Report: Effects of Gaming Worse Than "Smoking on Lung Cancer"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Report: Effects of Gaming Worse Than "Smoking on Lung Cancer"

An Australian news report claims that the connection between videogames and violence is "greater than the connection between smoking and lung cancer."

The public consultation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96839-Australian-Government-Seeks-Public-Input-Into-R18-Game-Ratings] about an R18+ videogame rating for Australia is now over, but clearly that doesn't mean that reasoned and rational debate over the topic can't continue in other forums. Such as on Ten News, for instance, which aired a report last night claiming, "The explosion in youth crimes in inextricably linked to violent videogames."

Yes, inextricably: Apparently, while we weren't paying attention - probably playing videogames or something - science went ahead and proved that games do in fact cause violent behavior in children. And it's a very dramatic effect indeed: According to Dr. Wayne Warburton of the Australian So what? [http://www.youngmedia.org.au/]"

Still, at least Warburton was willing to go on record; in fact, while the report refers to numerous "studies," "experts" and "psychologists," he's the only source who was actually cited. "Experts say the gaming industry has much to account for," the report claims in one such anonymous, near-hysterical and woefully misinformed statement. "In Modern Warfare: Call of Duty 2 [http://modernwarfare2.infinityward.com/] (sic), the highest selling media product of all time, gamers plot terror attacks against civilians."

"Psychologists say regular exposure to games like these actually rewires a child's brain, making them more amenable to violence," the report adds. "Such is the level of concern now, the world's leading researchers have been summoned to Sydney for a conference later this month."

Who these psychologists and researchers are, what studies they've conducted or which conference they're being "summoned to," as if Australia's Imperial Mage clapped his hands and sent forth his drakes to call the wizards of the council to his dark tower, is never mentioned. It's an astonishingly concentrated dose of misinformation, sensationalism and hilarity; at least, it would be hilarious if it wasn't also just about guaranteed to make a big impact on at least some of the parents and R18+ naysayers in Australia. The public consultation may be over but the fight for a proper game rating system, I think, is far from finished.

Source: Gamers Underground [http://gamers-underground.com/content/387-gaming-causes-more-harm-than-smoking.html]

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Are we basing this off the data that smoking isn't connected to lung cancer because tobacco inhibits the destruction of cancer cells, but isn't actually carcinogenic itself?

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
This isn't surprising in the least. It's almost admirable, in a sick way, just how determined these technophobic old farts are to continue beating their heads against the wall.

Edit: Sorry, bit of an afterthought here, but just to nit-pick. Since when does playing through a level count as 'plotting' a terror attack on civilians? Was there a section where you actively plan out the attack and hand-off orders to your Russian comrades? If so, went completely over my head.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Yeah guys Video Gaming is the new Cancer.

I love sensationalist writing.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems like all of Australia media outlets are in Atkinsons pocket...

...well, at least less likely to die of gaming than cancer!!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Try telling that to all of those who have lost people to lung cancer.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Well, if people spend too much time playing video games, and don't get any exercise outside of lifting the cheetos and mountain dew to their mouths and the panicky thumb twitching, I believe it.

Otherwise, it's just another example of a study trying to prove a pre-determined outcome.

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
These fucking retards in the media are determined to make me join a terrorist cell aren't they?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Oh no... this is just what the video game industry needs now, isn't it?

Ugh, stupidity like this makes me sick -.-... if people are going to be ignorant idiots, then do it somewhere else!

Where we won't be affected!

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
How exactly does one compare an addictive drug's effect on the chances of disease with behaviour which is entirely natural?

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
Proteus214 said:
I smell the wretched stench of agenda-driven research.
Indeed. All this 'research' coming from Australia is like being stuck in a convention hall with researches from both sides of the abortion, climate change, cell-phone-tumor, and smoking debates combined. Christ.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
This is just more of a reason to stop idiots making their views public. I mean come on, anyone with half a brain can quite clearly see there is little to no weight to this report and anyone who takes its arguments as valid needs to go back to school.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
The problem is that this will be the cited evidence of gaming leading to violence from now on. Despite the fact that it makes no references to actual factual sources.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Two researches on games, both negative, from Australia in such short time?