PS3 Outsells Wii in Japan

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
PS3 Outsells Wii in Japan

Reflecting an earlier report of stronger PlayStation 3 sales amid a price cut and Wii scarcity, Sony's console has outsold Nintendo's for the week ending November 11, MediaCreate reported.

The PlayStation 3 sold 38 percent more unit, as it more than tripled its sales from the previous week, selling 58,964 units.

At the same time, the Wii saw a 10 percent drop. That the sales fall came amid the release of the highly acclaimed Super Mario Galaxy suggests scarcity is taking its toll on Wii numbers.

Meanwhile, the PlayStation 2 console is continuing its slow decline, and the Xbox 360 is falling back to normal sales levels for the Japanese market - last place - after a spike related to the release of Ace Combat 6.

The full list of hardware figures follows below:

1. Nintendo DS: 78,884
2. PlayStation Portable: 58,964
3. PlayStation 3: 55,924
4. Nintendo Wii: 34,456
5. PlayStation 2: 9,043
6. Xbox 360: 5,817

Source: Gamesindustry.biz []

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
WEll thats interesting and...woah, Ace Combat Six is out?

Nah, thats pretty interesting. I'm not suprised that the DS is the top seller. Heck, I have one. I never play it, but I have one. I'm suprised that the ps2 is still selling, but I guess it can't be beat for an awsome console for cheap. That thing certainly had a shelf life when it comes to still selling games.