GoldenEye 007 Returns Through Perfect Dark Remake

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
GoldenEye 007 Returns Through Perfect Dark Remake

The N64's GoldenEye 007 won't be coming back in an official capacity anytime soon, but Xbox Live Arcade's upcoming Perfect Dark remake will give a taste of what it would be like.

Current Microsoft Game Studios creative director Ken Lobb, who once worked on 1997 N64 shooter GoldenEye 007 while at Nintendo, has indicated that the game is not a property he has any say in bringing back as a remake. Instead, he's been working on a remake of its spiritual sequel, the N64's Perfect Dark, which will include a little of James Bond's DNA, though not the kind he donates to saucily-named harlots.

The designers of Perfect Dark were able to add weapons and multiplayer levels from GoldenEye 007 when it released on the N64, and Ken Lobb confirmed to Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5475357/xbla-perfect-dark-multiplayer-features-goldeneye-weapons-levels] that the same will be true for its Xbox Live remake. These multiplayer levels will be the Facility, Temple, and Complex; names that bring back some great memories. Weapons were not specifically listed, though they likely will include a version of the one-hit-kill Golden Gun and the Klobb, which is notorious for being a piece of junk but really fun to kill people with anyway.

The remake of Perfect Dark is coming to Xbox Live in March and will be priced at 800 Microsoft Points. While the game's multiplayer was extremely fun back in the day thanks to its plethora of maps, modes, and weapons, I'm wondering how well it will hold up today. $10 is not a lot of money for a fun multiplayer game, so even if the gameplay ends up feeling slow compared to today's fast-paced shooters it could be fun for a little fragging. Including GoldenEye nostalgia doesn't hurt, either.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
ah yes, golden eye was fun, but its 13 years old, and this game looks like it came out the next year, its like new super mario brothers wii, looks better but so much has happened in gaming since then that it isn't worth it.

and the fact that they try using nostalgia to pursue gamer instead of showing what the story is about is probably a bad sign.

JugglerPanda

Apr 23, 2009
It's about bloody time they mentioned this game again.

I've been excited for this game since it was announced. Finally, a reason to play my Xbox 360 again.

Green Tentacle

Apr 9, 2009
It might not be good as Goldeneye going on the XBLA, but it's still a good idea.

Just wondering, will there be online multiplayer for this game?

Apr 28, 2008
Ah the Klobb... I loved killing people with that thing. Though 9 times out of 10 I would fail epicly...

March can't come soon enough :D

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
Well if I wanna play the real Golden Eye. I'll tell you what I'll do!
Play it on my Bloody N64!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Yessssssss.

I liked Perfect Dark. Perfect Dark Zero wasn't bad either, just not as good as its predecessor (follow-up in continuity?).

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Green Tentacle said:
It might not be good as Goldeneye going on the XBLA, but it's still a good idea.

Just wondering, will there be online multiplayer for this game?
Of course it will! I can't imagine otherwise.

They will learn to fear my Lap-Top!

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
comadorcrack said:
Well if I wanna play the real Golden Eye. I'll tell you what I'll do!
Play it on my Bloody N64!
Agreed. (gets out his N64) anybody for splitscreen?

As a ps3 user I couldn't care less.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I have an odd feeling that booting up Goldeneye on an N64 would make me realize that it hasn't aged well. And that it would SUCK.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
For the first time I am actually jealous of Xbox owners... for the first time...I think I wish I had a xbox =(

Or at least my n64 perfect dark cartridge back.

NoNameMcgee

Feb 24, 2009
Er, is it just me or do the graphics still look pretty shitty?

Also, I only played the original game recently and it has not aged well. Though I'm sure it was amazing at the time, its very mediocre by today's standards.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I have an odd feeling that booting up Goldeneye on an N64 would make me realize that it hasn't aged well. And that it would SUCK.
I did it, and it was fun, but there was a lot of nostalgia affecting my brain at the time.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Irridium said:
Ah the Klobb... I loved killing people with that thing. Though 9 times out of 10 I would fail epicly...

hahaha, every time I picked up a klobb I would yell
"It's KLOBBering time!!!"

Tom Goldman said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I did it, and it was fun, but there was a lot of nostalgia affecting my brain at the time.
By nostalgia do you, perhaps, mean alcohol? ;)

Fniff

Apr 15, 2009
This is what they should do.

Remake good crap for the "Yoof" by adding some good graphics and online support. There, a great game in retro circles is brought back.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Give me Money Penny!

OT: I'll probably give it a try. I'm an age old fan of 007, I might need my fix of something similar soon

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Facility (or Felicity as I believe it was called in the N64 original) was always a part of Perfect Dark, so it's not really any indication that there's any plans to remake Goldeneye. The reason a few of the Goldeneye multiplayer maps were included in Perfect Dark is because PD is both the spiritual successor to GE and many of the same people who made GE were part of the PD development team.

Apr 28, 2008
AC10 said:
Irridium said:

hahaha, every time I picked up a klobb I would yell
"It's KLOBBering time!!!"
Thank god I'm not the only one who says that!

I remember whenever I would play the game with friends, there was always that one bastard who selected Oddjob when no one was paying attention, got the klobb, and ran around pissing everyone off.

Good times, good times...