New Sites Helps Parents Make Kid-Appropriate Gaming Choices

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
New Sites Helps Parents Make Kid-Appropriate Gaming Choices

Industry veterans John Davison and Ira Becker have joined to create What They Play [http://www.whattheyplay.com/], a site dedicated to helping parents learn about the videogames their kids want them to buy.

Davison, a former editor at BioShock [http://egm.1up.com/], the site "unflinchingly" describes a scene in which players can either save a possessed little girl or "'harvest' her for more points, leaving her dead."

"We wanted to provide a place where parents can turn to for neutral, objective information on the games their kids might want to play," Davison said. "We really believe that it's the parents that should be controlling this stuff, and the best way to do that is to tell them the fact so they can make the call."

Davison also said that editorial content will be kept "neutral and descriptive" because of different sensibilities among children - what is fun and exciting for one might be scary for another. The site currently has seven writers, and users are encouraged to submit their own reviews to provide a broader range of opinions for parents seeking information on various games. Plans for sites offering similar information to parents about movies, music and books are also in the works.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I just took a look through the site, and it seems to have quite a wealth of information for parents. Nice going. Now parents have one less excuse not to research games first.

Kronopticon

Nov 7, 2007
unfortunately, a lot of parents dont spend a lot of time on the internet, so its a long shot really, although, it would be a good idea for children with parents who are so skeptical about games, that they wont buy any unless the rating is "PG", or even the dreaded, "U", although, i think "U" only applies to films, i think for games, its "3+", either way, kids should encourage parents to see this, so that parents get more involved in their gaming.