Ubisoft DRM Authentication Servers Go Down

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Ubisoft DRM Authentication Servers Go Down

Ubisoft's new DRM scheme is already causing problems, as the servers required to authenticate games went down today.

When Ubisoft announced its new DRM system, that required PC gamers to be connected to the Ubisoft servers at all times while playing, one of the biggest concerns that gamers had is what would happen if the servers went down.

Well, as it turns out, when the Ubioft severs go down, no one can play their games and Ubisoft customers get very upset. At around 8am GMT, people began to complain in the Assassin's Creed 2 forum [http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4721051016/m/7481010838/p/1] that they couldn't access the Ubisoft servers and were unable to play their games. Fast forward ten hours and it seems that the problem still hasn't been resolved, despite the assurances from a Ubisoft representative that the servers were 'constantly monitored'

"I don't have any clear information on what the issue is ... but clearly the extended downtime and lengthy login issues are unacceptable, particularly as I've been told these servers are constantly monitored," said 'Ubi.Vigil', adding, "I'll do what I can to get more information on what the issue is here first thing tomorrow and push for a resolution and assurance this won't happen in the future."

It's unclear whether this is a worldwide problem, or just a European one, but gamers are understandably frustrated. This is a disaster that everyone saw coming, but probably didn't expect to see quite so soon.

(Thanks to [user] Xanthious[/user] for the tip)

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Wow.. i wonder if they will just call this stupid DRM scheme a flop and move on to something that may actually do more than just annoy their customers.

I doubt it though.

Apr 28, 2008
All I can say is this:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
HA!

*ahem*

Hopefully Ubisoft realises what a stupid system this is and drops it.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Hahahaha! That'll teach 'em... or not. Probably not. They'll never learn.

Ah well, at least it gave me a laugh. Hopefully this will teach people not to buy games with crappy DRM in them.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
May I be the first to call `sabotage'? This all seems a little too convenient...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
AHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

I knew it! I fucking knew it!

Idiots.

Petition here: http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?ew15dl94&1

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
And so it begins....
I hope it completely cocks up and Ubisoft learn their lesson.

guardian001

Oct 20, 2008
So not only has AC2 already been cracked, but the DRM servers that let paying customers play the game are also down.

Well done Ubisoft. You sure showed those pirates not to mess with you.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
First the PS3, now the PC.

Now we just have to wait for every 360 in the world to stop working and the circle is complete!

...oh wait.

Davrel

Jan 31, 2010
Irridium said:
All I can say is this:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
HA!

*ahem*

Hopefully Ubisoft realises what a stupid system this is and drops it.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Burst6 said:
Wow.. i wonder if they will just call this stupid DRM scheme a flop and move on to something that may actually do more than just annoy their customers.

I doubt it though.
Yeah I reckon aye. Damn DRM always screws shit up, I dont know why they do it.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Ok Ubisoft, it's been only one week and you've had both games using the new scheme cracked before launch date and then your servers went down. Please, before you embarrass yourself any further, just stop. It's ok to admit a mistake.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
O well that's great to know, I've got AC2 coming tomorrow.

Another day of Battlefield me thinks.

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Why is it that everything Ubisoft (and EA... OH! And Activison) touches dies?