Blind Gamer Defeats Ganon for the First Time

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Blind Gamer Defeats Ganon for the First Time

Thanks to hard work, dedication, and the mapping of just about every move and sound cue in the game, a blind gamer has finally completed Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time [http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Ocarina-Time-Master-Quest/dp/B0009XSMNA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279054296&sr=1-2].

Last July the Escapist <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93541-Blind-Gamer-Tackles-Zelda-Ocarina-of-Time>reported a blind gamer from Ontario, Canada by the name of Jordan Verner was attempting to complete Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. With the help of four gamers from around the world, he has finished this endeavor, thanks to two years of dedication. The gamers ran through the dungeons, recording all the sounds and writing detailed descriptions of the movements they made with Link and the positions of the enemies, which would then be submitted to Verner, whose computer would read it to him.

"When I was younger, a doctor told me I was going to go blind, which turned out not to be so," said Roy Williams, a Camden, South Carolina resident who was involved in the project. "But it scared me and I was like 'I want to be here to help this person get through his disability.'"

With the level of effort and dedication that went in to the process, finally beating the game is a huge achievement. "It felt great, I felt strong, I felt the sky's the limit," Jordan said.

This really shows the drive and dedication of the gamer community, and the power of the gaming experience. Hats off to Jordan, Williams, and the other gamers who contributed to this project, they've done something truly great.

Source: <a href=http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2010/03/03/dnt.blind.gamer.beats.zelda.wis?iref=allsearch>CNN

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Thats fantastic!

Well done to him, Ocarina of Time is great game... though I couldn't possibly even imagine playing it blind! quite a feat indeed :)

xHipaboo420x

Apr 22, 2009
Crikey.

There's been a lot of discussion on The Escapist recently about what marks a person out as a 'hardcore gamer'. I'd like to think it's this kind of dedication to the task at hand (coupled with the immense satisfaction the victory brings) that would make someone just that.

Bravo!

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Way to go fellow Canadian, way to show them that blindness isn't a deterrent to gaming.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Great job to everyone who participated! It might not seem like much, but this truly is a great achievement. I'm kinda jealous of the guys who helped out =P I wish I was one!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That is most certainly an accomplishment and a half! Great sense of dedication and awesone-ness!

He deserves a medal to be sure!

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
It's really cool...but I have to wonder why you would want to play video games when you can't see what's going on.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Okay....this is great and amazing, but I thought coming into this thread that he actually beat it....by himself, with no help at all, only armed with a 64 and a controller (like how Daredevil can see with sounds) still though, awesome job

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
That is the single most awesome thing that is ever going to happen... Ever.

I guess we can just stop now...

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
I don't even think I could come close to the dedication required to merit an achievement equal to that. Some may see just a game, I see a man with a purpose who stuck it out no matter what difficulties he may have encountered during the process.