Modern Warfare Lead Dev Leaves Infinity Ward

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Modern Warfare Lead Dev Leaves Infinity Ward

Information from the Activision/Infinity Ward showdown continues to surface, and the second potential casualty is the studio's big boss Vince Zampella himself.

More from Infinity Ward's Kotaku reader [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98761-Rumor-Security-Locks-Down-Infinity-Ward-Ousts-Studio-Head-UPDATE] spotted that IW CEO and Modern Warfare lead Vince Zampella's LinkedIn page lists his involvement with the popular developer as having ended - as of March 2010.

This would likely make Zampella the second of the two senior IW employees mentioned in Activision's SEC filing [http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1047469-10-1649], who have been accused of "breaches of contract and insubordination." Rumor has it - and again, this is only rumor, not fact, so don't preach this like it's gospel - that the two were seeking to negotiate publishing agreements with a publisher that wasn't either Activision or Electronic Arts.

There must have been something serious going down at Infinity Ward yesterday: You don't send bouncers to company premises lightly, especially when said company was the one behind making you your biggest game ever. Activision may be greedy, but the ones calling the shots aren't stupid.

With this, it appears that the two most senior members of Infinity Ward - Zampella and CTO Jason West - are no longer with the company, whether having been terminated or having left of their own volition. What this means for Infinity Ward and the Call of Duty series remains to be seen.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I know what happened...

A group of gamers have taken over the world! Infinity Ward is just the start! Soon, Hollywood will burn for their horrible attempts at video-game films! Then all popular people at school will be killed!

And then, it will all be 1984 again!

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Holy fuck what is going on? And I also hear that Valve is contemplating development for the ps2.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
If the rumours are true they could have almost lost Activision one of their biggest games of the year.

Still seems like one of those 'evil corporation' stories though. This is one of the most interesting game related stories of recent!

Jan 23, 2009
Lets hope this ends like the Westwood incident, with most of the dev leaving and reforming a new studio, with the sponsorship of a less evil developer.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Hubilub said:
I know what happened...

A group of gamers have taken over the world! Infinity Ward is just the start! Soon, Hollywood will burn for their horrible attempts at video-game films! Then all popular people at school will be killed!

*cocks dual samurai edges* Groovy.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
I really have no idea why Activision would do this at all. From an entrepreneurial perspective you would need a REALLY good reason to sack your most valuable employees.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
MrPop said:
If the rumours are true they could have almost lost Activision one of their biggest games of the year.
I hadn't heard about this, could you elaborate?

hansari

May 31, 2009
Mordwyl said:
I really have no idea why Activision would do this at all. From an entrepreneurial perspective you would need a REALLY good reason to sack your most valuable employees.

"Because I CAN."

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
I don't know which scenario is more likely.
"No... NO! Stop it! Stop being so successful!"
or
"Look what I found when I was doing your laundry. It's a beret. You've been seeing that Ubisoft whore again! GET OUT."

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Mordwyl said:
All the people at the executive level have enough money to never work the rest of their lives, and most of them have had it from birth. None of them give a crap about the corporation except as it furthers their personal agenda. Someone decided the lowly developer was getting too big for his britches and had to be smacked down, damn the results to the rest of the company.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Hubilub said:
I know what happened...

Big Brother is watching! Also yeah I suppose this is good news

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I doubt the 2 guys quit if there was a contingent of 'ard looking bouncers sent in, this just gets weirder

hansari

May 31, 2009
John Funk said:
Rumor has it - and again, this is only rumor, not fact, so don't preach this like it's gospel - that the two were seeking to negotiate publishing agreements with a publisher that wasn't either Activision or Electronic Arts.
In Activisions SEC, under "Risk Factors"...

A significant portion of our revenues has historically been derived from products based on a relatively small number of popular franchises and these products are responsible for a disproportionately high percentage of our profits. For example, our top three franchises, Call of Duty, Guitar Hero, and World of Warcraft, accounted for approximately 68% of our net revenues for the year ended December 31, 2009. We expect that a limited number of popular franchises will increasingly produce a disproportionately high percentage of our revenues and profits. Due to this dependence on a limited number of franchises, the failure to achieve anticipated results by one or more products based on these franchises may significantly harm our business and financial results.

Put that in perspective.

One of The Big Three "might" be leaving your Activision. What are you gonna do?

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Anyone find it slightly hilarious that not 2 weeks ago, Kotick was apologizing for being a dick. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98461-Bobby-Kotick-Doesnt-Mean-to-Come-Off-as-a-Dick]

You know Bobby, confessing and repenting are not one and the same.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
hansari said:
Mordwyl said:
"Because I CAN."
Despite what you may think of The Devil Mr. Kotick, he's not stupid. Fucking with the studio which made one of the biggest selling video games without good reason isn't likely. Kotick's evil, but it's unlikely he'd put his money in jeopardy unless he was damage controlling from a potentially worse scenario.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
MurderousToaster said:
Are Activision attempting to hand the whole CoD franchise to Treyarch? That would be weird.
after MW2, i'd say that'd be good.
IW can kiss my matte, furry ass.