Why Super Street Fighter 4 Is $40

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Why Super Street Fighter 4 Is $40

Super Street Fighter IV [http://www.amazon.com/Super-Street-Fighter-IV-Playstation-3/dp/B002TDIEEK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279056624&sr=1-1] is priced less than a full game, but more than a Platinum release - but if you're wondering why (and who barely missed the cut for new characters), Capcom has some answers for you.

$40 is an interesting price for a console game, particularly one in a big-name series like Street Fighter. It might be the standard price for a PC expansion pack, but it's more than Platinum or Greatest Hits releases (and much more than DLC) while being significantly less than the cost of a full game. So why is it the price for Super Street Fighter IV?

"We had two choices, and the economics didn't work out on one... No matter what, we were fracturing the userbase, and we had to start from scratch," Capcom USA's VP of Strategic Planning & Business Development Christian Svensson told Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4291/careful_capcom_christian_.php], pointing back to an earlier Capcom title - Lost Planet Colonies - that did something similar to Super Street Fighter IV. While containing much of the core game of the original, Colonies added more content, and more importantly was treated as an entirely different game by online services. People who bought the new game couldn't play with those who just had the original.

"The problem is that it gets a new title ID, which means no cross-play with the original consumers. And the other part is designing the game around, figuring out who has which package, even if you could do that. So, we knew we had to go from scratch. A Platinum [version] wasn't really an option no matter what we did," said Svensson. But that wasn't the only reason: Frankly, Capcom thinks that there's enough content there to justify a full disc game - and the company will be throwing in something extra to sweeten the pot for Street Fighter IV owners.

"The other part of this is frankly we were putting in so much new content, we thought that a platinum play wasn't the right play anyway. So, going $10 above Platinum/Greatest Hits pricing was sort of a nice compromise. And we haven't announced it, but for those who have purchased and played Street Fighter IV on the system that they play this on, there will be a nifty little special set of things that those people will have the option of enjoying that others won't."

The announcement that Street Fighter III fan favorites Dudley, Ibuki, and Makoto would be joining the roster of SSF4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98464-New-Super-SF4-Trailer-Debuts-SF3s-Dudley-Ibuki-Makoto] was a major turning point in convincing some to buy the update - according to Svensson, Dudley was a no-brainer, and had only just missed the cut for the original Street Fighter IV. "When it came around, Dudley was near the top of the list of who was obviously going to be in the next one. Makoto was sort of the number two in terms of the popularity and 'fan fantasy' list." Presumably, ninja girl Ibuki was next in line, with African martial artist Elena the "next tier down."

Svensson also talked about Capcom's other major fighting game release in early 2010: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. Despite predictions that the title would not perform well in a market that didn't know half the characters, Svensson says that Capcom is "not at all dissatisfied with the sales at this point. We are cautiously optimistic that it's going to have long legs ... [the] Versus series is well served by Tatsunoko as an outing. It really happens bring Versus back as a viable brand for Capcom."

So, Capcom, how about that new Versus game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/97650-Capcom-May-Announce-New-Versus-Title-This-Year], eh? I hear the BlazBlue guys are pretty hot right now. You should fight against them.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Dammit Funk, stop mentioning the possibility of a Capcom vs Arc System Works game or I'll go insane with anticipation and get all depressed when it turns out to be something else.

Dec 14, 2009
I'm really looking forward to this game. 24 quid ain't bad, especially if I trade in the original SF4 towards the price. Juri looks awesome, I don't know about the other characters because the only SF game I played before 4 was Street Fighter 2 on the Mega Drive (Genesis to you yanks).

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Ah, I remember the days when I considered £40 to be very expensive for a game... That makes me feel old.
Same here...same here...

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
I hear Activision are looking for people to make MW good? Capcom vs MW3? How good is a hundred hand slap against an SMG?

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Jaredin said:
PayJ567 said:
Ah, I remember the days when I considered £40 to be very expensive for a game... That makes me feel old.
Same here...same here...
Really? I paid £75 for Super Street Fighter 2 on the mega drive. Then they brought out SSF2 Championship Edition 3 months later for cheaper, with more characters. I consider game to be bargains these days!

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The real reason why Super Street Fighter 4 is $40:

Because, a lot like Madden, it's all glorified DLC, but those money-grubbing jerks ran out of hookers and blow.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Goddarn it Capcom!

Spill the beans on that bonus already!

If its something good, then I'll have to compromise with my brother on PS3 usuage.

Otherwise, I'm switching platform to the 360.

Also, I am very excited about the changes so far. I personally liked Street Fighter 3, and do like a bit of Final Fight/Street Fighter Alpha, so seeing this new characters, is like a wet dream full of nostalgia.

I look forward to the minigames too! :D

Bob_Marley42

Apr 8, 2009
Oh its cool and all and I'm going to buy it, but when oh when will Capcom sort out the IP issues with the EX characters and put Doctrine Dark in a main SF title?

The Great JT said:
The real reason why Super Street Fighter 4 is $40:

Because, a lot like Madden, it's all glorified DLC, but those money-grubbing jerks ran out of hookers and blow.
Meh, thats the way Capcom has always done business when it comes to fighting games. At least this is a pretty big update rather than, say, paying the same price for the SFIV version of SFII Turbo

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
vdeity said:
Still no announcement of a PC release -- the jerks.
My thoughts exactly.
aaronmcc said:
I hear Activision are looking for people to make MW good? Capcom vs MW3? How good is a hundred hand slap against an SMG?
I wonder what Roach's Ultimate would be...

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
So there's a little something extra for people who played Street Fighter IV? I'd be happy, but after that little hard drive wipe, I have trouble becoming enthused.

Also, how is it that Alex doesn't even get a mention? He was pretty much the only new character in Street Fighter III I actually liked. I guess not many others feel the same way.

Anyway, in the event that Hell freezes over and Capcom actually makes another Versus title, I'd rather like to see Shonen Jump Vs. Capcom. So much potential.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
The worst thing about this is how it's going to drive down the level of competition online in Street Fighter IV. People will be buying the new one just so they can have that again. Call of Duty does this at least once a year.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
DustyDrB said:
The worst thing about this is how it's going to drive down the level of competition online in Street Fighter IV. People will be buying the new one just so they can have that again. Call of Duty does this at least once a year.
That might change...

Anyway, SFIV. Could care less. Cap. vs. Tat. - neat idea.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3? Think about it Capcom. It'd blow everything outta the water. ;)

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I have long been considering buying SFIV now I'm sure I'll just wait for the Super version and get that.
Yay Guy!

Rangergord

Jan 13, 2010
Ah man LOL'd Bet you $30 for DLC unlocks, and somehow in Canada it'll be priced at around $65 like everything else (really our dollar is not that bad, and taxes can't eat that much since I can buy a car (or gasoline where I live) for less of a markup than a game or a book (OH GOD books crazy markup). But sadly I will buy, since I did get my money's worth out of IV (unlike 5 ot 6 other games). Just hope they don't punk us with It cost $1.oo per play online crap. I cna't believe we're going back to the arcade model, at home. Hmm maybe real acrades will come back after all.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
I won't be buying it anyways, since i suck at Street Fighter and dislike most of their character design.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
well, it looks like I'm gonna have to borrow my friend's copy and get the console to remember that SF4 was played...