Batman Comic Sells for Over a Million Bucks

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Batman Comic Sells for Over a Million Bucks

A comic collector has paid a tidy sum to get his hands on a copy of the first appearance of Batman.

An issue of Detective Comics #27 has sold to an anonymous collector at auction for $1,075,000. The comic, which originally went on sale in May of 1939 contains the very first appearance of Bob Kane and Bill Finger's Batman, and has broken the record for comic books sales, set by the million dollar auction of Action Comics #1 - which contains the first appearance of Superman - earlier this week.

The record for comic books sales before the pair of million dollar sales had stood at $317,000 for another copy of Action Comics #1. The value of the sale comes as something of a surprise, even after the Action Comics sale, as the comic had only been valued at around $100,000, although advance bidding had reached $400,000 by the time the auction started.

Does this finally prove once and for all that Batman is better than Superman? Probably not, but it does prove that some comic book fans have very deep pockets indeed.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5480547/batman-breaks-supermans-sales-record]

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Wow, that is a lot of dates that never happened. I did spit out a bit of coffee comparing the orginal price to what it sold for..... also, I smell cheesy 60's robin quotes coming.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
I often wonder, where do these people get the money to buy all these collect-ables?.

geekcj

Mar 26, 2009
Yes batman is better than superman....he actually carries kryptonite in his utility belt just incase...amongst other super hero weaknesses of course...can never be too careful

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Well he is the goddamn Batman.

Digikid said:
A fool and his money are soon parted.
Not foolish if this guy can sell it on for more. It could be seen as an investment, rather than a luxury purchase.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Pyromaniac1337 said:
Digikid said:
There is a saying.

Because buying the fucking first appearance of BATMAN is totally foolish right guys?

God you people make me sick sometimes. NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME AS YOU, AND NOT ALL OF THEM ARE COMPLETE MORONS.

DrunkWithPower said:
Wow, that is a lot of dates that never happened.
Or, y'know, he happens to have a pretty successful business going. Or is Bill Gates no longer married nerd billionaire (with a damn hot wife I might add)?
No one was making any inflammatory comments until you made them into such. Please learn to detect sarcasm.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4566319.stm.
"Autistic children can have problems interpreting sarcasm as well as other social cues such as emotions.

If someone has a problem understanding a social situation, he or she may fail to understand the literal language
Researcher Dr Simone Shamay-Tsoory

This same skill is sometimes lost in people with brain damage, suggesting similar brain regions may be involved in autism.

Brain scan studies of autistic children have shown that they have different activity in the frontal lobe to other children. "

But anyways. I can't believe that it actually sold for 10 times the estimated amount. I still have to wonder what one would do with a million dollar comic book.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Pyromaniac1337 said:
DrunkWithPower said:
Or, y'know, he happens to have a pretty successful business going. Or is Bill Gates no longer married nerd billionaire (with a damn hot wife I might add)?
It's possible I guess, but the underlying message behind the comicbook collector stereotype is that there is a lot of things $1,075,000 could have gone to. But, in the end, if you're an avid enough fan, the money has been spent well.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
Geez... I'm gonna hang on to some of the useless crap I've got, maybe I can sell it for a bundle in the future (I'm not saying that Batman is crap, just in case you thought that)

zauxz

Mar 8, 2009
Amnestic said:
Well he is the goddamn Batman.

Digikid said:
Not foolish if this guy can sell it on for more. It could be seen as an investment, rather than a luxury purchase.
But then again, who will he sell it to? Eather another invester, or an idiot.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
DrunkWithPower said:
Wow, that is a lot of dates that never happened. I did spit out a bit of coffee comparing the orginal price to what it sold for..... also, I smell cheesy 60's robin quotes coming.
Actually I'm surprised it didn't sell for more.

Consider your dealing with a pop culture icon who has endured for many, many years in one form or another, along with an object which only a very limited number exist of. A million dollars also isn't what it used to be. While silly to regular people, and guys like me who currently exist on social security, today you need billions to be what millionaires were a decade or two ago.

Also just because people are rich, does not mean that they do not like the same things that regular people do. All of that fantasy and pop culture stuff, as well as things like Batman is going to appeal to rich nerds as well as normal ones. Not to mention that Batman is mainstream enough where you don't have to be a huge nerd.

I would have expected this to have attracted some ridiculously rich people, and seen multi-million dollar bids. Same for Superman to be honest.

Also, it should be noteworthy that given that it's a rare super-collectible this now increased it's intristic value. I can almost guarantee he wouldn't have any problem moving that for more than he paid if he decided to sell it.

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
Pyromaniac1337 said:
Digikid said:
There is a saying.

Because buying the fucking first appearance of BATMAN is totally foolish right guys?

God you people make me sick sometimes. NOT EVERYONE IS THE SAME AS YOU, AND NOT ALL OF THEM ARE COMPLETE MORONS.

DrunkWithPower said:
I see it as "one million dollars being spent on several sheets of paper that could have been better spent elsewhere". A million bucks to charity would have had a better effect, no?