Activision Responds to Infinity Ward Lawsuit, Is "Disappointed"

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Activision Responds to Infinity Ward Lawsuit, Is "Disappointed"

Activision has issued a public response to the lawsuit filed by co-Infinity Ward founders Jason West and Vince Zampella, calling it "meritless" - and meanwhile seems to be trying to link the duo to rival publishers like EA.

When we first learned that former Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella were Infinittwardämmerung [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98857-Ex-Infinity-Ward-Bosses-Sue-Activision-for-Unpaid-Royalties] from earlier this week, it was inevitable that the industry giant wouldn't take these claims lying down.

In a public response, Activision has called the claims in the suit "meritless," and expresses that it is "disappointed" in the actions taken by the two men. The Activision statement notes that the publisher provided the financial capital and independence needed to start Infinity Ward in the first place, and says that the two ex-executives failed to "honor their obligations" under contract, justifying their termination.

Activision would also like to remind everyone (as per this statement) that it owns the Call of Duty franchise, though the statement curiously does not mention Modern Warfare in particular.

[blockquote]Activision is disappointed that Mr. Zampella and Mr. West have chosen to file a lawsuit, and believes their claims are meritless. Over eight years, Activision shareholders provided these executives with the capital they needed to start Infinity Ward, as well as the financial support, resources and creative independence that helped them flourish and achieve enormous professional success and personal wealth.

In return, Activision legitimately expected them to honor their obligations to Activision, just like any other executives who hold positions of trust in the company. While the company showed enormous patience, it firmly believes that its decision was justified based on their course of conduct and actions. Activision remains committed to the Call of Duty franchise, which it owns, and will continue to produce exciting and innovative games for its millions of fans.[/blockquote]

It sounds reasonable, but then again these arguments always sound reasonable beforehand - West and Zampella's did, too. That's what the court is for, of course.

Intriguingly enough, G4's Patrick Klepek managed to get his hands on what he calls "Activision internal legal memo from a source close to the company" [http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/702978/Activision-Seeking-Internal-Documents-Related-To-West-Zampella-AndElectronic-Arts-.html] that, if genuine may well clarify exactly what angles Activision is pushing.

"The Dispute involves West and Zampella's management of IW, as well as the development and marketing of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 ("MW2"), and potential subsequent games developed by IW," says the memo - reportedly sent internally before any lawsuit was filed or publicly announced, "Activision believes that it has done nothing wrong and intends to vigorously defend any claims asserted by West and Zampella."

Activision seems to believe - even within the company - that it is legally in the right, and that the courts will uphold this. To bolster its case, however, it seems that the lawyers will be looking for documents proving a number of things including (but not limited to):

[blockquote]* "Documents regarding past, current or future IW projects, including but not limited to any and all businesses analyses of future projects (e.g. Modern Warfare 3)"

* "Documents regarding any potential 'spin out' of IW, including but not limited to any communications with IW employees, West or Zampella regarding forming a new studio independent of Activision"

* "Documents regarding West and Zampella's communications with Activision's competitors, including but not limited to Electronic Arts"[/blockquote]

The first and second aren't very surprising. Anyone who didn't expect a hypothetical Modern Warfare 3 to enter the picture at some point, raise your hand and slap yourself with it, and West and Zampella seeking to perhaps leave IW and start a new company isn't coming out of left field, either. It's the third that's the interesting one, though.

Apparently, Activision thinks that West and Zampella were talking to its competitors, naming Electronic Arts by name. That seems to be the big one, and if Activision can find any evidence of that, it may well have a case on its hands.

West and Zampella are reportedly seeking "at least $36 million" [http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/04/ex-infinity-ward-bosses-seek-at-least-36-million-from-acti-suit/] in damages, plus control over the Modern Warfare brand.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I hate the American legal system...It's ruining our country.

But I think Activision is right here.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
I'm curious why do some people still think this is some sort of elaborate publicity stunt to distract from the release of Bad Company 2?

Edit: Also why can't I type.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
CD-R said:
I'm curios why do people some people still think this is some sort of elaborate publicity stunt to distract from the release of Bad Company 2?
I don't think it was something that Activision cooked up suddenly with the specific purpose of distracting from Bad Company 2, of course.

But, I also admit that the timing was pretty beneficial to them. So at my absolute most, tinfoil-hat, checking-my-car-chassis-for-bombs conspiracy-minded, I might call it a "two birds, one stone" scenario.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

o_O

This is what you just said:

"I don't like the things that allow people to have intellectual property and I think that those who want to remove intellectual property rights from some and give them to others are cool dudes."

I just want to make sure we're on the same page here. I'm sure something about capitalism will come up in this thread at some point as well so I'll just go ahead and put this out there.

Oligarchies/=/Capitalism.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
If Infinity Ward had plans to go with EA, or start their own company, Activision has the right to fire them, as hard as it is to admit. I still don't approve of their treatment of the series as a whole though. The possibility of the Call of Duty series continuing without Infinity Ward is a bit troublesome.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Credge said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

o_O

This is what you just said:

"I don't like the things that allow people to have intellectual property and I think that those who want to remove intellectual property rights from some and give them to others are cool dudes."

I just want to make sure we're on the same page here. I'm sure something about capitalism will come up in this thread at some point as well so I'll just go ahead and put this out there.

Oligarchies/=/Capitalism.
Activision owns the rights. They can do what they want. Besides, I always did like Treyarch more than IW.

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Whilst I do think that both sides have done things wrong here, I still have to say that I wish for those two guys to get what they want. That is, if they indeed never received their bonusses for Modern Warfare 2, which seems to be the catalyst to their actions.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
Activision: "Infinity Ward, I am dissapoint."

Kinda feel sorry for the guys who were kicked out of their own company.

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
I really hope Activision loses this case. They need to be taken down a peg or two.

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
Not even EA pulled this shit and expected to take the moral high ground when they were gamings baddies.

And just as they were about to paid royalties they get the sack thats just wrong.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
I would love to see these guys found their own company with the Modern Warfare name and absolutely crush it with MW3. I don't care if they are independent, or get published by EA or Take Two. Anything that puts less money into Activision's coffers is just fine by me.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
They can't make another Call of Duty game. I'm pretty sure Activision owns the rights. I could be wrong but eh.

I'd say EA is the lesser of two evils right now.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
John Funk said:
CD-R said:
I'm curios why do people some people still think this is some sort of elaborate publicity stunt to distract from the release of Bad Company 2?
I don't think it was something that Activision cooked up suddenly with the specific purpose of distracting from Bad Company 2, of course.

But, I also admit that the timing was pretty beneficial to them. So at my absolute most, tinfoil-hat, checking-my-car-chassis-for-bombs conspiracy-minded, I might call it a "two birds, one stone" scenario.
How is looking like greedy douches who screw thier devlopers out of money beneficial to them exactly? If anything it will make people want to trade thier copies of Modern in for Bad Company 2.