244: The Last Masquerade

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Last Masquerade

If there was ever a game that exemplified the term "flawed masterpiece," it's Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, a 2004 PC title that aimed high and very nearly made it. Logan Westbrook looks at what went wrong - and right - with Troika Games' swan song.

Read Full Article

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I love Bloodlines, warts and all. Few games have built the sort of atmosphere this game excels at creating. You touch on all of the important points that make the game great, and also point out places where it could be shored up.

Great article on a great game that, sadly, was too good to live. Yet it does, on my hard drive, persistent and refusing to die.

Maybe it's the whole vampire thing.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
I am sad now, I really miss Troika. Perhaps I should fire up Bloodlines or Arcanum this week.

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
It truly was a fantastic game. I loved the dark, brooding and downright depressing atmosphere, the whole feeling that no matter what you were doing the only person benefitting was someone pulling your strings and not you, and of course, Smiling Jack (voiced by John DiMaggio no less!)

Probably high time to play through it a fourth time...maybe as a Nosferatu, not tried them yet and I'm interested in seeing just how much having to get about using sewers as much as you can will change things.

GiantRedButton

Mar 30, 2009
Troika was a major force when it came to creating these fan patches ;)
They had enough freetime after activision fired them for their mistake.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I liked the article. It's funny really, just last week I started to reminisce about the game and made a segment about it. Guess it must be the weather, something just whispers Vampire the Masquerade in the night.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
personally it's one of my best time favorite for great ambiance/music/voices/characters, and a good vision of vampirism + the comunity patch is incredible !

too bad games aren't made that way anymore...

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
Always good to see someone bring this game back up into the light. There are still some small groups of modders who work on an "unofficial update" project to fix a lot of bugs and restore some of the unfinished content, and it's been over 5 years since the game went out. Now that's dedication.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
Bloodlines is/was awesome. And it got even better with the fan patches. It would have been so awesome if they would have finished the game the way they had planned to. Even in its unfinished state I consider it one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I've must have played it through 4-5 times by now.

Bobbovski

May 19, 2008
Orcus_35 said:
ps: i don't remember fighting a wereshark, but if you mean fighting the chinese Kuei jin woman i get it.
No, there's a side mission that you can get from a Japanese monster hunter girl that you can help. She wants to take revenge on "Hengeyokai" a fish demon/wereshark.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Not many RPG's even today match Bloodlines. Flawed as it is, modern RPG makers should take notes from it before being allowed to create anything. Given White Wolf's buyout by EVE Online maker CCP, I have high hopes for seeing more Vampire games in the future.

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
Bobbovski said:
Orcus_35 said:
ps: i don't remember fighting a wereshark, but if you mean fighting the chinese Kuei jin woman i get it.
No, there's a side mission that you can get from a Japanese monster hunter girl that you can help. She wants to take revenge on "Hengeyokai" a fish demon/wereshark.
Hilarious if you play as Malkavian and somehow "spoil" the future encounter.

And you find the japanese Demon hunter in the front portion of the Ramen noodle shop ;)

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I may have to check this game out, what has actually been modded back in?

TheWallsofJericho

Jun 8, 2008
This game, despite it flaws (which were greatly helped by those unofficial patches), is definitely one of my favorites of all time. It just has so much re-playability, variation, and style that few games have been able to match. Whoever has not played this game, and loves RPGs, for the sake of all that is good in the world, GET IT NOW! It's only 19.99 on Steam. Quite a bargain for a game that can be played and re-played over and over again. Just make sure to check online for the latest patch.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I don´t really care for any of it's flaws.It was still one of the best RPG's,if not one of the best games that I have ever played.

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
I was a Toreodor.
most irratating bug was when I was in the graveyard fighting zombies and the game crashes.

HOLD ON!
have Valve make a vampire masquerade game!
can you say "Awsome!"?

MisterStaypuft

Mar 11, 2008
I could never bring myself to play as anything but the malkavian chick. Maybe I just don't go for dark settings, but I needed that batshit humor.