Social Gamers Older in the US Than in the UK

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Social Gamers Older in the US Than in the UK

Gaming over social networks like Facebook and MySpace has grown in recent years, and among US residents, it's especially grown among older gamers.

A recent study by PopCap looking at social network sites found 24 percent of the members use them to play games. PopCap estimates about 100 million players are active on social networks, in the US, these players are predominantly over the age of 40, and in the UK, players are predominantly between the ages of 30 and 40.

Social games were less popular among the youth, with casual gamers under 21 ranking at just 9 percent in the UK and 4 percent in the US respectively. UK gamers in their 20's are significantly more likely to play social games than US gamers, with 22 percent of UK social gamers being in their twenties, twice the amount of US gamers in the same age group. The study also indicated that more women are playing social games than men, with 58 percent of the respondents in the UK and 54 percent in the US being female.

Comparisons aside, what does this say? More female and older gamers are being attracted to the simpler social network-based games, though in the UK the ages are lower, possibly reflecting less acceptance of the new technology among older generations. Overall, this is not particularly surprising, given that the mainstream focus tends to be geared towards men in their early twenties with popular titles like Assassin's Creed and God of War. Looking at these numbers, it seems there are plenty of people willing to game, but they tend to gravitate towards games that cater more to their tastes. Not too surprising, all things considered.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27429/Study_US_Social_Gamers_Older_Than_UK_Counterparts.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29]

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
oh I'm sorry whats that typical American kids on games oh READ THIS AND FREAKING WEEP

CAUSE IM CRYING LIKE CRAZY
because this means that more old people play games which means that there is going to be more selling of the wii

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
ninjajoeman said:
oh I'm sorry whats that typical American kids on games oh READ THIS AND FREAKING WEEP

because this means that more old people play games which means that there is going to be more selling of the wii
Yeah, because the selling of Wii's is going to directly affect you. I see your logic.

OT: Given that the amount of older people in the US getting more involved in Facebook and Myspace, etc. is increasing, and some of them enjoy puzzles and stuff, playing casual games on this isn't particularly surprising to me.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
Radeonx said:
ninjajoeman said:

Yeah, because the selling of Wii's is going to directly affect you. I see your logic.

OT: Given that the amount of older people in the US getting more involved in Facebook and Myspace, etc. is increasing, and some of them enjoy puzzles and stuff, playing casual games on this isn't particularly surprising to me.
You tell me that a old lady who thinks she knows more about gaming because she owns a wii does not affect you.

don't turn your back on the growing fire friend!

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
ninjajoeman said:
You tell me that a old lady who thinks she knows more about gaming because she owns a wii does not affect you.
Well, alright.

It's a hobby bro. Somehow I don't think the little old lady down the street rockin' the Wii Bowling is going to impact me in the slightest.

What will impact me is the industry being too late to the party with motion controls.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Freakout456 said:
Wait so you mean all these gamers are over 30....

lol, nice.

Dosnt surprise me though, gameres are growing older, and, its just natural we will start fitting into nw demographics eventually

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
If I heard my mum yell out "yeah I pwned that" getting 100k on bejeweled blitz I think I'd have to kill myself

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Well, Facebook's a good time waster when you feel like passing time. I wonder if there's a Facebook version of Plants Vs. Zombies...

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Erm... this is news?

Jesus, i had no idea the word 'news' got re-defined to 'shit everyone knew 3 years ago'...

Fniff

Apr 15, 2009
Irony!

Hey, Jack Thompson, you didn't even check the graphs? There are more adults then children playing games!

Well, that was our get out of jail free card (Or stop the old men ranting free care).

Dec 14, 2009
ninjajoeman said:
Radeonx said:
ninjajoeman said:

You just sound like a fanboy to me. One of the 'harcore' whose hobby is threatened. Don't be selfish, old people need to frag people too. My grandfather plays games, does he think he's better than me? Hell no, he asks for my help every other day.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I know and knew plenty of people over 40 who play(ed) video games, my dad being one of them. He loved playing Command and Conquer and Halo on his computer, and he was 65 when he died in 2006. Another friend of mine has kids in high school and the military, and I know he spends time every day playing on his kids' 360 while they are at school. Me? I'm hitting 31 in less than two weeks, and I've been playing video games since I was about four (back on the Atari 2600). I have a good number of actual friends on FB that play the games on there (not just FarmVille, either), and we are all at least 30 years old respectively. Heck, I've even played games on FB with my friend's parents, who obviously would be over 40.
With the simplistic controls of social networking games, it comes as no surprise that many folks of a more mature crowd would be drawn towards such games. No confusing button combos to remember, no tricky manipulations, and often simple stories that give just enough reason to get someone interested in a game like that. Besides, how many people play those games at work on their lunch breaks anyway? I'm doubting it is a lot of 18 year olds since they are busy calling friends on their breaks to make plans after work.
I'm glad people older than myself enjoy video games and can give more in-depth feedback about a game other than some 12 year old complaining that the game just sucks without giving any reasons behind the statement.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
ninjajoeman said:
Radeonx said:
ninjajoeman said:

You just sound like a fanboy to me. One of the 'harcore' whose hobby is threatened. Don't be selfish, old people need to frag people too. My grandfather plays games, does he think he's better than me? Hell no, he asks for my help every other day.
No I just hate how people that play one game think they know everything about that genre and stuff

Dec 14, 2009
ninjajoeman said:
Daystar Clarion said:
ninjajoeman said:
Radeonx said:
ninjajoeman said:

No I just hate how people that play one game think they know everything about that genre and stuff
Newflash, you get people like that everywhere, I had a flatmate who thought she knew more about law than me. I'm a 3rd year university law student. Some people are just douche bags, don't assume everyone will act the same way.