Don Solid Snake's 3D Glasses in Metal Gear Arcade

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Don Solid Snake's 3D Glasses in Metal Gear Arcade

Japanese arcades have always been years ahead of American ones, so it's no surprise that Metal Gear Arcade is going to get some of the hottest peripherals to date.

Konami just released a trailer [http://www.konami.jp/mg_arcade/?ref=AOU2010] at Japan's AOU Expo, where all the newest arcade games and technology are revealed. The upcoming game, Metal Gear Arcade, will allow players to jump into the body of Snake or one of his comrades and partake in gunfights, explosions, and hiding under cardboard boxes.

Billed as "Tactical Online Action," Arcade offers gamers something new in the way of peripherals - a pair of 3D glasses and a gun controller. In addition to giving you a 3D perspective, the glasses have a few other handy features, such as a head tracking system, that makes your character look where you look, a microphone for voice chat, and a speaker system that surrounds your head for greater immersion into the gaming experience.

Will we see this game hitting stateside? It's hard to tell. While the Metal Gear franchise is certainly popular, arcades aren't nearly as prevalent in America. This technology may not leave Japan for quite some time, but who knows? In a few years, we might be able to pick up our guns and join the battle with Solid Snake, as portrayed by the ten-year-old who managed to grab the character before you.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/19/metal-gear-arcade-head-tracking-3d-glasses-exposed/]

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
Woah...

That is a good looking arcade game.

Weirdly, I've never seen an arcade in America in my entire life.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
i want this now.
NOW.

I doubt this will make it here any time soon.

My local arcade just now got Virtual On.......

laryri

May 19, 2008
That looks really cool actually. I wish arcades were still popular nowadays.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I'd rather they not do this, but instead port Metal Gear Solid 4 to the 360.

That would be better. I want to play MGS without waiting for Rising.

BattlePope

Aug 2, 2008
Gigaguy64 said:

Mine used to have DDR, then they got rid of it and didn't even replace it. I play House of the Dead (the first one mind you) since there's that and Silent Scope (again the first one) and little else that is playable....

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
BattlePope said:
Gigaguy64 said:

Mine used to have DDR, then they got rid of it and didn't even replace it. I play House of the Dead (the first one mind you) since there's that and Silent Scope (again the first one) and little else that is playable....
Mine still hase some decent fighters including the first MvC, MvC2, SNK VS Capcom 2000, and Marvel VS Super Street Fighter.
It did have Guilty Gear Midnight Carnival XX but, they got rid of it.

It does, however, have this really cool FPSl(First Person Slasher), i cant remember the name of it though....ill haft to look it up.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
So, not only have they just now announced this title (as far as I know), they have a trailer and gameplay footage to accompany it, but after almost a year after Metal Gear Solid: Rising's announcement, all we have is a piece of CG art that came with the announcement? Konami, I'd like to know where your priorities are.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The catch:

Probably $5 per play.

Although that probably matches the price on most games at Dave and Buster's these days.

BattlePope

Aug 2, 2008
I think we still have Soul Calibur 2. That is the closest arcade; I live in a large enough town that there were about 3 arcades, but one closed down after somebody got stabbed in the parking lot or something. The second one is in a mall and is supposed be run by Namco, but that is the one that kinda sucks now... The last one opened up and all it really has are whatever the last Tekken was, Time Crisis 4, and House of the Dead 4.

I guess it's cool, but they've got just those games (maybe a few others, but they're not that fun) and half the time some hyperactive kid broke something.

I do still love to play House of the Dead 1, but since I always played it from the second player perspective I have to use both guns at once, which makes me feel like a ridiculous showoff. But I do get up to the second boss and halfway towards beating that fight on just the two credits to play the player one and player two guns.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
tmujir955 said:
Woah...

That is a good looking arcade game.

Weirdly, I've never seen an arcade in America in my entire life.
Wow that's sad (not on your part) I use to live in Lawton Oklahoma and the mall there had a small, and I mean small, arcade room. I moved to Dallas in August last year, went back home for Christmas and that arcade room was completely gone. The arcade era is long gone in the U.S.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
So you would be wearing geeky glasses and aiming a gun while talking... in public? Is embarrasing enough for a 25 year old to play regular arcades in public.

Most of the arcades here are pirate ones now, the ones that have a cpu with an arcade emulator inside.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Better than TV glasses!
Awesome!

Its things like this that make me look foreward to the future. It really is magic, isn't it?

SomeGuyNamedKy

Sep 25, 2008
Too bad I'll never see that game in my life time. The arcades in my city are a shit and a half. I have to go like an hour north of me to Orlando and pay like $40 to get into Disney Quest just to play good arcade games.