Take (Neptune's) Pride in Your Treachery

Barbalute

funny is not allowed
Jan 4, 2010
Take (Neptune's) Pride in Your Treachery

Betray your friends in Neptune's Pride, the browser-based strategy game with a social twist.

Read Full Article

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Well, I tried one game, and it turned out to be deceptively fun, much like what Barbalute said.

Sadly, I did too well in the beggining, and thus was killed by a group of the others :'(

Reminds me of tribal wars, without the Stupid.

EDIT: Also, if anyone wants to play, feel free to message.

It would be cool to get an Escapist game going :)

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
'scuse me, but there is already an awesome web-based space strategy game on the intertubes, that is played by many thousand people, it's called OGame. The premise is the same, you build your colonies, you research, you build fleets and send them to war.

My and my clan, [Borg], won OGame in one of the many universes (servers) after about 2 years of playing (if you can call it winning, you can't "win" a game like this. Our victory condition was to reach first place on the leaderboards, both with the clan and individually) and after we "won", most of us, including me, finished playing and deleted our accounts. You have to retire at the top, after all. But the game changed a lot in the recent years, so I might give it another run sometime, maybe resurrect the good old [Borg] clan.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Intresting concept. Going to delve deeper with this and see what happens!

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Hoping it doesn't get on the Pay2Play basis, and that it keeps the simple feel to it :D

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Reminds me of The Last Knights, the browser game that had our entire senior high school year addicted. While it has a more complicated battle system (and a lot more units), it too focusses heavily on diplomacy and only requires a few minutes of 'playtime' each day.

But this is set in space. Hence, I'll be playing this right after posting.

AddytheGreat

May 25, 2009
Heh, I read an article on this in PC Gamer a few days ago, and decided to try it out.

I've formed an alliance with two people, who are at war, with each other. I've convinced them both that I'm attacking the other.
But that?s just a snippet of my Master Plan, I can?t release further details for security reasons.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Interesting.

The player cap pretty much negates the whole issue that I had with Travian, i.e. you are very much at the mercy of those who came before. It sounds like it more resembles a complex board game like Twilight Imperium. I think many massive browser-based games try to overreach themselves, and I would play a board game-esque model for a much longer time.

I have to be in a mood to try these types of games but consider it bookmarked.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Playbahnosh said:
'scuse me, but there is already an awesome web-based space strategy game on the intertubes, that is played by many thousand people, it's called OGame. The premise is the same, you build your colonies, you research, you build fleets and send them to war.
You missed an important point in the review:
What makes the game different, though, is that unlike most browser-based strategy games of this type it doesn't boast thousands of simultaneous players in the same game - the free games are set at 8 players.
Playing among tousands is a tedious exercise in persistence.

This, however i will look into. I hope it isn't as time-consuming as Supremacy 1914 [http://www.supremacy1914.com/]. I mean, really, spending a month on a single playthrough is a bit too much for a game of this scope.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Sounds a lot like Ikariam, a similar style of game only it's set in some ancient Greece or something. It has a much greater emphasis on materials tho, seeing as there are 4 resources, but you pretty much play for a few minutes each day and let the game work it's self.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Halceon said:
Playing among tousands is a tedious exercise in persistence.
Perhaps, but it does has it's charm. Playing with only 7 other people online seems like a waste though, when you can play with many thousands at the same time, but I think I see your point. You don't have to divide your attention so much and you can concentrate on the strategy more. But a turn does take a day even for a 8 people game, and that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Sgt. Dante said:
Sounds a lot like Ikariam, a similar style of game only it's set in some ancient Greece or something. It has a much greater emphasis on materials tho, seeing as there are 4 resources, but you pretty much play for a few minutes each day and let the game work it's self.
Ikariam was made by same company that made Ogame, the name is Gameforge. They also made BiteFight, CABAL, Metin and a lot of other popular browser games. In fact, they made Ikariam well after OGame, and the former is more or less based on the latter in many aspects. I think you should check it out, OGame is a fine browser strategy.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Mmmh, looks interesting since a player can be a significant force rather than a insignificant speck of dust in the big picture..

But it seems to still requires you to be there all the time to be competitive.

At least you might not be at the mercy of those who came before you (like.. all damned games of this kind i know) so you wont be "just a speedbump" when they steamroll over you.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
i just started my first round and so far this game seems deceptively simple and highly addictive.

RHippy

Sep 8, 2009
I completed my first game on this a couple of weeks ago. Other than the irritatingly high drop-out rate of players leading to AI taking over and having no interest in diplomacy/backstabbing it is a very enjoyable little game. I might just be saying that because I won the game though.

Ph33nix

Jul 13, 2009
well 24 hours into game 1 i still can't stop thinking out my strat this game is addictive

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Hmmm, the concept is intriguing, but relies on people, 8 people, to be commited, and it would be a rare game ideed where you have such people.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Well, this is certainly better than i expected. It's day 4 in the universe of Chi Baten Kaitos and already the glorious conglomerate of Haltz Aeon industries is engaging in skirmishes with the loathesome Guderian's Lament. Propaganda aside, this game is suprisingly well paced. While a turn still nominally is 24 hours, the amount you can actually do in those hours is delightful. I expected the game to become drawn out, but it actually looks like a round can be over in some 2 weeks or so. Of course, if all 8 players would be active, it might turn out differently.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
scifidownbeat said:
We should play together sometime!
I dunno. I'll probably want to have a month or 2 off of it. It is still somewhat buggy. I can't send cash if i have less than $25, the turns grow ever longer and it's just a draining experience in and of itself.