Activision Kills Long-Awaited King's Quest Fan Project

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Kills Long-Awaited King's Quest Fan Project

Activision [http://www.activision.com] has brought the hammer down on a long-running King's Quest fan project called The Silver Lining, issuing a Cease and Desist order and demanding that all materials related to the game be taken offline.

The Silver Lining project began in earnest in 2002 as a fan-based effort to create a new game in the King's Quest: Mask of Eternity [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Quest], in 1998. The team had received a similar letter from IP owner Vivendi Universal in 2005 but was able to work out a "non-commercial fan license" that let it continue developing the game.

But the merger [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/79490-Vivendi-and-Activision-Merge-in-18-9-Billion-Deal] between Activision and Vivendi left all Sierra properties in the hands of Activision and it doesn't appear to be quite as willing to play ball. Despite negotiations that have been ongoing for the past few months, Activision has decided not to allow The Silver Lining team to continue work on the project, and has issued a new C&D letter demanding a halt to production and the removal of all related content from the internet.

"We must and will comply with this decision, as much as we may wish we could do otherwise," the developers wrote on in a farewell message posted on The Silver Lining [http://www.tsl-game.com/] website. "Sadly, after eight years of dedicated work and even more dedicated fans, The Silver Lining project is closing down."

Eight years is a lot of time to sink into a game, even for a fan project, but this one was particularly ambitious. The site claims The Silver Lining was being reworked for episodic release, five in all, with the first scheduled to come out in the spring of this year. After that much time and effort, the reaction to the decision has been predictably strong, with many calls for petitions and email campaigns. The development team doesn't appear to hold out much hope that Activision will change its mind, however.

The C&D order from Activision demanded the removal of nearly all of The Silver Lining forums along with everything else, so the team set up a new forum in order to spread the word and discuss the future. To find out more about the demise of the game and the future plans of the team responsible for it, you can catch up on the most recent events at tsl-game.com/forum [http://www.tsl-game.com/forum/index.php].

Jan 23, 2009
Grrr.. evul corporations at work.

But really the last time this happened was when that halo rts mod was under work, and the c&d order went out, shortly afterward was the announcement that Halo Wars was coming...

go figure.

Although I by no means agree, Valve released L4D and at the same time increased their support for the source mod "zombie panic."

Apr 28, 2008
Whats with publishers shutting down fan projects, who's makers have put a good chunk of their lives into it, right before release?

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Weren't copyright laws supposed to make things more fair and to give artists a chance to make money? It was an alright goal, but with the soulless corporations (damned cliche, I know...) abusing the system like this, I think it's safe to say that it has failed. We need something new. I don't know what. I don't really care, either. Just, something else. Something where crap like this won't happen.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
And to think I was just starting to like Activision again...

Why destroy fan-projects? WHY?! Nothing is gained except evilness!

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
So this of course would mean that Activision is putting out a new King's Quest game? Because otherwise if they have no intention of revisiting that property but still alienate the fans with a C&D order that would make them royal assholes of the lowest and dirtiest kind.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
Hopefully they will change the name of the game a little and any text that would need to be changed and still release the game. as long as it is not using any sierra code or anything then they should be ok.

This is why I will never buy another activision game. They have just become to evil and do not deserve my money. Too bad too because that also means no blizzard games and diablo and starcraft look really good.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
What the fuck guys? Seriously?

You waste 8 years of their lives, for something that probably wouldn't even make a dime.

This is just beyond idiotic, this is god damn Blasphemy.

I'm a freaken ashamed activision, this is low.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
Activision said:
We demand that you stop production on a non-profit fan-based game, because we purchased the artistic integrity of that title fair and square.
Right, here we have example of a company that is trying to make sure someone doesn't get recognition for something that they initially had nothing to do with, or ever plan to touch again.

I could understand if they had another King's Quest game on the horizon and this fan game was ripping off it or de-canonizing it... but seriously... do you really think that's the case?

I'm going to write a Cease and Desist letter to Activision demanding that they Cease and Desist being @#$!bags.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Nice, fucking beautiful.
Are those guys trying to be assholes? This is an inhumane level of cruelty.
Thanks, guys, really makes me want to buy your stuff.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Quad08 said:
Why destroy fan-projects? WHY?! Nothing is gained except evilness!
There is no point. I really really doubt they want to do anything with King's Quest series. This is just Card-Carrying Villainy, commiting evil for the sake of evil. Some people tell such thing as "evil for the sake of evil" does not exist - but life proves otherwise.

This just reassures me to never ever ever again buy anything Activision.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Irridium said:
Whats with publishers shutting down fan projects, who's makers have put a good chunk of their lives into it, right before release?
Because most of these kind of projects going belly up on their own. So rather than get loads of bad press for each and every one, they simply let nature run it's coarse and come down on the ones getting close to a release. This is why we almost always hear about Cease and Desist at the last moment.

TheCheesy4

He thinks he's people.
Nov 21, 2008
Wankers, the lot of them.

Journeythroughhell said:
Nice, fucking beautiful.
Are those guys trying to be assholes? This is an inhumane level of cruelty.
Thanks, guys, really makes me want to buy your stuff.
Isn't your avatar a tad ironic?

Apr 28, 2008
Slycne said:
Irridium said:
Because most of these kind of projects going belly up on their own. So rather than get loads of bad press for each and every one, they simply let nature run it's coarse and come down on the ones getting close to a release. This is why we almost always hear about Cease and Desist at the last moment.
Well I guess that makes sense.

Doesn't make it any less of a dick move though.

SachielOne

Former Escapecraft Op
Aug 10, 2009
New solution for modders/people in this situation: reach 75% project completion, then go dark. Drop off the face of the planet. Then, come back only when the project has been released. At that point, it is too late to hit them with a cease and desist order.