Body-Popping no Problem for Natal

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Body-Popping no Problem for Natal

We know that Natal is sensitive, but you might not have realised exactly how sensitive it is.

[vimeo=9748050]

There's been a lot of talk about Natal, but it's only now that we're getting to see people actually using it, and its sensitivity is actually quite impressive. In the video, it's able to keep up with the guy dancing, in pretty low light. It's even able to follow him when he goes down on one hand, although it would appear that it does cause the software a little trouble figuring out exactly what he's done.

It's quite exciting though, to see how capable the hardware actually is, and while I wouldn't necessarily want to play an action game with it, something that features investigation like Silent Hill, or the forensics elements from the Condemned games, or a properly made Natal RPGs could be amazing.

Source: Gizmodo [http://gizmodo.com/5481957/breakdancing-moves-no-match-for-project-natals-sensors]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I'll just wait for "So you think you can dance?" coming soon to PS3 and 360.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Now I will admit, that looks pretty ool....I wouldn't want to waste money on buying it, but it looks really cool.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I'll consider getting one when there are a handful of titles for it that aren't minigame cash-ins. I'm not against the idea altogether, I'm against the people who will be designing for it.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
That video is of such terrible quality that I can't actually tell whether it's working really well or really badly.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Always gonna be a gimmick in my mind. As my friend put it, he wants to relax while gaming, which for him includes beer and chips and most importantly sitting

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
WOOOO MINIGAMES!!! WOOO!!!

(after 15 minutes)

...Okay, so, can this play anything fun?

Apr 28, 2008
As I've said before on my feelings about Natal. It looks really cool and could be great. But I'm really scared that it will be added "just for the sake of it".

Couldn't really tell what was happening in the video though.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
SteelStallion said:
NATAL itself isn't what's important, rather the technological development behind it. As a console peripheral I agree it's just a gimmick. But think about it, it's a great step forward for motion capture in video games. This is just the beginning, it could evolve into something much more awesome in the future.

I won't buy NATAL, but I like what it's doing and I hope to see this technology expanded on in the future.
THIS, think about how insanely expensive and hard the motion capture process is.

Now realize that was able to do motion capture in real timeon a supposedly couple hundred dollar platform?

It's nothing less than incredible. Though obviously it'll only have limited use for video games.

gim73

Jul 17, 2008
Properly made natal rpg? Hope you are talking about the explosive type that takes out helicopters, because actual rpgs don't need silly gimmick controls. Silly gimmick controls just lead to a bunch of pointless mini-games. That, in turn, leads to more breath of fire games coming out.

Rehtul

Apr 15, 2009
Seems that used in conjunction with the 360 controller, you could make some fairly interesting RTS-types or Puzzle-types, but by itself, mini-games are the only outcome...

It did mention something about "scanning" in real-world objects to interact with in the game. Maybe that will bring better titles to the platform which is, honestly, starting to stagnate.

Yeah, I'll be getting this Natal for sure, breathe some life into the console.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
SteelStallion said:
NATAL itself isn't what's important, rather the technological development behind it. As a console peripheral I agree it's just a gimmick. But think about it, it's a great step forward for motion capture in video games. This is just the beginning, it could evolve into something much more awesome in the future.

I won't buy NATAL, but I like what it's doing and I hope to see this technology expanded on in the future.
if it means having your own face scans in mmo's rpg's and the like so you become the protagonist then.. iam up for it. always wanted to see myself in one of these heroic end cut-scenes in war games an such

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
vivaldiscool said:
SteelStallion said:

THIS, think about how insanely expensive and hard the motion capture process is.

Now realize that was able to do motion capture in real timeon a supposedly couple hundred dollar platform?

It's nothing less than incredible. Though obviously it'll only have limited use for video games.
Actually, it's got limitless potential. It all depends on the creative minds that have the job of working it into games. So you know it would challenge game developers to be creative as they can use every part of a person to control a game. Its surprising the amount of negativity that can be found when as a community gamers tend to ***** about game developers being uncreative. Then, poof, a tool which has a whole area of creativity to be explored and played with comes along and what do we do? "Aww man what a gimmick i bet it'll suck." Seriously maybe once we should be thinking, this may bring along new innovations in gaming that may revolutionize gaming. Sure we can be skeptical but decrying it before it comes out and not looking at the potential is really starting to frustrate me. (Especially when this video shows how well it's been developed.)

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
SteelStallion said:

Yeah, but it's just a more advanced eye-toy.

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I'll eventually get it.

Depending upon price, maybe not long after launch.