2011 Call of Duty May Still Be Infinity Ward's Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
2011 Call of Duty May Still Be Infinity Ward's Game

In the midst of all the confusion surrounding the Call of Duty clusterf**k, it turns out that Dead Space [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Playstation-3/dp/B000X1TC0U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279056526&sr=1-1] makers Sledgehammer will be making a spin-off, and Infinity Ward is still "central" to the series proper.

There's a ton of confusion and "Oh god, oh god, what's going on?" surrounding what I like to call the Infinity Wardämmerung, and it's understandable given the potential magnitude of what's going on. However, while the Activision press release [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98803-Activision-Confirms-Call-of-Dutys-Move-to-Dead-Space-Devs] led many - including myself - to believe that Sledgehammer would be developing the next Call of Duty in 2011 after Treyarch's Call of Duty 7: Vietnam Funtimes this year, that may not be the case.

G4 has obtained an internal Activision memo [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/702931/Call-Of-Duty-2011-Isnt-Sledgehammers-Action-Adventure-Call-Of-Duty-Game-.html] that states that while there will be a main-series Call of Duty released in 2011, and there will be a Sledgehammer-developed Call of Duty that "[extends] the franchise into the action-adventure genre," the two are not the same game.

This means that there is a third studio on Call of Duty in addition to Treyarch and Sledgehammer, and it could very well be series creators Infinity Ward. Indeed, the memo, which came from Activision Publishing president and CEO Mike Griffith, calls Infinity Ward "central to Call of Duty's future."

"2010 is expected to be another big year for Call of Duty," wrote Griffith in the memo, "with Treyarch developing a new title for fall release, Infinity Ward's downloadable content for Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278694263&sr=1-1] in the works now, and a new Call of Duty title expected to be released in 2011." So far, that's all information we'd already known about the situation - but here's where Griffith indicates that the 2011 CoD and Sledgehammer's CoD are different entities:

"In addition," said Griffith, "Sledgehammer Games is in development on a Call of Duty title in the action-adventure genre. It's an exciting time and it's the right time to ensure the appropriate resources are there to support Call of Duty's growth."

So it seems that Sledgehammer's title is a spin-off of sorts (which makes sense, given that the Sledgehammer folks were best known for action-adventure title Dead Space), whereas the annualized CoD FPS-fest isn't going anywhere. And perhaps neither is Infinity Ward (that is, if the employees there want to stick around). Of course, Activision could always have a completely different third studio in mind for the franchise - I doubt it, but at this rate nothing would surprise me right now.

The whole mess seems to be dying down - I hope. What a week it's been, and it's only Tuesday. If things keep going this way all week, I bet we'll see Hideo Kojima and Peter Molyneux swordfighting on top of a blimp by the end of the day on Friday.

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
John Funk said:
If things keep going this way all week, I bet we'll see Hideo Kojima and Peter Molyneux swordfighting on top of a blimp by the end of the day on Friday.
YES.

Anyway, its still rather confusing until we hear from the studio themselves i guess.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
http://api.ning.com/files/AjO9*vby23g1N6PmdRho98aIqFrdCqGbIX8G35-Xo22Amxm4YShBWVJPAGw8dwhxz8r*JXdUIHlpP15aDPiQ*c4axPPQYX4b/Sarcasm.jpg

Do you know what would be a good Idea? An RTS. I don't think anyone's tried to turn a wildly successful FPS franchise into a strategy game before.

***EDITED FOR THOSE WITHOUT A SARCASM DETECTOR***

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Do you know what would be a good Idea? An RTS. I don't think anyone's tried to turn a wildly successful FPS franchise into a strategy game before.
Halo Wars...?

Or were you being sarcastic?

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
activision, desperate to destroy the possibility of BC2 from being more know to the masses as the superior title, tries to flood the media with dribble.

also, if this is true, i will rage because IW is a failure to me and any real PC gamer.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I hope this is true. I'd rather have IW continue making the main CoD games rather then someone else.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Maybe they'll make a COD MMO :D

'I cast +10 NerdRage at your Akimbo Cheapsticks of Death!'

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
John Funk said:
I bet we'll see Hideo Kojima and Peter Molyneux swordfighting on top of a blimp by the end of the day on Friday.

I hope they mortally wound each other or at least Molyneux gets his tongue cut out.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Something strange is going on in games land.

First the ApocalyPS3 and now the Activision/Infinity Ward monster mash.

This looks like a job for Captain N.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
John Funk said:
If things keep going this way all week, I bet we'll see Hideo Kojima and Peter Molyneux swordfighting on top of a blimp by the end of the day on Friday.
I demand a photoshop feature length motion picture.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Amnestic said:
John Funk said:
Dear god. That'd be the longest and most pretentious motion picture in history. and would involve no swordfighting.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
thenumberthirteen said:
Halo Wars. Fail.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Amnestic said:
John Funk said:
Complete with CGI.

I was just reading the oringial clusterfuckery article Funk wrote... Whoa... Updates much? *Gives Funk a cookie for his efforts*

That's Funny

Jul 20, 2009
Oh god this has become so exhausting that I find it hard to care anymore, like you said Funk this has been one giant clusterfuck.

Triggerhappy938

Dec 10, 2007
John Funk said:
I think they would band together to prevent Uwe Boll from doing a Metal Gear/Fable crossover movie. On a blimp. Being driven by Bobby Kotick, who is behind the whole plot, and who is also trying to crash it into the home of Shiguru Miyamoto, in an attempt to set off the Video Game Crash of 2010.

But that is all just speculation.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
John Funk said:
This week of insanity continues huh? If that what's happening on friday, imagine sunday? Are all gaming characters gonna appear in the real world using advanced portal technology? We can only hope lol.

I want some crazy random game that we thought would never happen to be announced this week. Like "Timeshift 2". Or maybe, Nintendo will announce a game which isn't Mario, Zelda, Pokemon or any of the other franchises that just never die.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Right...judging by the lack of "/sarcasm", I'm going to assume you weren't being sarcastic and are merely attempting to cover up your own idiocy with that quick edit...

I mean let's face it, who honestly believes people can detect sarcasm in a post like you posted without "/sarcasm"?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Chaossebba said:
John Funk said:
YES.

Anyway, its still rather confusing until we hear from the studio themselves i guess.
That would be pretty epic, lol.

Well, at least IW seem to still be in for a job...

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
Amnestic said:
John Funk said:
Dear god. That'd be the longest and most pretentious motion picture in history. and would involve no swordfighting.
Maybe it could be interactive with QTE? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!