'd want to play anything designed for the wii on a ps3.

As far as I am concerned, sony and microsoft can continue to argue about who is in third place til the cows come home.

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
All exclusives are evil. They just mean that you can only play games if you've bought the console for them.

Perhaps Sony has a point about their exclusives actually being created by them, but since exclusives for them are little more than a way to encourage more people to buy their console so it can dominate the market, Microsoft is using a legitimate Counter-strategy in my opinion.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Microsoft is perfectly within their rights to use money to get games, I'm not complaining and I'm pretty sure Sony would do the exact same thing and in did with companies like square-enix.