Question of the Day, March 11, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, March 11, 2010

The Tron Legacy trailer makes us all tingly, but arcades like Flynn's are increasingly hard to come by. Have you ever been lucky enough to lurk in their dark corners?

Feb 13, 2008
I'm almost embarrassed to say that I skipped school to bus into the nearest city to play Gauntlet when it first came out.

Almost.

The embarrassing bit is that I also had three of my friends with me and we must have spent £10 each. And this is 10p for 500 health.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
A couple of times when I've been abroad. Me growing up in the Norwegian 90's there wasn't any arcades around, but when I went on holidays I usually found one to hang out in. And it was fun!

I guess it depends on what is defined as an arcade, though, because back home there was the odd center with a couple of machines, like a pinball machine, and air hockey table and a shooter, but I won't call that an arcade.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I wish they had arcades over here. I've been to one a few times once upon a time, but it closed a long time ago. :(

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Nothing beats hanging out in an arcade. However, we don't really have those around. But whenever I go to one of Swedens big amusement parks (We have about 1), I ignore all the rides and just go to the arcade, blow about 1000 SEK there, and then I have nothing to do for 3 hours.

tabriaswolfe

Jan 25, 2010
Luckily my hometown got a real arcade center by the time I was in Junior High so I was able to go hang out there every once and a while, but before that there was a mini-arcade (maybe 10 machines) at one of the local 'ranch & home' or whatever stores that had some of the classics.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
I had some fun times in arcades when I was young, there was one in the mall but they took it down and that sucked. Now I occasionally go to the arcades in movie theaters. The movie theater ones suck because they charge a dollar per game while the one in the mall was a quarter.

yay this makes 4114 posts; a palindrome =D (It's special to me!)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Nope. And don't really want to. The one near me looks to be DDR and giant racing game machines...Nothing like Gauntlet or other co-op games.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Many, many, many years of my youth were spent in arcades. From when I lived in Waikiki to long after I moved to Austin, I've always loved arcades. Unfortunately, the ones I spent most of my teenage years growing up in here in Austin are no more. Quite unfortunate, but I guess the demand is just gone for em.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
5 times in total? Only when I was in Croatia, there was nothing interesting to do.

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Oh man, the arcade as practically a day-care center for me. As bad as that sounds, I actually enjoyed it. My parents, when shopping, gave me the option of accompanying them or hitting the arcade. The response was as obvious as it was easy. I hit the arcade. I was there so much, even later in life, that the staff knew me by name. So when that was my first job in high school, no one was surprised.

I've probably spend thousands at arcades over the years, from the first DDR machine I'd ever played in the Galleria in Houston, to just about any conceivable location. Movie theaters, restaurants, malls, bars. I can actually still put together a DDR and ITG dance, having done it a few times. I miss those days, in all reality. The arcade's been almost entirely replaced by online play and so on. I don't think anything will ever match the feel of an arcade.

Ah well, one can always hope.

Dublin Solo

Feb 18, 2010
I used to hang in arcades for a single game: DDR. I must have spent hundred of dollars in those machines!

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
You ever been do Dave & Busters? yea, trying going to that place and not wanting to go back, mine had huge pods in the back for Mech games, i think they have a Gundam game going on in them right now, its been a few years sence i went.

ThisIsFiveEighteen

Sep 29, 2009
The only really good arcade I've ever been to was at a Skateville rollerskating place I went to often when I was 9-12. To this day my initials are still on their Soul Caliber machine's high score list several times over.

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
My town's not cool enough to have an arcade anymore. I mean they got a couple games at the movie theater, but I know that doesn't count.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I have spent a lot of time in arcades, but I tended not to spend a lot of money at them. I went there more to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy watching the competition than to play the exorbitant prices per game.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I've only been to... wait, resurfacing memories...
I have been to a few arcades. Damn, I have a faint memory... something from childhood...
A fething HUGE arcade... in an old converted hangar... damn, all I can tell is that there is a happy aura around that memory...