Homeworld Coming Home? Relic Regaining Franchise, Document Shows

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Homeworld Coming Home? Relic Regaining Franchise, Document Shows

A U.S. trademark document apparently shows a transfer of the franchise's ownership to its original developer's publisher, THQ.

Homeworld, the renown real-time strategy title set in outer space, may be more than a relic of the past.

Astute forum denizens at Relic News discovered a trademark document that supposedly proves the franchise name has been transferred from Vivendi Universal to THQ - the company that owns Homeworld's developer, Relic Entertainment.

The document is signed by THQ big gun James M. Kennedy and appoints attorneys to represent the franchise in intellectual property negotiations. Documents show an August 14, 2007, transaction for the title and expansion trademark.

Homeworld was, up until now, owned by Vivendi subsidiary Sierra Online, since it published the first game in 1997. Seven years later, Relic was bought out by THQ for $10 million and carved out a reputation with the Dawn of War and Company of Heroes series.

Source: Shacknews.com [http://shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49769]

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
The graphics in the original Homeworld changed my perspective on life.

They gave me purpose.

They made me WHOLE.

Please make another? :)

jonathon

Nov 6, 2007
The Homeworlds are easily some of my favorite games, ever. A new Homeworld, especially now that Relic have honed their RTS development skills to near perfection with DoW and CoH, truly sets my heart aflutter.

And eggdog, you might find this [http://www.answers.com/topic/aesthetic-completion] interesting.

OrenA

Sep 14, 2007
Hmm... I dunno.

Don't get me wrong, Homeworld perhaps my favorite game of all time, and most of me really want to see another one. But then I think of Homeworld II and Cataclysm.

Neither of those games were bad, but for some reason I do not understand, things were actually taken out from the original game. Although it had an interesting story, Cataclysm removed almost all of the unit balance that helped make HW1 so great (you basically just spammed the Dreadnought). And although HWII brought back the combined fleets that I knew and love, it was still missing a lot. I mean, why on earth would you go to all the trouble of programming in awesome ship-to-ship collisions and then take them OUT? And the formations, what did they do to deserve being taken out? I miss them. When I play them now, HW1 actually feels more like the sequel because it has so much extra content (and don?t get me started on how stupid the story in HW2 was).

To be clear, I will celebrate the best of them if there is a HW3. I will buy it, I will play it. I just worry about the trend continuing downward.