Stolen Pixels #171: Probe Away

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #171: Probe Away

Mass Effect 2's mining "mini-game" has deeper ramifications you might not be aware of.

Read Full Article

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Sounds about right:

"scanners show this planet has small bicrobial life early in its early stages of evolution and rich in resources"

PROBE AWAY
PROBE AWAY
PROBE AWAY
PROBE AWAY
PROBE AWAY
PROBE AWAY
PROBE AWAY
PROBE AWAY

"Planet Resources depleted"

*flies away, sipping a big gulp*

Benjeezy

Dec 3, 2009
Haaaaaa

Yay Shamus. Even YOU took a crack at the mining.

Good stuff :) excellent as always.

Lazarus Long

Nov 20, 2008
But you have to admit it's more engaging than wrestling with the Mako. Maybe in ME3 they'll figure out how to make resource gathering fun.

Although, probing Uranus never, ever gets old. The Dev Team Thinks of Everything, indeed.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
My Renegade stripmined every planet in every system he came across, just for this reason. Turns out, you don't need half of it, and it's really not that painful.

Apr 28, 2008
I have always thought about that myself, especially when I probe inhabited planets I can't land on. There's a good chance I hit a few settlements as well.

"I found a buttload of Irridium there."
I was mentioned in a Stolen Pixel comic! I'm so happy :D

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I wish I could find a planet like that! lol

Great comic!

The Undoer

Sep 13, 2009
Witty! I don't even play the game, and I found the last three down right hilarious! Though, your L4Dumb is my favourite. ^_^

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Irridium said:
I have always thought about that myself, especially when I probe inhabited planets I can't land on. There's a good chance I hit a few settlements as well.

How much of you is a buttload, though?

So, is Mass Effect 2 going to have Avatar DLC?

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
I don't even want to think about how many times you had to fly back to the fueling depot to get enough probes to porcupine the planet like that. Actually, that looks a little like the first planet I mined, before I figured out how high the peaks on that graph would go.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This is exactly what I do in every game. Even if I don't use the weapons, EVER, I still upgrade them all like, how did Yahtzee put it? A man suffering from OCD in a warehouse full of untied shoes?

Apr 28, 2008
JEBWrench said:
Irridium said:

How much of you is a buttload, though?
hehehe, I'm a whole lotta man ;)

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
Lazarus Long said:
But you have to admit it's more engaging than wrestling with the Mako. Maybe in ME3 they'll figure out how to make resource gathering fun.

Although, probing Uranus never, ever gets old. The Dev Team Thinks of Everything, indeed.
the only problem i had in ME1 was the fact that to get all the resources and encounters you had to drive all over the place (to find the map markings) but the driving itself? i enjoyed that more then the mining... (and apparantly more then i should've)
edit: awesome comic though and probing uranus does never get old indeed

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
I did use the SMG a bit, it definitely wasn't the best weapon. It does seem to work well with cryo bullets however.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Why do people still say it was "better than the mako"?

I mean, the mining sucks so bad.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
I use the SMG as a Shield Killer for when I'm too far for the Shotgun and I don't have access to the Assault Rifle. Also a good chunk of the teammates have a SMG/HP combos, so if nothing else it makes your teammates slightly more useful.