Analyst Predicts Call of Duty 4 To Outsell Halo 3

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Analyst Predicts Call of Duty 4 To Outsell Halo 3

Halo 3 [http://www.nollenbergercapital.com/].

Commenting on the game's immense popularity, Greenwald said, "Call of Duty 4, which was released two days ago by Activision [http://www.activision.com], appears to be in extremely high demand and is sold out across the board. We've checked with a wide range of retailers (Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Target) and only pre-orders are being satisfied - stores are otherwise sold out of the title."

"Thus far, the game has an average score of 9.5/10 on Metacritic.com [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/callofduty4modernwarfare?q=call%20of%20duty%204], which is almost unprecedented and puts it on par with Halo 3," he continued. "It certainly is the highest-rated game Activision has ever created. Keep in mind, CoD4 is launching on four times as many platforms (Xbox 360, PlayStation3, PC, DS) as Halo 3 (360 only). Halo 3 has so far sold about 4 million units. A year ago, Call of Duty 3 sold about 3 million units, and we anticipate this year's version could do four million or more."

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is the latest entry in Activision's long-running Call of Duty franchise, and the first not to be set in World War II. Players take on the role of soldiers in both the British ESRB [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Air_Service].

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Halo 3 has so far sold about 4 million units. A year ago, Call of Duty 3 sold about 3 million units, and we anticipate this year's version could do four million or more.
Desolee, mon ami, but Halo 1 sold 6 million copies (IIRC, dunno if that includes PC sales) worldwide and Halo 2 (XBox) sold 8 million. I think there's room for Halo 3's sales to keep growing as more 360 consoles sell... and let's not forget the coming Holiday season which is bound to deliver a sales spike.

COD4's a good title from what I've seen. In a way, I kinda hope they do make it due to their cross-platform stance. But nuthin's outselling Halo 3 on the 360.

-- Steve

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
I've been a Halo fan since the first. I really like what Bungie did with the first two games, and I do enjoy the gameplay of the third. However, all I have to say about it after playing Call of Duty 4 is.....what's Halo3?

Seriously, when it comes to tactical combat shooters, Call of Duty 4 is insanely better. The only thing Halo has that it doesn't have is co-op, which is a serious shame because I keep thinking "I can't wait to go home for Thanksgiving and co-op CoD4 with my brother!....oh, wait...".

Unfortunately, I doubt that it will outsell Halo 3, but it damn well should!

xbeaker

Sep 11, 2007
Does this mean *gasp* that Halo3 is not the only game running for game of the year?!

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Well... he's paid to speak his mind. Nice, I'd like to. Anyway, who cares? :)

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Well, COD4, like many of the other great games of this year...is better than Halo 3. But that means anything BUT "it's going to sell better."
Look at Psychonauts and Sam and Max, then Halo 3, and you see there's almost no connection between a game's quality and its popularity these days...

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
That's an unfair comparison, really. COD4 does have a chance to outsell Halo 3...combined. Halo 3 has "sold about 4 million units," but this is all on ONE console. Just ONE! Even with COD4 on three consoles and a portable (yes, I consider PC to be a console), it's still in an incredibly close race with Halo 3 for units sold.

If we were going for COD4 sales based on it's highest selling version, it's not even a contest. COD4 is not a system seller, Halo 3 is. It just doesn't get more fiscally simple than that.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Actually, that's not a bad point...
Still, Halo 3 got an AMAZING level of advertising. It's a hard call.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
xbeaker said:
Does this mean *gasp* that Halo3 is not the only game running for game of the year?!
Honestly, unless all the gaming sites out there are really that shitty/stupid, I don't see Halo 3 getting game of the year at all. I mean, when Bioshock came out everyone was vaunting that as the potential winning game. Don't know if that will hold true with Assassin's Creed coming this week and Call of Duty kicking some major ass, not to mention the perfection of the Orange Box and even the simple, sweet fun of Mario Galaxy. However, Halo 3 is one of those things that you get to finish the trilogy. Like the third Matrix film. You don't see it because it looks good, you see it because, well, you saw the first two, so why not now that it's ended?

(And I find it greatly humorous that, after joining these forums to defend Halo 3 to the death against everyone claiming "it sucks", here I am saying so much more is better this year).

Lance Icarus

Oct 12, 2007
ccesarano said:
xbeaker said:
Honestly, unless all the gaming sites out there are really that shitty/stupid, I don't see Halo 3 getting game of the year at all. I mean, when Bioshock came out everyone was vaunting that as the potential winning game. Don't know if that will hold true with Assassin's Creed coming this week and Call of Duty kicking some major ass, not to mention the perfection of the Orange Box and even the simple, sweet fun of Mario Galaxy. However, Halo 3 is one of those things that you get to finish the trilogy. Like the third Matrix film. You don't see it because it looks good, you see it because, well, you saw the first two, so why not now that it's ended?

(And I find it greatly humorous that, after joining these forums to defend Halo 3 to the death against everyone claiming "it sucks", here I am saying so much more is better this year).
It can go two ways. One, the race will be so tight that they'll simply look at sales data to find their awards. I guarantee right here and now that the Spike Gaming Awards are all going to Halo 3. All of them. I'm including handheld of the year here.

The other way is that it'll become rather "hip" to say that Halo 3 isn't that good, just like it's cool not to like the third of anything. There'll be a cry of "They're older stuff was better" and we'll see COD4 sweeping all the gamer site awards.

So to summarize, Halo 3 wins the Spike Awards, COD4 wins the gaming site awards. My predictions are made!

GeeDave

Oct 10, 2007
Surely this isn't news? This is just marketing? The timing of a release that allows a particular game to be compared with that of an already released, and massively popular game?

I mean if any game can credibly use Halo's popularity to slingshot them a couple of extra zero's on a cheque, it'd be CoD4, certainly... but I fail to be interested in its apparant truth.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Lance Icarus said:
So to summarize, Halo 3 wins the Spike Awards, COD4 wins the gaming site awards. My predictions are made!
Yeah, but I don't know a single serious, self-respecting gamer to actually watch the Spike TV Awards. :p