EA Says Industry Is Strong, Despite "Cynics"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
EA Says Industry Is Strong, Despite "Cynics"

The chief operating officer at Electronic Arts said not to let the "cynics" get you down, the videogame industry is still going strong.

John Schappert, COO of EA, took the stage at the DICE (Design, Innovate, Communicate, Entertain) Summit in Las Vegas and tried to assuage any fears that the videogame industry was in a decline. He pointed out that although overall sales reports from NPD may have plateaued or even dipped, the numbers ignore the fact that certain business models saw huge increases in 2009. Schappert went on to urge quality over quantity because although consumers might be buying less games, they want to play them for longer amounts of time. The industry should recognize that through healthy marketing and digital support for titles.

"The roof is not caving in," he said. "Every generation has ushered in a larger, more resilient industry than the one before. We have more consumers and more new gamers than we ever had before." Anyone want to guess what agricultural simulator he's talking about?

He believes that publishers must continue to support games for longer than they have in the past. "The days of ship-it-and-forget-it are gone - as game makers we need to plan for a long term relationship with our consumers," said Schappert. "People are buying fewer games now than before, but people want to play those games for longer - so it's a big opportunity for the connected consoles that we have"

Schappert said marketing is still important, pointing out his company's purchase of advertising time during the Super Bowl for Dante's Inferno. "All too often we see great games that don't get the marketing they deserve," he said, but pointed out that "great marketing can't make a bad game good - it might have happened a decade ago, but no longer."

Interestingly, he said that although online distribution is vital, the industry can't give up the boxed product completely. "Before you give up making shiny disc-based games and jump for this hot new space, we need to take a bit of caution - there will be consolidation, and we're probably in a bubble," he said.

"Don't abandon your consumer base - specifically those shiny discs. We often forget about how important the disc is - I don't think in the near term, medium term or the long term we're going to lose that disc."

I don't know what he's talking about. I've lost many a game disc in my time.

Source: Gamesindustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/schappert-dont-let-the-cynics-get-you-down]

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
I prefer downloadable Games than a Hard disc, Its why i like to use steam and the PS store, hell the reason i dont buy most games is because it doesn't allow me to download it of the store, and il be damned if im getting of my ass for a 2 minute drive to buy MAG, what is this? The middle Ages?

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Pandalisk said:
I prefer downloadable Games than a Hard disc, Its why i like to use steam and the PS store, hell the reason i dont buy most games is because it doesn't allow me to download it of the store, and il be damned if im getting of my ass for a 2 minute drive to buy MAG, what is this? The middle Ages?
They didn't have to make an incredible game for you. (Just Kidding)
As for digital distrubution there's an enn ep which details my views on it perfectly. I like having a box to show off and the collectibles that come with it. Big Daddy figurine anyone?

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
When someone like that says 'the roof isn't caving in', the roof is probably caving in.

I sure as hell hope not.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
It is better EA suck 12% less than they did last year.

Yes I stole that of ENN, but it fits.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
The DSM said:
It is better EA suck 12% less than they did last year.

Yes I stole that of ENN, but it fits.
EA has redeemed it's self to me in many ways. I think we should throw them a party.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
S.R.S. said:
Pandalisk said:
As for digital distrubution there's an enn ep which details my views on it perfectly. I like having a box to show off and the collectibles that come with it. Big Daddy figurine anyone?
ill pick it up eventually, still its a inconvenience since going to town is difficult what with me living in the middle of nowhere.

How dare they provide an online experiance with 256 players!.

See thats where me and you differ, you like the collectibles, while i couldn't really give a damn, i suppose there home delivery sites like Amazon that could satisfy me, but the delivery takes too long, i'd prefer just to go onto the PS store and download it in two hours tops.

I found it strange that a Online only game wasn't distributed Online.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I never thought it was weak, just need to listen less to the critics =D

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I always find it funny when EA comes out and says stuff like this. I mean they are losing how many millions each quarter? Sure out of all the big companies they seem to have thier finger on the pulse of the operation (I know EA = evil assholes). Rewarding those who buy new, DLC coming out for all thier new games on a regular basis. They seem to be the only company not intent on punishing all of thier customers lately.

S.R.S.

Nov 3, 2009
Pandalisk said:
S.R.S. said:
Pandalisk said:
ill pick it up eventually, still its a inconvenience since going to town is difficult what with me living in the middle of nowhere.

See thats where me and you differ, you like the collectibles, while i couldn't really give a damn, i suppose there home delivery sites like Amazon that could satisfy me, but the delivery takes too long, i'd prefer just to go onto the PS store and download it in two hours tops.

They could do it I mean they did it with Warhawk, gt prolouge and SOCOM confrontaion right?

Looking at all the crap I've collected over the years that money could have been used to buy the things I really need like food and my rent. But I'm a sucker for shiny new things that are ridiculously over priced.

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
Don't trust those guys with their fancy statistics when you can take my word for it! You just need to make more DLC!

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
S.R.S. said:
Pandalisk said:
S.R.S. said:
Pandalisk said:

They could do it I mean they did it with Warhawk, gt prolouge and SOCOM confrontaion right?

Looking at all the crap I've collected over the years that money could have been used to buy the things I really need like food and my rent. But I'm a sucker for shiny new things that are ridiculously over priced.
Exactly, i bought Confrontation and Warhawk BECAUSE they were online, it was an impulsive buy, made easier by the fact it was online, do they know the potential market of Moronic Impulse buyers like me they are losing by not distributing online?

Elefunk, Mortal Combat 2, The blue Toad mystery files, Warhawk, Confrontation, the first Watchmen game (Didn't fall for Part 2!), Fat princess, COD:Classic, Mother fucking Savage moon, all impulsives buys by me, i would not have made if not for them being readily avaible online

Amen brother, who needs food when you have an awesome Big Daddy figureen?, Or Some bitching concept art?

Screw_it

Jan 21, 2010
Schappert said marketing is still important, pointing out his company's purchase of advertising time during the Super Bowl for Dante's Inferno. "All too often we see great games that don't get the marketing they deserve," he said, but pointed out that "great marketing can't make a bad game good - it might have happened a decade ago, but no longer."

So, is Schappert saying Dante's Inferno is a piece of shit? or is he saying it's good?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
People are saying the Video games industry is weakening?

...Lol. All industries dip up and down, but I highly doubt the growth of this industry is plateau-ing any time soon. Always somthing new and shiny to show us magpies, and I can imagine there is faaar more to come.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
And so marks the end of a decade of mostly shit games as the entire industry got caught up in eye candy products and are, just now, finally over themselves.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
It's not so much an industry that is in decline, it's people being more cautious. Back in the PS1 days, most games were good. Well, at least good enough to keep you entertained for a while. However, while EA is right in saying that games are lasting longer, I don't think they've recognised that fewer games are being created now than back ten years ago because of longer development time. Which, in turn, means less games.

As well as this, our standards have risen; or has quality lowered? Either way, we're a lot more cautious in what games to get. About five years ago, I'd pre-order a game which I had heard very little about and I was satisfied (mostly). Now, I'm ducking and weaving and only pre-ordering games which I can guarantee will be good and come free with extra stuff.

I will also add fan boy-ism has contributed to this. There's Call Of Duty players refusing to touch World Of Warcraft, there's the X-Box 360 owners refusing to touch PS3 and there's the gamers which are older then 13 refusing to play a game out of fears it's too childish. No one wants to take any risks and try something new, so they don't. Which means less sales generally.

In non-gaming news, we've also just been through a large economic mess. So that's probably effected it a lot.

Is this a good thing or bad thing? Well, who knows really? It's good that games are being quality controlled more, but at the same time, they're being discriminated against for irrelevant reasons. So who's to say?