Metroid: Other M Dated for Late June

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Metroid: Other M Dated for Late June

The new Mario has a release date, but what about Nintendo's Other M?

Earlier today, we learned that Metroid: Other M [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Galaxy-2-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSA388/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279307743&sr=1-1] will be hitting America a month later on June 27th.

Developed by Tecmo's noted Team Ninja (that is, noted for brilliantly brutal action games and brilliantly bouncy & boobtacular leading ladies), Metroid: Other M has been kept under very tight wraps for most of its development other than a short debut trailer at E3 '09. More information should be forthcoming today after people get hands-on looks at the Media Summit, but we do know a bit about what we'll be getting come June.

The game is mainly a third-person side-scroller action game controlled by holding the Wii Remote sideways, but the player will have the option to jump into the first person and control it with the pointer a la Metroid Prime. So, basically it sounds like a hybrid between the old-school and the new-school for the series, which is hardly a bad thing.

Look for more Metroid: Other M info out of today's Nintendo Media Summit and next month's GDC '10.

Between Galaxy 2, Other M and the new Zelda, it's shaping up to be a fairly good year for first-party Wii titles.

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/24/metroid-other-m-screens-the-other-m-is-for-mmmmm/])

Dec 14, 2009
DO WANT! Looks like this will be a great year for my Wii, having only Okami, SSBB and No More Heroes played on it in the past 2 years.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm a HUGE Metroid fan but this game is has been worrying me since it was announced. It's made by Team Ninja, and they're not known for good level design, visuals, or subtle gameplay. They're more known for very difficult hack and slash games with big tits being rescued by a man in leather tights. Metroid is about subtle details and exploring while fighting off fierce wildlife and alternatively space pirates.

Considering this is team Ninja I half expect her to rip off her armor revealing DDs in a bikini leaving her armored boots and gun, only to get tied up and yanked away only for Ryu Hyabusa to come by and save her. (since no woman has ever had any decent roll in their games)

And the game just ...doesn't look pretty at all

They redesigned her suit and it just looks poorly designed and rendered.

Retro Studios take on Samus in 2002:

8 years old and the game looks better than the game coming out for a new console.

While I'm not saying the game is bad, I'm saying my hopes aren't getting up because while Ninja Gaiden was a fun and difficult hack and slash game, Metroid is supposed to be exploring and killing giant purple pterodactyls which I'm not sure Team Ninja can pull off. But by all means I hope they prove me wrong and I'm just being paranoid for nothing, another awesome Metroid game wouldn't hurt to have, and I did like Ninja Gaiden for all the rage moments it gave me so, here's hoping.

METC

Mar 21, 2009
Just so long as Team Ninja doesn't make Samus a "boobtacular" leading lady and more of an endearing character than she already was, I am so in! Now I just need the money...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Yeah, seems Wii is up and coming this year. Might have to take the dust from it and see what happens!

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
This is one of few titles I'm looking forward to... in fact, the only title. Zelda is a series I've always disliked, so it can piss off. Mario is just the same thing over and over again with nothing truly innovative about it. Fun, but lacking anything new.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
yay! finally the back story for metroid fusion! right...?
when i saw the preview i heard the guy go "lady" and i was like YES!!!!!!!

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Snotnarok said:
Edit: My mistake, i didn't look at the pic close enough.
Yea it is redesigned and i do agree it could be prettier.
OT: I want it soooooo bad.
I actually like the art style, its kinda reminiscent of Super Metroid, and the Samus they have shown so far is exactly as i would of imaged her when she was first starting out as a bounty hunter.
Extremely acrobatic, kinda Angry, and Brutal....very brutal.

Plus, its going to show Adam.
"Any objections Lady" Adam.
Im excited.

CriticalGriffin

Jan 18, 2010
Snotnarok said:

8 years old and the game looks better than the game coming out for a new console.
If you're making a comparison, make sure the one that is suppose to look better actually looks better than the one that is suppose to look worse(I.E. Get a better screenshot). Though, I do see your point, and I do agree.

Still, about the game...

Blah blah blah awesome blah blah blah can't wait for summer blah blah Wii game of the year blah blah graphics kinda lame blah blah a must buy blah blah hope for the best and fear the worst blah blah bacon sandwich blah.
Yeah, we all know the drill; I am getting this game.

SilverUchiha said:
Mario is just the same thing over and over again with nothing truly innovative about it.
Hello there, Mr. Totally Not Taking These Opinions From Yahtzee When He Is Being Exaggerating And Sarcastic.
We are so proud of you.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
CriticalGriffin said:
Snotnarok said:

If you're making a comparison, make sure the one that is suppose to look better actually looks better than the one that is suppose to look worse(I.E. Get a better screenshot). Though, I do see your point, and I do agree.

Still, about the game...

Blah blah blah awesome blah blah blah can't wait for summer blah blah Wii game of the year blah blah graphics kinda lame blah blah a must buy blah blah hope for the best and fear the worst blah blah bacon sandwich blah.

SilverUchiha said:
Mario is just the same thing over and over again with nothing truly innovative about it. Fun, but lacking anything new.
Hello there, Mr. Totally Not Taking These Misinterpreted Opinions From Yahtzee When He Is Being Exaggerating And Sarcastic.
We are so proud of you.
I would except Metroid Prime is a FPS game so getting a 3rd person shot, iiiissss a bit difficult. I'd be better off posting a video and say Retro Studio did it better, but then I'd be attacked by Ninja Gaiden on my shelf and dood that game is scary hard.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
SMG 2 will be hitting stores just in time for kids to get out of school and bug their parents about it.

Metroid will be coming out when the parents are tired of Mario and want to see things being shot.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I THOUGHT the preview videos for The Other M looked a little "complete." I guess they've been working on this in secret for awhile. Still, looks like it'll be fun! Here's hoping they grab Jennifer Hale for Samus's voice like they should!

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
CriticalGriffin said:
Snotnarok said:

Still, about the game...

SilverUchiha said:
Mario is just the same thing over and over again with nothing truly innovative about it.
Hello there, Mr. Totally Not Taking These Opinions From Yahtzee When He Is Being Exaggerating And Sarcastic.
We are so proud of you.
Um... thought that for years. In fact, didn't even care for Super Mario 64 or Galaxy all that much. I preferred the old 2D games from the NES days. So saying I'm just parroting Yahtzee is off-target there.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
......mmmmm I am going to miss the first person perspective...though all in all I wish more games did both 3rd P and FP mechanics in the same game, OW:SW was awesome!

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Call me incorrect, but the cutscenes I saw from the trailer look like they were ripped straight from a Final Fantasy game and that is not a good thing. Keep your shitty one dimensional out of my Metroid Team Ninja.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Singularly Datarific said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I just bought Super Metroid today. Now I want this even more...WOOT!
The SNES cartidge?!?
Where the hell did you manage to find one?!?

OP: WOOOOOO! Another Metroid!!
No...The 800 Wii point one on the Virtual Console.

Jan 29, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Singularly Datarific said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I just bought Super Metroid today. Now I want this even more...WOOT!
The SNES cartidge?!?
Where the hell did you manage to find one?!?

OP: WOOOOOO! Another Metroid!!
No...The 800 Wii point one on the Virtual Console.
Stupid me, I forgot, that was where I got a copy as well...