Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 7

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 7

Lulzy slaughters bandits for an assortment of trinkets.

Read Full Article

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
not as funny as the previous but still a lot better than most things out there, but i guess lulzy getting back home should resolve in hilarity, so carry on good sir.

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Man, these quests are just getting progressively lamer and lamer. These goddamn NPCs need to get their priorities straight!

Feb 13, 2008
You're lucky you didn't wander across the level 25 Elite Warg that roams that area Shamus. Anyone who's met the Griffin in EQ's East Commonlands will know what I mean.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
and so the ridiculity continues..

at least you make enough fun of it :)

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The Great JT said:
Competent NPCs who give good rewards? Not until you're up to Mines of Moria content, young bard!
lol...an NPC that useful...only ever met one...ONE! XD

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Ugh... who writes for this game? Killing people for a snot-rag?! I mean, I understand the narrative difficulties posed by the MMORPGer structure, but holy crap! And those names !

Still, great writing by Shamus!

SaunaKalja

Sep 18, 2009
I don't know who are crazier: the brigands who steal random worthless items or the people who long after them. I mean a fishing pole? That's basically just a stick, right?

Anyways, good stuff once again.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
SaunaKalja said:
I don't know who are crazier: the brigands who steal random worthless items or the people who long after them. I mean a fishing pole? That's basically just a stick, right?

Anyways, good stuff once again.
What if the guy's family were all fishermen/women for as long as they remember? And this particular fishing pole was a family heirloom?? Oh, the angst!

*cue tragic music*

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
I really must stop drinking (regular fluids) while reading this. It was going pretty well, but that last bit about the bandit's loot really struck me.

Good show.

ucciolord1

Mar 26, 2009
This is so great.
Just hurry up and get to the quests that make sense, LotrO's losing a lot of respect...
On the other hand, don't. It's really difficult to make fun of the perfectly competent parts of a game.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Jaredin said:
The Great JT said:
Competent NPCs who give good rewards? Not until you're up to Mines of Moria content, young bard!
lol...an NPC that useful...only ever met one...ONE! XD
Yeah, Tirion Fordring on line 2, Darion Mograine on line 3, Thrall on line 4, Sylvanas Windrunner on line 5, Jaina Proudmoore on line 6, Varian Wrynn on line 7, Brann Bronzebeard on line 8 and Bolvar Fordragon on line 9.

World of Warcraft NPCs at least show some competency.

i64ever

Aug 26, 2008
Why can't an MMO have quests that make sense? Like not asking you to kill people for worthless piece of trash? Are the writers trying to be funny, incompetant or does nobody who plays MMO's ever read these things?

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
i64ever said:
Why can't an MMO have quests that make sense? Like not asking you to kill people for worthless piece of trash? Are the writers trying to be funny, incompetant or does nobody who plays MMO's ever read these things?
Most people don't read quest text, therefore they don't care why they need to find Maguffin #3 or whatever. I used to read the quest text when I had my trial account, I found that I couldn't stand doing most of the quests because they were so meaningless, so I stopped reading the quest text altogether, and the game immediately became 100% more fun, at least for me.

EDIT: Oh, and Shamus, you win infinity internets with that Blade Runner quote at the end. It made me want to jump for joy when I read it.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
As much as I'm glad Lulzy just gave up on the tree diary quest, I'm a little disappointed that she went ahead with the handerchief one. I mean, there's silly quests, and then there's this. Even with Lulzy's inexplicable attraction to items of clothing, which doesn't even really apply here anyway, exactly what possible motivation could anyone have to do this? I can imagine a real person going through most of these quests, and poking fun at them as they go, but I simply cannot accept the idea of someone fending of hordes of brigandes for the sake of a lost handkerchief, especially when there isn't even any apparent reward for doing so. It's just unjustified.

Otherwise, still hilarious stuff. Keep it coming Shamus!

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
matrix3509 said:
Most people don't read quest text, therefore they don't care why they need to find Maguffin #3 or whatever. I used to read the quest text when I had my trial account, I found that I couldn't stand doing most of the quests because they were so meaningless, so I stopped reading the quest text altogether, and the game immediately became 100% more fun, at least for me.

EDIT: Oh, and Shamus, you win infinity internets with that Blade Runner quote at the end. It made me want to jump for joy when I read it.
I can understand that notion. I mean, seriously, are the writers on crack? I've come up with better stories in my sleep.

Also, Blade Runner quote? Where?