Richard Garriot Says "His" Game is Yet to Come

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Richard Garriot Says "His" Game is Yet to Come

Richard Garriott is dead serious about making Sweet @$! Poker the best Texas Hold 'Em game on Facebook, but says what really motivates him is the chance to create new "Ultima [http://www.uo.com/archive/]-esque" games in the future.

We Facebook [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98382-Richard-Garriott-is-Back-in-the-Game]. Setting aside the fact that the world needs more Texas Hold 'Em like it needs a hole in the head, what was one of the most famed game designers in the world doing spending his time making a Facebook card game?

Making it the best Facebook card game he possibly could, apparently. "Just go compare the qualitative aspects of our poker game to the qualitative aspects of the ones that are already kicking the butts of every game they've ever played from a financial standpoint," he told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5477178/braced-for-the-skeptics-richard-garriott-challenges-gamers-and-teases-whats-next?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29]. "And I believe it will be very clear from a little inspection why ours is tangibly easier to use, faster to load , faster to install, smoother graphics, everything."

The man clearly takes this game seriously. In fact, Garriott believes that casual gaming, which he describes as games that anyone can play at any time, is poised to dominate the industry and he sees Portalarium as an opportunity to help pioneer that evolution.

"If your favorite game could have been delivered in a way to where you didn't have to make an up-front investment, you didn't have to read the instructions, you could just sit down and play it; it was available just by somebody sending you a link; and only after you played it and were hooked on it would you then have to pay for it, I guarantee you that would be a game you would find even better than your current favorite game," he said. "And yet you just would have met the criteria of what I think is important in this casual gamer framework."

But it's also apparent that Sweet @$! Poker is just the first step on a longer journey. Garriott said the game is so much better than its competitors "because of the foundation we decided to build upon," that being the cross-platform Portalarium Player software, which proved that high-quality games could be made and launched through sites like Facebook. But "his" game, he added, is yet to come.

"Today we're talking about the Portalarium. We have yet to announce quote-unquote my game," he said. "What motivates me is to go back and make Ultima-esque, familiar Ultima-esque games. But I believe the right place is to do that on this platform."

We can only hope that when it does come time to announce quote-unquote "his" game, the words Ultima Underworld 3 will figure prominently. Are you reading this, Richard?

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Dear Mr. Gar... British: We'll talk when you get it on Linux. I don't touch Facebook games without it.

Vierran

None here.
Oct 11, 2009
I have always liked Lord British, at least he has had interesting ideas...even if they don't always turn out well, but i think he is a little entrepreneurial for his own good sometimes. If it means i get more Ultima goodness though, i can live with it.

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
Garriott still hasn't grasped the fact that having your heyday as a game designer in the C-64 era has little bearing on making modern games.

Plus the fact that I can't shake the feeling that if I buy anything he develops, I'll be funding a new dungeon under his house, or a trip into space, or some similar descent into Michael Jackson style infantilism.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
BehattedWanderer said:
Shit, someone call the looney bin, he's escaped again!

Bugger, how does he keep doing that?
because he is lord british he is allowed outside the looney bin at tea time

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Newsflash - nobody gives a damn about you since you lost your last game. Yes, claim that Tabula Rasa wasn't your game. But somehow, your name got into the title of "Richard Garriot's Tabula Rasa".

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well. Certainly has the cash!

At least he is trying, perhaps, one day Lord British

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
ravensshade said:
BehattedWanderer said:

You would think that we would have learned by now to lock the gate, at least, and leave him to wander the garden with the "Welcome to the Empire" banner hanging over it.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
ravensshade said:
BehattedWanderer said:

It helps that said bin is run by Dr. British.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
We can only hope that when it does come time to announce quote-unquote "his" game, the words Ultima Underworld 3 will figure prominently.
Unfortunately unlikely. "Ultima" belongs to EA, and considering Garriotts history with EA, and EAs most recent abuse of the term [http://www.lordofultima.com]* it's not going to happen. I share your dream though.

And you missed a +t in the Title.

* disclaimer: game has nothing in common with previous Ultimas

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
RedMenace said:
Lets see... Garriot, a man who managed to fuck up a marvelous concept of "Tabula Rasa" and than traveled to space to deliver a "digitized DNA" of the best TR players... Ugh... I think he was born bat-shit crazy, therefore he sometimes comes up with good concepts but can not keep his insanity from destroying them.
Including this guy:

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Does anyone else think that Richard Garriot looks like Dad from Fallout 3 in that picture?

CopperBoom

Nov 11, 2009
Kalezian said:

Ultima Online: Facebook Edition...

I called it first...
I want it first... and most.

I cannot play MMOs of any sort. Star Wars [though I hope KOTAR is amazing], EverQuest 1,2 & PS2, Age of Conan, City of Heroes/Villians, Free Realms, WOW, etc... I have tried a ton of these games and I have not ever enjoyed one even a fraction as much as Ultima Online [back in the day 2D] on a role playing PvP shard.

The graphics do not have to be much and I do not care that I have never played a game on Facebook, this will bring me into the fold.

I want this to happen so much.